Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1958 Dominator cafÃ? racer, new owner - questions

Forums

Hello,

I have recently purchased a very nice 500cc Dommie. This bike was rebuilt to cafe racer spec in 1972 and since then has spent most of it's time in storage. Apparently it was refurbished a couple of years ago but up to this point I do not know very much about it from a mechanical perspective.

This was a bit of an impulse buy as I was looking for a classic bike for a long time but I could never find time to actually view one. I have recently moved to Germany with work so going back to the UK to view bikes on a regular basis was a bit of a non-starter. So, I saw it advertised on the excellent Car and Classic website and bought it 'blind'.

A couple of weeks later it arrived in Cologne and it at least looked the same as the photos! So the next step will be to have a very good look over this bike and check out what I have let myself in for. It was always meant to be a winter project so I guess the question will be to what extent will this 'rebuild' go to?

I have finally fitted out my cellar as a small workshop and have made some time to start my project this weekend and I cannot wait to get started. I would like to apologize in advance for the many stupid questions that I will inevitably be shamefully posting on this forum!

I have attached a picture of my bike if anyone is interested and I would appreciate your views and comments on whether I carry on with the cafe racer look or go back to a standard style Dommie?

Many thanks,

Jason.

Attachments image-jpg

Since it has swept back pipes and cafe racer tank and guards then that looks the way to go. Looks very pretty as is. Add a second carb to look even better, to go a bit better and make your maintenance a lttle bit more interesting...Just one opinion among many no doubt.You also need Bacon's 'Norton Twins Restoration'. Good luck!

Very nice.

The riding position isn't to everyone's liking, especially if you've got a dodgy back like me. Put a few miles in, if you don't like it you'll probably be able to flog the tank and seat and make enough money to bring it back to original. Either way, it's a sound investment. Enjoy!

Previously jason_wright wrote:

Hello,

I have recently purchased a very nice 500cc Dommie. This bike was rebuilt to cafe racer spec in 1972 and since then has spent most of it's time in storage. Apparently it was refurbished a couple of years ago but up to this point I do not know very much about it from a mechanical perspective.

This was a bit of an impulse buy as I was looking for a classic bike for a long time but I could never find time to actually view one. I have recently moved to Germany with work so going back to the UK to view bikes on a regular basis was a bit of a non-starter. So, I saw it advertised on the excellent Car and Classic website and bought it 'blind'.

A couple of weeks later it arrived in Cologne and it at least looked the same as the photos! So the next step will be to have a very good look over this bike and check out what I have let myself in for. It was always meant to be a winter project so I guess the question will be to what extent will this 'rebuild' go to?

I have finally fitted out my cellar as a small workshop and have made some time to start my project this weekend and I cannot wait to get started. I would like to apologize in advance for the many stupid questions that I will inevitably be shamefully posting on this forum!

I have attached a picture of my bike if anyone is interested and I would appreciate your views and comments on whether I carry on with the cafe racer look or go back to a standard style Dommie?

Many thanks,

Jason.

Hello Well Just ride it as it is As it will cost a lot to get back to standard. A tank will knock you back around £500 and then you the mudguards they will not be cheap the back one around £300 the front around £190 to £200 then a seat are £130 then you head lamp holders are around £70 . so you need around £1500 to spend on it to get back looking something like standard .so just enjoy the bike as it is. yours anna j

There are a couple of things I would do if it were mine - but it's not! Anyway, I would recommend sticking to a single carb. Two might look cute but really the performance difference is negligible and it's just more hassle to set up and keep in tune.

I agree about the carb and if I were going to use it seriously I would make sure the mag is good, you never know what it's like internally. Lube the cables, change the oil and see how it goes. Anna is right about the cost, looks very nice, I would leave it as is, it's been like that for 40 years.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. It is really very much appreciated. The bike doesn't look quite as perfect as it does in the photos though. I will definitely be replacing all of the cables as they seem to be very tired. The throttle sticks open, there are no indicators and none of the lights are wired up either. The tank is fiberglass, and an old one at that, so I will expect some leakage from this too.Not really anything major to take care of at the moment but enough for me to get familiar with this Classic. I have come from modern machinery so I relish the chance of getting 'hands on' again. I am a Mechanical Design Engineer so I have the opportubity to design and manufacture some of the parts that may need replacing which will keep the cost down a bit too.

I will keep you all updated and prepare yourselves for the questions...........especially where the wiring is concerned!enlightened

Enjoy your weekend.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans