Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 Dominator

Forums

Hello,

I have just got a 1962 Dominator 600 from my uncle who had owned it since 1973 (it needs a lot of loving owing to it being sat in his garage since 1980 and many of the parts being in boxes). He was the 5th owner, It has matching numbers, and 40000 miles on the speedo. I have the original log book and a tax disc from 1978. Unfortunately I do not have a latest reg doc, from reading articles I should be able to retain the original number. This is my first Norton and I know virtually nothing about them, I was 3 when this bike was new, and grew up on Japanese bikes. I currently also own a 2005 Honda Fireblade.

I have read a lot of the articles on here ref colour, originality etc, one of my questions is: My uncle tells me that the bike was Grey and that the paint is the original. The frame and other items are a steel grey (Polychromatic grey?), the mudgaurds and shocks are dove grey? the top of the forks (where the headlight fixes) are chrome. I have seen pictures of all grey ones, grey and chrome, and grey / dove grey.

Could someone tell me if the tank was all Polychromatic grey, or if the bottom section of it was dove grey? The tank has been stripped of paint at some stage over the last few years and is a bit rusty. I am happy with the shock and mudgaurd colours remaining dove grey, i'm pretty certain that they are original. Unless anyone can advise differently.

Also, where is the best place to get any spares that I may require? The base of the seat has been attacked by some tin worm and needs replacing, The seat is grey with white piping, where can I get a replacement. Can you still get the rear shock absorbers etc?

many thanks

Ian

Hi Ian & welcome!

I wasn't born till '63 and am loving the brit bike scene here in the USA.

There are others on this site more familiar with your bike than I am, but I have had good luck with seats from P&P in Birmingham, UK. You can buy the entire seat for your bike (best bet), or just the cover. You may want to contact them first to be sure you get the right set with the right color, based on what other members have to say, as I have no idea what is the correct color.

According to Roy Bacon's "Norton Twins Restoration" book (not always correct, but the best I have found) lists the 1962 model 99 (600cc) colors the same as 1961:

polychromatic gray- upper tank,frame, fork shroud, headlamp shell, oil tank, battery cover, primary chaincase, chainguard.

dove grey- mudguards, lower tank, rear shocks.

options- chrome plated mudguards and primary case

As to spares, well everyone here has their favorite suppliers, and everyone has suppliers they wont deal with based on their pastexperiences. I have hadwonderfulparts & service from Norvil. Some heredon'tlike them very much. I say try different vendors & base your opinion on how you are treated, not by my opinion. Mick Hemmings, & RGM have also been very good suppliers for me. You will find there are a lot of Commando parts suppliers, but fewer dominator parts suppliers. But there wont be much of a problem finding just about anything you might need. You may like a dealer who is close to you, to save money on shipping. I personally buy quite a bit from my local Brit bike shop, BCF Cycles (shameless plug) and they deal with the distributors & often can sell me parts cheaper than if I buy direct & I am helping to keep another cool bike shop inbusinesswhile supporting the local economy. Be sure and check out the Norton Owners Club spares first, I was lucky enough to find a 600cc (model 99) dynamo cylinder for my model 77 there, after looking for nearly a year on the internet!

Good luck to you on the project, my model 77 was at one time owned by my dad (several owners back) so I understand how cool it can be getting a bike together that was owned by family. Take lots of pictures of the project & keep a journal if you can, believe me, you will not only enjoy looking back after your done, but its part of the bikes history,

If you don't already have one, the very first thing you should buy is a parts book, then a workshop manual (Haynes, etc.). I assume youdon'thave anyEnglishsize tools (whitworth,BA, etc.) don't try to use tools that are kinda' close, I like King Dick tools, or Snap-on, but you can also get economy importedwrenches(spanners), and sockets to get you started & upgrade over time. If my math is any good, It looks like you are 52, buy a hydraulic lift, or build a wood bench to put the bike on when working, it will pay for itself many times over in saving your knees & back ( I have the chiropractor bills to prove it).

All the best,

Skip Brolund USA

'57 Model 77

"50 model 7

Previously wrote:

Hello,

I have just got a 1962 Dominator 600 from my uncle who had owned it since 1973 (it needs a lot of loving owing to it being sat in his garage since 1980 and many of the parts being in boxes). He was the 5th owner, It has matching numbers, and 40000 miles on the speedo. I have the original log book and a tax disc from 1978. Unfortunately I do not have a latest reg doc, from reading articles I should be able to retain the original number. This is my first Norton and I know virtually nothing about them, I was 3 when this bike was new, and grew up on Japanese bikes. I currently also own a 2005 Honda Fireblade.

I have read a lot of the articles on here ref colour, originality etc, one of my questions is: My uncle tells me that the bike was Grey and that the paint is the original. The frame and other items are a steel grey (Polychromatic grey?), the mudgaurds and shocks are dove grey? the top of the forks (where the headlight fixes) are chrome. I have seen pictures of all grey ones, grey and chrome, and grey / dove grey.

Could someone tell me if the tank was all Polychromatic grey, or if the bottom section of it was dove grey? The tank has been stripped of paint at some stage over the last few years and is a bit rusty. I am happy with the shock and mudgaurd colours remaining dove grey, i'm pretty certain that they are original. Unless anyone can advise differently.

Also, where is the best place to get any spares that I may require? The base of the seat has been attacked by some tin worm and needs replacing, The seat is grey with white piping, where can I get a replacement. Can you still get the rear shock absorbers etc?

many thanks

Ian, Hello your paint work the metallic grey that you call polychromatic grey witch it is, Not that Colour at all the correct Colour is Norton Grey witch is a darker smoke grey than polychromatic grey ,And its a Metallic paint witch you may get from Nu-agane Paints Bedford .Phone 01234-355990. The Standard 650 was paint in Norton Grey all over , you try asking Chris Streather .he as a Colour list with the nearest Colour too the original as you can get , yours, Anna j Dixon East Yorkshire Branch

Just curious, can anyone else comment on the paint color? As I said earlier, Roy Bacons book is not always correct, but itspecifically says "polychromatic Grey" not Norton Grey (never heard of that color). Please lets hear from additional members here!

Skip Brolund

I don't know where the 1962 came from. mostly looks to be 1957 or earlier,wideline frame and tank,dynamo motor .

Previously wrote:

I don't know where the 1962 came from. mostly looks to be 1957 or earlier,wideline frame and tank,dynamo motor .

I'm not sure if this is in the right place? mine is definately 1962 and it has an coil etc.

Previously wrote:

Hi Ian & welcome!

I wasn't born till '63 and am loving the brit bike scene here in the USA.

There are others on this site more familiar with your bike than I am, but I have had good luck with seats from P&P in Birmingham, UK. You can buy the entire seat for your bike (best bet), or just the cover. You may want to contact them first to be sure you get the right set with the right color, based on what other members have to say, as I have no idea what is the correct color.

According to Roy Bacon's "Norton Twins Restoration" book (not always correct, but the best I have found) lists the 1962 model 99 (600cc) colors the same as 1961:

polychromatic gray- upper tank,frame, fork shroud, headlamp shell, oil tank, battery cover, primary chaincase, chainguard.

dove grey- mudguards, lower tank, rear shocks.

options- chrome plated mudguards and primary case

As to spares, well everyone here has their favorite suppliers, and everyone has suppliers they wont deal with based on their pastexperiences. I have hadwonderfulparts & service from Norvil. Some heredon'tlike them very much. I say try different vendors & base your opinion on how you are treated, not by my opinion. Mick Hemmings, & RGM have also been very good suppliers for me. You will find there are a lot of Commando parts suppliers, but fewer dominator parts suppliers. But there wont be much of a problem finding just about anything you might need. You may like a dealer who is close to you, to save money on shipping. I personally buy quite a bit from my local Brit bike shop, BCF Cycles (shameless plug) and they deal with the distributors & often can sell me parts cheaper than if I buy direct & I am helping to keep another cool bike shop inbusinesswhile supporting the local economy. Be sure and check out the Norton Owners Club spares first, I was lucky enough to find a 600cc (model 99) dynamo cylinder for my model 77 there, after looking for nearly a year on the internet!

Good luck to you on the project, my model 77 was at one time owned by my dad (several owners back) so I understand how cool it can be getting a bike together that was owned by family. Take lots of pictures of the project & keep a journal if you can, believe me, you will not only enjoy looking back after your done, but its part of the bikes history,

If you don't already have one, the very first thing you should buy is a parts book, then a workshop manual (Haynes, etc.). I assume youdon'thave anyEnglishsize tools (whitworth,BA, etc.) don't try to use tools that are kinda' close, I like King Dick tools, or Snap-on, but you can also get economy importedwrenches(spanners), and sockets to get you started & upgrade over time. If my math is any good, It looks like you are 52, buy a hydraulic lift, or build a wood bench to put the bike on when working, it will pay for itself many times over in saving your knees & back ( I have the chiropractor bills to prove it).

All the best,

Skip Brolund USA

'57 Model 77

"50 model 7

Hi Skip,

Thanks for your info, yes spot on with the age! I sent a picture to P&P Birmingham for the seat and they are getting back to me. I also found a picture on the internet of a bike the same age in the colour scheme you describe, but will investigate the other infomation provided.

I have started the picture album so it will be good.

Many thanks for now.

Ian

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello,

many thanks

Ian, Hello your paint work the metallic grey that you call polychromatic grey witch it is, Not that Colour at all the correct Colour is Norton Grey witch is a darker smoke grey than polychromatic grey ,And its a Metallic paint witch you may get from Nu-agane Paints Bedford .Phone 01234-355990. The Standard 650 was paint in Norton Grey all over , you try asking Chris Streather .he as a Colour list with the nearest Colour too the original as you can get , yours, Anna j Dixon East Yorkshire Branch

Hello Anna,

The bike is a 600, so I dont know if that makes a difference on colours? I have seen one on the internet with the same colour scheme, I will try the people you suggest to see if I can get a colour swatch to compare.

Ian

Previously wrote:

Hi Robert,

I think you meant to post on the "other" Ian (Burgess) project in heavy twins, he has a picture of his '57 Featherbed Dommie.

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello,

many thanks

Hello Anna,

The bike is a 600, so I dont know if that makes a difference on colours? I have seen one on the internet with the same colour scheme, I will try the people you suggest to see if I can get a colour swatch to compare.

Ian

Hello Ian I know the that You Machine is a Model (99) 600cc I had One back in the late 1970s. I have Had different Model's Of Norton Motorcycles over the past 43 years And Rebuilt at least 10 machines in that time and I have all the information on them and Roy Bacon Book Restoration Twins a lot of this Book Is in correct .As I have the 1962 Norton Sales Catalogue and in there It states the Colours Norton Grey and Dove grey , As for Polychromatic grey there are two Polychromatic grey's the first one is from 1952 to 1955 this Polychromatic grey that as Gold in it . And the 1955 to1959 polychromatic grey as a silver grey . nearest colour is VW platini Grey metallic . And I did Say ask Chris Streather The Librarian ,He as a List for the norton colours your Anna J Dixon Ps I now Own a 1954 Model 88 and a 1960 Norton Manxman 650

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello,

many thanks

Hello Anna,

Ian

Hello Ian I know that Your Machine is a Model (99) 600cc I had One back in the late 1970s. I have Had different Model's Of Norton Motorcycles over the past 43 years And Rebuilt at least 10 machines in that time and I have all the information on them and Roy Bacon Book Restoration Twins a lot of this Book Is in correct .As I have the 1962 Norton Sales Catalogue and in there It states the Colours Norton Grey and Dove grey , As for Polychromatic grey there are two Polychromatic grey's the first one is from 1952 to 1955 this Polychromatic grey that as Gold in it . And the 1955 to1959 polychromatic grey as a silver grey . nearest colour is VW platini Grey metallic . And I did Say ask Chris Streather The Librarian ,He as a List for the norton colours your Anna J Dixon Ps I now Own a 1954 Model 88 and a 1960 Norton Manxman 650

Previously wrote:

Hello,

many thanks

Ian

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello,

many thanks

Hello Anna,

Ian

Hello Ian I know that Your Machine is a Model (99) 600cc I had One back in the late 1970s. I have Had different Model's Of Norton Motorcycles over the past 43 years And Rebuilt at least 10 machines in that time and I have all the information on them and Roy Bacon Book Restoration Twins a lot of this Book Is in correct .As I have the 1962 Norton Sales Catalogue and in there It states the Colours Norton Grey and Dove grey , As for Polychromatic grey there are two Polychromatic grey's the first one is from 1952 to 1955 this Polychromatic grey that as Gold in it . And the 1955 to1959 polychromatic grey as a silver grey . nearest colour is VW platini Grey metallic . And I did Say ask Chris Streather The Librarian ,He as a List for the norton colours your Anna J Dixon Ps I now Own a 1954 Model 88 and a 1960 Norton Manxman 650

Hi Ian,

After exhaustive research with other members familiar with the Norton colors, I was told there is no truth, or proof of there ever being a gold undercoat below any version of polychromatic gray. One member has a NOS 1953 polychromatic headlamp & it has NO GOLD UNDERCOAT. I am sure at least one member with no proof will dispute me, don't take my word, check with any one of the paint shops that do vintage Norton Restorations, of better yet contact the restoration dept at the National Motorcycle museum in the UK to see how they do it? Paint shades will vary in color ( particularly paint with metal particles) based on many factors, for example: color of primer, lack of primer, amount of metal powder, how well the powder is mixed while spraying, temperature when painting, humidity while painting, type of thinner used, type of gun used, how the gun settings are adjusted, how heavy the paint is applied per coat, how many coats, etc., etc, etc. Its a wonder any 2 bikes were the same color . This has been a topic on this website more than once, & I am sure this wont be the last!!!

I might also suggest a look on this website for some interesting info:

http://www.nortonownersclub.org/support/technical-support-general/norton-colours-and-paints

Perhaps some members new to this post canrecommenda good paint source in the UK for Ian,unfortunatelyall my sources are in the USA. Any members wishing to give good infoanonymously(to avoid the rath) please PM me & I will forward the info under my name.

Skip

This just in:

RS motorbike paints has beenrecommendedas a source for paint, polychromatic gray in particular. They do not require a basecoat on this color on their mix. Give them a call or email for mor info:

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-US/colours.php

They sell paintin small touch-up bottles suitable for repairing stone chips, aerosol cans (rattle cans) for larger repairs and 250ml (0.53 pint) upwards for spray guns.They also supply all the preparation and refinishing products that you will need to complete the repair of your motorcycle, scooter or classic motorcycle.

Skip

Previously wrote:

This just in:

RS motorbike paints has beenrecommendedas a source for paint, polychromatic gray in particular. They do not require a basecoat on this color on their mix. Give them a call or email for mor info:

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-US/colours.php

They sell paintin small touch-up bottles suitable for repairing stone chips, aerosol cans (rattle cans) for larger repairs and 250ml (0.53 pint) upwards for spray guns.They also supply all the preparation and refinishing products that you will need to complete the repair of your motorcycle, scooter or classic motorcycle.

Skip

Hi Skip,

Thanks for all the information I will have alook at the web site in a moment.

I have sent pictures to Chris Streather and he is going to come back to me in a couple of days with an answer, it will be interesting to see what the outcome is. I will let you know the info as soon as I have it. I won't be able to do this until next week as I am away from tomorrow until monday.

Once again many thanks

Ian

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans