Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1961 SS Dominator advice

Forums

Have only just become a member in the last 2 weeks so go easy on me...have just purchased a 1961 ss dominator 500cc.....I am encountering a slight hiccup upon acceleration...tickover is fine....high revs are fine with the odd blip now and again....however the first quarter turn of the throttle is not responding if I twist the throttle quickly.....if I open up the throttle slowly it responds fine.....does anybody have any suggestions that can perhaps point me in the right direction....not sure if I should be looking for something timing related or maybe carburrettor related......any help greatly appreciated. Russ

hello have you got twin carbs and as yours bike got a magneto or coil ignition is there any spitting back through the carb its all a question of elimination start with the carburettor yours anna j

hello have you got twin carbs and as yours bike got a magneto or coil ignition is there any spitting back through the carb its all a question of elimination start with the carburettor yours anna j

Previously wrote:

Thank you for your response...I have twin carbs..and am just going into the garage now to look underneath the tank to see if I can see any coils...as yet I dont know..Russ

Previously wrote:

Thank you for your response...I have twin carbs..and am just going into the garage now to look underneath the tank to see if I can see any coils...as yet I dont know..Russ

Previously wrote:

It looks like it has a magneto..oh this is new territory for me as I have only had coil ignition bike previously..will have to start reading up on this

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

It looks like it has a magneto..oh this is new territory for me as I have only had coil ignition bike previously..will have to start reading up on this

hello your machine should be in Norton Forest Green &Dove Grey Fitted with a Magneto and twin down draft Amal Carburettors 376/288 & 376/289 1inch/1/16th with connecting banjos the main jet should be a 250 and pilot jet is 25 the cutway slide 3.1/2. needle position 3 from the top .needle jet is a 106 , But with this New Bio-ethanol You Will Need a new float and float needle and drop the main jet size to 230 as with this new bio-ethernol the carburettors tend to run rich , black soot onthe plugs tells youare running rich and you will see black smoke when you open the throttel , As for the Magneto theres nothing to fear with a Good magneto you machine will have ben fitted with a manual advance and retard magneto so this mean you start your machine in the retarded position ,and these magneto,s are easy too stip down things You need too know, Is check the cam-ring and the points these do come out complete just undo the small center nut and take it out, and with small screw driver you need too ease out the bass back plate with the points on it, you will find a small noch on one side that there to locate the back plate in place so you do not lose your timing, the cam-ring needs a very small amount of grease on it to lubricate the points cam follower, and check you have the rigth plugs, In you can get your spark plug on line from THE GREEN SPARK PLUG Co you should have N4 champion In your Machine , the frist 88SS was Number 122/96539-88SS built march 1961 ? hope this helps yours anna j

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

hello your machine should be in Norton Forest Green &Dove Grey Fitted with a Magneto and twin down draft Amal Carburettors 376/288 & 376/289 1inch/1/16th with connecting banjos the main jet should be a 250 and pilot jet is 25 the cutway slide 3.1/2. needle position 3 from the top .needle jet is a 106 , But with this New Bio-ethanol You Will Need a new float and float needle and drop the main jet size to 230 as with this new bio-ethernol the carburettors tend to run rich , black soot onthe plugs tells youare running rich and you will see black smoke when you open the throttel , As for the Magneto theres nothing to fear with a Good magneto you machine will have ben fitted with a manual advance and retard magneto so this mean you start your machine in the retarded position ,and these magneto,s are easy too stip down things You need too know, Is check the cam-ring and the points these do come out complete just undo the small center nut and take it out, and with small screw driver you need too ease out the bass back plate with the points on it, you will find a small noch on one side that there to locate the back plate in place so you do not lose your timing, the cam-ring needs a very small amount of grease on it to lubricate the points cam follower, and check you have the rigth plugs, In you can get your spark plug on line from THE GREEN SPARK PLUG Co you should have N4 champion In your Machine , the frist 88SS was Number 122/96539-88SS built march 1961 ? hope this helps yours anna j

wow this is incredible...the first classictwin I have ever owned and within a few days have had advice off some really nice people.....annathe fact that you are sharing so much knowledge with me speaks volumes about you...thankyou very much indeed....and may I say I am a person who very much respects people who take the time out to share their knowledge with novices like me.....I spoke with a chap this afternoon from Amal.....at first because I didnt have the confidence to strip my carburettor I was going to send them away to be overhauled.....this chap actually talked me through the stripdown procedure...checked what jets I had in and suggested I put the spring clip on the top notch.....what a helpful man...I built the carbs back up after blowing everything down and setting the heights of the choke slides and throttle slides also.....she now fires up beautifully.....set the mixture a little.....she is revving 10 times better now......and also wen trying to start it hot it wasnt possible.....but now she starts every kick, hot or cold.........the bike still coughs slightly upon very quick blips of the throttle, but at least now I am able to enjoy riding it for the first time in 3 weeks...after reading your feedback, I will now have a go at looking at the advance and retard as when I operate my handlebar lever, nothing happens....all I get is a slack wire cable...the cable just loops out of the lever , so am wondering if something has siezed on the mechanics....oh the amal guy told me I should have monobloc carbs fitted...I actually have concentrics fitted.....so at some stage may go back to the originals when funds allow.....anyway thanks again.....Russ

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

wow this is incredible...the first classictwin I have ever owned and within a few days have had advice off some really nice people.....annathe fact that you are sharing so much knowledge with me speaks volumes about you...thankyou very much indeed....and may I say I am a person who very much respects people who take the time out to share their knowledge with novices like me.....I spoke with a chap this afternoon from Amal.....at first because I didnt have the confidence to strip my carburettor I was going to send them away to be overhauled.....this chap actually talked me through the stripdown procedure...checked what jets I had in and suggested I put the spring clip on the top notch.....what a helpful man...I built the carbs back up after blowing everything down and setting the heights of the choke slides and throttle slides also.....she now fires up beautifully.....set the mixture a little.....she is revving 10 times better now......and also wen trying to start it hot it wasnt possible.....but now she starts every kick, hot or cold.........the bike still coughs slightly upon very quick blips of the throttle, but at least now I am able to enjoy riding it for the first time in 3 weeks...after reading your feedback, I will now have a go at looking at the advance and retard as when I operate my handlebar lever, nothing happens....all I get is a slack wire cable...the cable just loops out of the lever , so am wondering if something has siezed on the mechanics....oh the amal guy told me I should have monobloc carbs fitted...I actually have concentrics fitted.....so at some stage may go back to the originals when funds allow.....anyway thanks again.....Russ

Hello Russ Sound Like some one as fit a ADT sprocket to your magneto ? and I have A pair of amal 626 smooth bore with Bass sides fitted made for racing I was think of selling them for £100 and there jetted for a 88ss , Anyway good luck and Happy Riding My Machine Is the Oldest 650 In the UK a 1960 Norton Manxman Built December 1960 it sent 38 years in New York City , now back in the uk and rebuilt by me? Yours Anna J dixon Secretary East Yorkshire Branch Top Branch For 2011

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

Hello Russ Sound Like some one as fit a ADT sprocket to your magneto ? and I have A pair of amal 626 smooth bore with Bass sides fitted made for racing I was thinking of selling them for £100 and there jetted for a 88ss , Anyway good luck and Happy Riding, My Machine Is the Oldest 650 In the UK, A 1960 Norton Manxman Built December 1960, It spent 38 years in New York City , now back in the uk and rebuilt by me?SeeNOC Branches ?? Yours Anna J dixon Secretary East Yorkshire Branch Top Branch For 2011

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans