Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 Model 99 chainguard

Forums

Hi, I am currently finding the last of the parts that I need to build a 1959 model 99 and not sure what is the correct chainguard, I have Norton singles so the twins are new to me, I have lots of books and data on the singles but very little on the twins.

Can anybody tell me if the 1959 model 99 used both options eg normal chainguard and the fully enclosed type, I looked at a chainguard on ebay and the advertisement mentioned that it was for 1958 and pre 1958 bikes, that makes me think that 1959 was different or possibly fully enclosed type.

I have a 1954 bolt up Dominator that is being used as a parts donor for other bikes and I wondered if this chainguard would be the same as used on the later model

I think a lot more questions will be asked by me as the build starts but after reading a lot of the previous posts it looks like their is a large amount of knowledge on twins out there that will be a great help.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards Andy

Hi Andy, I believe the chainguard you require is part number 21832. I have the parts book for 1959, it also lists the fully enclosed chainguard under âoptional equipmentâ part number ERCC7.I checked my 1961 parts book and the numbers for both are the same. Therefore the same chainguard was used on wideline and slimline frames. I have an original one fitted to my 1961 Model 50 and a reproduction one fitted on my 1957 model 99. The reproduction one is an exact copy (you would not tell the difference when comparing the two together).NOC Spares list a reproduction 21832 chainguard at £35, but are currently out of stock.The item currently on eBay looks the same but the picture only shows the rear end.

Hope this helpsRegards Alan

Hi Andy.

Upto and including58 the featherbedDominators' chainguard was fixed on two plain lugs, one midway along the swinging arm and the other (with 2 bolts) righton the pivot tube. For 59 this was changed. The swinging arm hadfour fixing points two above & two below; one roughly 3-4 inches from the pivot tube and the other ~6-7 inches further on. These were composed of what can best be described asa 'strap'bent half way around the swinging arm providing a lug top and bottom with a short piece of tubing through each to take the bolt. This was so the optional fully enclosed chaincase could be fitted. The chainguards for the 2 years are the same except for the fixture drillings and the 58 has a piece extending to the mounting on the pivot. I think I'm right in saying that the 54 guard is a different shapein that it doesn't cover as much of thethe rear brake plate as the later ones.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

Hi IanAn interesting point, what you say means my 1957 99 must be fitted with a later type swinging arm as it has the extra lower mountings for a fully enclosed rear chainguard. Its quite possible as many parts of the bike are none original.RegardsAlan

Yep - that looks right to me! My 1959 99 had the fully enclosed chainguard optional extra. I removed the bottom section when I changed to a 3/8" rear chain in 1965 because it clanged against the guard! Of course, I lost that bottom section over the last 46 years and had to hunt for a replacement afterI decided to put the bike (for "bike", read "pile of rust"!)back as it was "ex-works" concours (I'm not there yet!). I found an oldfull guard in pretty good nick at a Stafford Show a few years back, wot only cost me £40! I now have a full plus the top half of a full one! It was just as cheap as buying a repro standard guard. I know that they are great at collecting dirt and oil and spreading it all over the chain! No probs as I won't be riding it in the rain - or when it's dusty...or cold...or too hot..........! LOL!!

Happy New Year, Lionel

Hi, Thanks for the prompt replies this has answered my question very well, the 1954 domi chainguard I have is different to the 58/59 photos that you posted.

The frame is at the sand blasters so I will have to wait till it comes back to check which swingarm I have as I do not remember.

Thanks for the help

Cheers Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans