Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 650SS spanners?

Forums

Does anyone know the rear wheel nut sizes ? - A 1/2" Whit. is a loose fit on the nearside and a 22mm spanner is a loose fit on offside! Also the adjusters are 1/8" Whit. but the lock nuts, which are larger, don't seem to fit anything ( about 3/8" across flats ). Did Norton have their own size spanners?

Previously guy_allen wrote:

Does anyone know the rear wheel nut sizes ? - A 1/2" Whit. is a loose fit on the nearside and a 22mm spanner is a loose fit on offside! Also the adjusters are 1/8" Whit. but the lock nuts, which are larger, don't seem to fit anything ( about 3/8" across flats ). Did Norton have their own size spanners?

R.T.Shelley made spanners have a look on ebay vintage tools

Sometimes you've just got to improvise. I've filed out many a slightly undersize spanner to get it to fit. I usually wrap a piece of insulation tape around them so I can quickly locate my 'special tools' when needed. After 50 odd years you'll be very lucky to have all original fixings on there.

Been out to the workshop, 1/2 inch whit is indeed the best fit ring spanner for both new stainless heads and the old originals. A Shelley 1/2 inch Whitworth will fit no better.

I have a large collection of Shelley tools and not a single ring spanner, ideal for wheel nuts. I collected tools from R T Shelley because of the links with Norton, eventually owning the company for a while. For many years, Shelley's made the tool kits for both Norton and MG, my two favourite brands The 1/2 inch ring is not far off perfect in my oppinion..

Previously neil_wyatt wrote:

Been out to the workshop, 1/2 inch whit is indeed the best fit ring spanner for both new stainless heads and the old originals. A Shelley 1/2 inch Whitworth will fit no better.

I have a large collection of Shelley tools and not a single ring spanner, ideal for wheel nuts. I collected tools from R T Shelley because of the links with Norton, eventually owning the company for a while. For many years, Shelley's made the tool kits for both Norton and MG, my two favorite brands The 1/2 inch ring is not far off perfect in my opinion..

Well the other spanner I like are Jembro spanners there nice set just right for a under seat tool kit, as there shorter than other spanners , and Jembro made a right angle spanner to fit the Lucas magnetos the one thats hard to get to, so look out for that one, and then you have William superslim spanners there really good, then theres good old Bedford spanners, there very nice, and spearpoint spanner are like jembro, very nice, and you need to try get some Terry spanner for the small BA nuts and bolts on a Norton like magneto nuts and bolts . they fit cable adjusters and the back wheel adjuster bolts 1/4. 26 tpi well have fun , and have happy riding in the sun ! yours anna j

Thanks Anna. I probably had all the correct tools in the late 50's and 60's but they have disappeared over the years. I always said it's only the things you throw out that you later need! - Guy.

Previously neil_wyatt wrote:

I have a large collection of Shelley tools and not a single ring spanner, ideal for wheel nuts. I collected tools from R T Shelley because of the links with Norton, eventually owning the company for a while. For many years, Shelley's made the tool kits for both Norton and MG, my two favorite brands The 1/2 inch ring is not far off perfect in my opinion..

Well the other spanner I like are Jembro spanners there nice set just right for a under seat tool kit, as there shorter than other spanners , and Jembro made a right angle spanner to fit the Lucas magnetos the one thats hard to get to, so look out for that one, and then you have William superslim spanners there really good, then theres good old Bedford spanners, there very nice, and spearpoint spanner are like jembro, very nice, and you need to try get some Terry spanner for the small BA nuts and bolts on a Norton like magneto nuts and bolts . they fit cable adjusters and the back wheel adjuster bolts 1/4. 26 tpi well have fun , and have happy riding in the sun ! yours anna j

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans