Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1962 650SS exhaust

Forums

Text to go with my post, the attachment went when i posted but the text disappeared !

I am having trouble identifying the exhausts fitted to a 1962 650SS. They are not the standard items usually seen, which are handed LH and RH.

These are symmetrical with a weld seam at each end. Can anybody help me identify these please ?

If they can be identified where can i purchase a new pair ?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Ian Hind

Attachments 650SSd.jpg

I had a set similar to these fitted to my 1965 Atlas.

Apparently, the pipes are reduced from the cylinder head flange onwards to help speed up the gas flow and make them more efficient.

It must have worked on my bike as with a single carb conversion I got 60mpg instead of the 45 which most twin carb set-ups gave.

Previously wrote:

I had a set similar to these fitted to my 1965 Atlas.

Apparently, the pipes are reduced from the cylinder head flange onwards to help speed up the gas flow and make them more efficient.

It must have worked on my bike as with a single carb conversion I got 60mpg instead of the 45 which most twin carb set-ups gave.

Thanks Phil, have you seen this silencer type before ?

Previously wrote:

Silencer is a cheap and nasty copy of the cigar/cheroot that was fitted to many models from 1960.

You can go for the assymetrical silencers, which are still made and generally look better.(I think!) They would have been used on a 1962 ss. The type you have were more often on the DeLuxe modesl with the full enclosures. Wassel does the best one that I've seen. Armours have a messy welded tail-end instead of the proper rolled-in end, which the Wassel and at least one other maker (unknown) uses.Armours are cheaper though. I have Armours on my Navigator (on it when I bought it) and Wassel on the Dommie - or they will be when it's re-assembled!

I agree with Robert about the weld - it's a good example of what NOT to do!

Cheers, Lionel

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Silencer is a cheap and nasty copy of the cigar/cheroot that was fitted to many models from 1960.

Hello you should of said De-Lux models from1960 to 1962 when they were all dropped ,to slim down the models as there were to many to make any money from, As AMC finances were getting on the thin side , they were try to keep AJS And Matchless going But relieing on Norton sales to prop up the AMC board And AJS and Matchless . And its a good thing you have a 650SS, And not a early Norton Manxman 650, Because the Exhaust and silencer were made at Bracebidge street Factory , And No one else as made any since then , So now they are Unobtainable to being like hens teeth to get hold of, You Need you friends if your going to find these items , and lots of money too ,as they are not cheap £££££ , yours Anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans