Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1963 650SS questions

Forums

Hi new to the forum and have just aquired a 1963 650SS (Feburary shipping date to Australia) basket case.

The frame is a roller with gearbox engine mounts. rear mudguard, seat oil tank, battery boxstill in place and the engine isin boxes.

Main parts missingare the gauges, headlight and headlight mounts. The bike has been stored since the late 70s, suprisingly the tyres still pumped up!

The problem I have is the parts list that I have only has part numbers for the missing parts mentioned above with no pictorial views, also photos I have seen are varied as to the detail, I also have several Norton books but information is sketchy atleast on what partsI need to know about.

So the questions I haveat this early stage are

1. did the 63 650SS come with the speedo in the headlight and tacho mounted off the top of the fork or where they separate?

2. If so are the headlights still available somewhere?

Otherwise I guess I will have to make do with an after market headlight and mount the tachos as per the later models, albeit they appear to only be on the 7 3/8 wide fork spacing?

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

Bikes in the collection so far 1951 TR5 Trophy,1955 Manx owned since 1972, 1967 TR250 Suzuki, 1969Triumph Daytona, 2 x GT750 Suzukis and a couple of Kawasakis bit of a mixed bag, but always wanted a 650SS

PM me mate, should be able to assist. Where RU? We are in Adelaide.

Rgds Steve

Previously wrote:

Hi new to the forum and have just aquired a 1963 650SS (Feburary shipping date to Australia) basket case.

The frame is a roller with gearbox engine mounts. rear mudguard, seat oil tank, battery boxstill in place and the engine isin boxes.

Main parts missingare the gauges, headlight and headlight mounts. The bike has been stored since the late 70s, suprisingly the tyres still pumped up!

The problem I have is the parts list that I have only has part numbers for the missing parts mentioned above with no pictorial views, also photos I have seen are varied as to the detail, I also have several Norton books but information is sketchy atleast on what partsI need to know about.

1. did the 63 650SS come with the speedo in the headlight and tacho mounted off the top of the fork or where they separate?

Otherwise I guess I will have to make do with an after market headlight and mount the tachos as per the later models, albeit they appear to only be on the 7 3/8 wide fork spacing?

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

Bikes in the collection so far 1951 TR5 Trophy,1955 Manx owned since 1972, 1967 TR250 Suzuki, 1969Triumph Daytona, 2 x GT750 Suzukis and a couple of Kawasakis bit of a mixed bag, but always wanted a 650SS

Previously mark_burgmann wrote:

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

I have the 1963 and 1965 Lucas tech leaflets. For 1963 all Dominators used the MCH 61 headlight with the speedo in the headlight. By 1965 only the SS models used this headlight. If you want a copy of the leaflet, let me know and I'll copy it and ppost it over. I'm in Melbourne and currently building a 1963 88SS.

Previously ian_richtsteig wrote:

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

I have the 1963 and 1965 Lucas tech leaflets. For 1963 all Dominators used the MCH 61 headlight with the speedo in the headlight. By 1965 only the SS models used this headlight. If you want a copy of the leaflet, let me know and I'll copy it and post it over. I'm in Melbourne and currently building a 1963 88SS.

Hi

Yes I would be interested in a copy, I had sort of narrowed it down to a MCH61, Had a look at a 1959 Matchless single that had the same headlight but could not read the part number. It had the lucas badge set in between the amp gauge and switch.

Best Regards

Mark

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

I have the 1963 and 1965 Lucas tech leaflets. For 1963 all Dominators used the MCH 61 headlight with the speedo in the headlight. By 1965 only the SS models used this headlight. If you want a copy of the leaflet, let me know and I'll copy it and post it over. I'm in Melbourne and currently building a 1963 88SS.

Hi

Yes I would be interested in a copy, I had sort of narrowed it down to a MCH61, Had a look at a 1959 Matchless single that had the same headlight but could not read the part number. It had the lucas badge set in between the amp gauge and switch.

Best Regards

Mark

Mark,

Drop me an emal to richtsteig1@optusnet.com.au with your address and I'll send you a copy.

regards

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

Hi

Best Regards

Mark

Mark,

Drop me an emal to richtsteig1@optusnet.com.au with your address and I'll send you a copy.

regards

If it is a help I attach mycopy of my last dommie (88SS) bought in Feb 68 (from the first owner in Edinburgh where I lived then) and this pic is June 68. I had not changed anything, I feel sure it was pretty well stock.

I'm sure the registration papers were for 1963 Probably early 63, it was Zener 12v with the zener under the front LHS of the tank, Lucas red label comp mag, 150 speedo in the headlight with I think the grey rev counter.

Attachments 88-ss-reduced-jpg

Best Regards

Mark Burgmann

Hi, I should have a spare headlight bucket that you require, email me for more info.

Cheers

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans