Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 Model 99 spoke type

Forums

Hi, I am restoring a 1959 model 99 and wanted to know if the wheels had the single butted spoke or used the straight type of spoke. I have various wheels to fit featherbed bikes and there are both types in use.

Thanks Andy

Yes, I agree with Robert. I still have a very rusty original 1959 99 rear wheel (I cut and threw away the knackered front one!) which has butted spokes.A knowledgable wheelbuilder will tell you the same thing.Butted spokes are still available in zinc finish. As an aside,a wheelbuilder has recommended to me never to use stainless spokes with stainless nipples as they tend to sieze - likestainless nuts & bolts do. Brass are best all round.

Cheers, Lionel

Yes, Robert and Lionel are correct. The 99 has butted spokes. As an aside, I broke 5 spokes jumping a hump-backed bridge in Kintyre back in 1978 and replaced them with straight spokes (all I could get in a hurry). They all eventually failed, the last one broke last year. So now my 99 is back to fully butted spokes. I have used stainless spokes successfully on a BSA, but with chromed brass spoke nipples and plenty of Copaslip.

Gordon.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans