Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 Dominator clutch questions

Forums

i am on with the clutch on a basket case rebuild and notice on the parts list i have that the clutch has a clutch plate cover a2/396, i do not have one. is it just to stop the oil entering the clutch? is it a strenthener? what holds it on as its shown as a seperate item, bsa clutches had a band around tagged to the outer. did later dominator cluches run with out this band ok. i think i could tag weld a thin strip of metal onto the cluch basket but is it a must fit item, was the oil level different in the primary on later years so not a lot entered the clutch ?thanks in anticipation Arthur.

I don't have an illustrated parts list but supect that this is the band fitted around the clutch since pre-war days to reduce the amount of oil entering. It isn't structural and is just a light push fit around the drum.

If you're using original cork or woven inserts then the band is recommended but not necessary if you're using later / modern plates with bonded friction material as these don't absorb oil in the same way.

Previously arthur_fish wrote:

i am on with the clutch on a basket case rebuild and notice on the parts list i have that the clutch has a clutch plate cover a2/396, i do not have one. is it just to stop the oil entering the clutch? is it a strengthener? what holds it on as its shown as a separate item, BSA clutches had a band around tagged to the outer. did later dominator clutches run with out this band ok. i think i could tag weld a thin strip of metal onto the clutch basket but is it a must fit item, was the oil level different in the primary on later years so not a lot entered the clutch ?thanks in anticipation Arthur.

Now the you can make one out of a large biscuit tin and its a tin spring clip that holds in on there a grove around the top outer edge of the basket this is where it clips around it goes all the way round the out side of the basket and you can make the clip to from spring wire As no one in the After market does this item now , some small parts you have to make your self , so all the Best yours anna J

Previously anna jeannette Dixon wrote:

Previously arthur_fish wrote:

i am on with the clutch on a basket case rebuild and notice on the parts list i have that the clutch has a clutch plate cover a2/396, i do not have one. is it just to stop the oil entering the clutch? is it a strengthener? what holds it on as its shown as a separate item, BSA clutches had a band around tagged to the outer. did later dominator clutches run with out this band ok. i think i could tag weld a thin strip of metal onto the clutch basket but is it a must fit item, was the oil level different in the primary on later years so not a lot entered the clutch ?thanks in anticipation Arthur.

Now the you can make one out of a large biscuit tin and its a tin spring clip that holds in on there a grove around the top outer edge of the basket this is where it clips around it goes all the way round the out side of the basket and you can make the clip to from spring wire As no one in the After market does this item now , some small parts you have to make your self , so all the Best yours anna J

thank you for the straightforward replies ,i am using new plates and a new sprocket with bonded friction material inside so i will try it without the band, thanks for the advice

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans