Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 Norton 650SS

Forums

I have just started a restoration on a what I believe is a 1962 Norton 650SS, the title says 1963 but that could have been when it was sold. the frame and engine #'s do match 104735 beside the vin # to the right is 18 stamped. on the rear above the breather is stamped 650SS and below that is 2018. I am a BMW guy mostly so I will be needing a bit of help to make sure I get everything perfect as it came from the factory. but I quess the numbers are as good a place as any to start. can anyone tell when this bike was built and what factory. I will also be looking for a very few parts bike is mostly complete only a few bits missing or incorrect. Thank you Tom

Previously tom_high wrote:

I have just started a restoration on a what I believe is a 1962 Norton 650SS, the title says 1963 but that could have been when it was sold. the frame and engine #'s do match 104735 beside the vin # to the right is 18 stamped. on the rear above the breather is stamped 650SS and below that is 2018. I am a BMW guy mostly so I will be needing a bit of help to make sure I get everything perfect as it came from the factory. but I guess the numbers are as good a place as any to start. can anyone tell when this bike was built and what factory. I will also be looking for a very few parts bike is mostly complete only a few bits missing or incorrect. Thank you Tom

Well from the factory data given to me by the NOC factory records data team your 650SS was built in September 1962, just before Bracebridge street works closed in October of that year Hope this help for parts see RMG Motors Beckermet Cumbria (01946 841517)

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

I have just started a restoration on a what I believe is a 1962 Norton 650SS, the title says 1963 but that could have been when it was sold. the frame and engine #'s do match 104735 beside the vin # to the right is 18 stamped. on the rear above the breather is stamped 650SS and below that is 2018. I am a BMW guy mostly so I will be needing a bit of help to make sure I get everything perfect as it came from the factory. but I guess the numbers are as good a place as any to start. can anyone tell when this bike was built and what factory. I will also be looking for a very few parts bike is mostly complete only a few bits missing or incorrect. Thank you Tom

Well your 650SS was built in September 1962, just before Bracebridge street works closed in October of that year Hope this help for parts see RMG Motors Beckermet Cumbria (01946 841517)

Thank you Anna. I just joined the club today but have been reading posts for a month or so. I for one appreciate all the help you give to everyone. As before I normally restore vintage BMW's and have not really done much on British motorcycles in the past 25 years but I do own 4 Nortons, & 3 Triumph's along with 38 BMW's. This 650SS will go into my collection and will be shown at vintage meets, to bad I'll never be able to ride the Norton due to a very bad motorcycle crash 12 years ago--I can no longer shift with my right leg so most of my British bikes will only be shown, polished & loved

Well from the factory data given to me by the NOC factory records data team your 650SS was built in September 1962, just before Bracebridge street works closed in October of that year Hope this help for parts see RMG Motors Beckermet Cumbria (01946 841517)

Another question I have seen 650SS models in pics that were silve/grey, or I have seen a few that the tanks were painted Black. do you have any idea if Black was a available color in 1962, personally I think the black tank models look alot better, but if that color was not available in 62 then I will have to paint it back silver/grey Thank you again

and the last question for now is there any info on this 650SS that would tell me if this bike were shipped to the U.S originally and also what dealer it may have been sold by. Thank you again Tom

Just a minor point (in case it causes any confusion!) I'm sure Anna meant to say 'RGM Motors' (http://www.rgmmotors.co.uk).

By the way, you will find their details (and lots of other suppliers) if you follow the 'Services' link from the NOC homepage (after you have logged in)

Tom:

If you want to find out the details of the bike as built as well as what dealer it was dispatched too, go to the records tab on the left hand side of the main page and it will tell you how to get them.

Mike

Well your 650SS was built in September 1962, just before Bracebridge street works closed in October of that year Hope this help for parts see RMG Motors Beckermet Cumbria (01946 841517)

Thank you Anna. I just joined the club today but have been reading posts for a month or so. I for one appreciate all the help you give to everyone. As before I normally restore vintage BMW's and have not really done much on British motorcycles in the past 25 years but I do own 4 Nortons, & 3 Triumph's along with 38 BMW's. This 650SS will go into my collection and will be shown at vintage meets, to bad I'll never be able to ride the Norton due to a very bad motorcycle crash 12 years ago--I can no longer shift with my right leg so most of my British bikes will only be shown, polished & loved Well you could use a long bar from the lever to the tank a just pull up or push down , as for dealer they all went though Berliner Motors in New Jersey and then on to there net work of dealers , as for colours the 1962 bikes did come in Polychomatic blue and less chrome with the 3.1/2 gallon tank and a black seat , But you may like the very early Norton Manxman Like the one I have from December 1960 the first 650 was built in November 7th 1960 well before any 650SS the So called Sports Special is a some what watered down version of the 650 manxman , the SS had more parts common with the other dominator's But the Manxman had lots of Special parts on it as it was the first of its Kind, See my photo take by a admirer of these machines and says they look cool , Yours Anna J

Attachments nec2012-jpg

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans