Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1958 Model 88 front mudguard and headlamp holder

Forums

We are in the process of restoring a 1958 model 88 and wondered if anyone knows if there is anywhere where we can obtain an original looking front mudguard and original looking headlamp holder. Have seen a few Indian made mudguards advertised but they don't replicate the stylish lines of the original. Same applies for headlamp holder most advertised don't seem to be sweep back enough towards the forks like on the original. Any advice would be welcome

Hi.

The mudguard you want for this year of Dommi had a 'dart' stamped into the front of the guard and a 'guide' for the front brake cable tacked onjust behind where the right fork leg goes. Try Renovation Spares or RGM. I've seen some reasonable ones up on E-bay so someone must be making them.

The headlamp shell is more problematic. The one you're after has the central speedo hole with a hole for a Lucas badge in front, switch hole to the left, ammeter to the right of it (viewed sitting on the bike). The Dommi's used these from 58 (when coil ignition came in) through to (according to Roy Bacon) 64 depending on what ignition was fitted. These are hard to come by and go for a premium - expect to pay anything up to £100 on E-bay. The same type was fitted to Panthers of the time which is how I found mine.

Cheers.

Ian.

Previously wrote:

Hi.

The mudguard you want for this year of Dommi had a 'dart' stamped into the front of the guard and a 'guide' for the front brake cable tacked onjust behind where the right fork leg goes. Try Renovation Spares or RGM. I've seen some reasonable ones up on E-bay so someone must be making them.

The headlamp shell is more problematic. The one you're after has the central speedo hole with a hole for a Lucas badge in front, switch hole to the left, ammeter to the right of it (viewed sitting on the bike). The Dommi's used these from 58 (when coil ignition came in) through to (according to Roy Bacon) 64 depending on what ignition was fitted. These are hard to come by and go for a premium - expect to pay anything up to £100 on E-bay. The same type was fitted to Panthers of the time which is how I found mine.

Cheers.

Ian.

Thanks for the advice Ian , I'll have look out for a panther light suround as well.

Hi Christopher, The item you are looking for is usually termed a headlight shell, or bucket (in the USA) , they do turn up, i have a spare (battered) one somewhere.THe Headlight brackets are the type with a hole (not the slotted Commando type) ,i have some of those too,Made in good old Bracebridge St ,or most likely at Shelleys nearby.The mudguard came in several forms (with the dart) ,Blade or vallenced ,I have a (yes battered!) vallenced one somewhere,these were usually fitted to the latter DL models.The pattern PSR8 switches are poor.

Hi Christopher,

I have a the headlight shell that you need, I am in Australia but I will take a photo and send to you if you like. The headlight shell is bare but in good condition.

Cheers

Andy

If you are in the UK and can visit Kempton Park Auto jumble or the Stafford Bike Show in April you need to seek out Fred Williams, who makes quite passable repro Norton tinware including front mudguards for various models and years. They have the correct front "flute" or "dart". He also makes the "dashboard" for the 1955 Dommies and numerous other parts. I bought a front mudguard from him about 3 years ago for £60 but I don't know what they cost now. If you get back to me I'll ask him and if he has one in stock I can take pics when I go to Kempton later this month.

Cheers,

Lionel

PS. Fred also makes the front M/g stays, which are normally undrilled and unfinished, but they polish up well enough for chrome-plating if you need it.

Lionel

Hello 1958 Model Dominator 88 and 99 all have the same headlamp shell and brackets this the first year for the Alternator and the lights and ignition switch was the PRS8 .the headlamp shell as the ammeter and speedo and switch fitted into the headlamp shell there is no panels ,like the earlier models, The front mudguard are not the same a The Indian made ones on Ebay, advertised As wideline there are Not wideline at all the for the Slimline models , the 1958 Model 88/99 are the same front mudguard as earlier Models from 1955 on to 1959. The 1953 to1954, have a different front mudguard. hope is helps yours Anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans