Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 Dominator brake lever

Forums

Hi Again,

I would like to know what parts on a 1959 Dominator 99 were chromed, for example were the handlebar retaining clamps chromed, or the rear brake levers etc.

I have looked at many photos and they are not all the same,I plan to go to the chrome plating shop soon and would like to only chrome what should be chromed, saves money and keeps the bike correct.

Thanks for the previous help and thanks in advance for any help on this request.

Cheers Andy

Hi Andrew,

As it happens I have a 1959 Dommie 99 for which I am only the second owner! I bought it from Pride & Clarke in 1965 as a wreck -at only 6 years old! I am aiming for concours as it was a wreck when I started my restoration. I don't intend to use stainless steel items if they are visible.

All Bracebridge Street Dommies had chromed external screws, nuts, bolts & washers. All were satin-chrome, except the mudguard and brake fittings, wheel spindles,driver's footrest nutsand primary chaincase access disc and retaining nut, which were all bright finished. I.e. all visible engine nuts, screws, bolts and studs are satin-chrome. Many are still available from Custom Fasteners in Powys, Wales. They are the only people I know who do bright and satin chromed fittings. The chaincase retaining nut and inspection discare available in bright chrome from several dealers - including Andover Norton I think.

The brake pedal wasn't chromed, neither were the handlebar clamps. The front and rear brake lever arms and retaining nuts & washers were both bright chrome. An option for 1959 was chromed mudguards - which my bike had. These would need chromed stays too.

When I first bought my bike, customising them was the thing todo, so I had many parts chromed - including engine plates & covers, primary chaincase, rear brake pedal, top fork yoke and handlebar clamps.

Good luck, Lionel

Hi Lionel,

Thanks for the info, your bike sounds like the ideal bike to restore being the 2nd owner you should have a correct bike to start with. My bike only started a couple of weeks ago when I walked into the local british bike shop and when I was looking around for parts for another bike I noticed a 99 motor on the floor.Went away and thought about it that night and realised I had most of the bike already as spares so my first Norton twin.

looks like only the obvious things like the brake, clutch, choke etc need chroming plus the items you mentioned. I am not aiming for concours with this bike so I might use stainless where I can but this depends on the time I have at the lathe, the harder parts I will most likely purchase.

This build is practice for a 1957 inter which I will try to get as close as possible to correct, the wideline bikes are new to me as I mostly have 1930's Nortons,previously I would only have rigid or maybe plunger modelsbut the featherbed Nortons are growing on me.

Thanks again for your help

Cheers Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans