Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1960 Dominator Black & Dove Grey !!

Forums

Hi Norton owners

It is now 18 months since I started the restoration on my 1960Dominator 99 and began using the message board, well now the job is complete.

So I thought you all would like to see the fruits of my labour, please feel free to pass comment.

Many thanks for all the help Ianb

Attachments Norton-3.jpg

Nice job Ian, I particularly like the valenced front mudguard (often changed for a blade type) and the ex pipes which often have ugly corners, if i am being ultra pickey i would prefer the cheroot silencers with a little more kick up at the rear, this type were standard in 1960 ,but not easy to find in the right finish and shape. Looks like a mag or electronic unit fitted?.

Looks very tasty. My own 99 cafe racer is almost done but I am wrestling with the dreaded Petseal in leaky tank problem. I have discovered a hairline crack in the Manx aluminium tank which I was planning to use. (See pic) I have just got some dichloromethane which I hope will clear the Petseal and allow the crack to be welded.

Attachments IMGP2099.JPG

Ian,

I am currently restoring a 1960 99 de luxe. It has the same front mudguard as yours. However im not sure about the stays. I currently have 2 short stays and 1 u shaped one. not sure if this is correct.

Does yours have 4 short ones? I cant tell from photos or parts list etc.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. The bike looks very nice.

Many thanks

Matt

Hello All this machine looks very nice job But it would but better in the right colour Blue and dove grey , it all right some one restoring a machine But when it not in the right colours you are de-value-ing All your hard work and your machine too when the time come too sell ? but luckley there was some 99's painted in Black and Dove grey but this was only a optional for 1960 by 1961 the 99's where in Blue And Dove Grey ,And the model 88's where In Red and Dove grey, Thats what it says in my 1961 Norton cataloge ,Hope this Helps

Hi Ian,

Love the bike as is! Great job! Dont listen to the Nay say er, its your bike & you can paint it any color you want & it reallydoesn'tde-value the bike at all (we have beaten that dead horse on another post). Not to mention, You could special order other colors than what "the book" says. I don't recall you asking anyone if your bike was "the correct" color? Anyway, splendid job, now get out there & get some miles on it before winter sets in!

Skip

Previously wrote:

Ian,

I am currently restoring a 1960 99 de luxe. It has the same front mudguard as yours. However im not sure about the stays. I currently have 2 short stays and 1 u shaped one. not sure if this is correct.

Does yours have 4 short ones? I cant tell from photos or parts list etc.

Any help would be muchly appreciated. The bike looks very nice.

Many thanks

Matt

Hi Matt, the stays should be 4 short ones , not sure if all the same length,i will measure mine , i have some spare DL metalwork but not stays.

Previously wrote:

Hello All this machine looks very nice job But it would but better in the right colour Blue and dove grey , it all right some one restoring a machine But when it not in the right colours you are de-value-ing All your hard work and your machine too when the time come too sell ? but luckley there was some 99's painted in Black and Dove grey but this was only a optional for 1960 by 1961 the 99's where in Blue And Dove Grey ,And the model 88's where In Red and Dove grey, Thats what it says in my 1961 Norton cataloge ,Hope this Helps

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans