Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 '88' centre stand

Forums

Werethere various types of centre stands for the Dominator manufactured during production?

I need to replace the centre stand on my 1954 '88' due to wear and it being buckled. I have another spareone but on comparison there are subtle differences, for instanceit has triangulated stops cast in on each side of the stand but dimensionally it appears the same as the original. Would a later one be suitable? Advice welcomed.

Regards, Paul

Paul Webb previously wrote on Wednesday 13th June 2012 at 14.32hrs:

Werethere various types of centre stands for the Dominator manufactured during production?

I need to replace the centre stand on my 1954 '88' due to wear and it being buckled. I have another spareone but on comparison there are subtle differences, for instanceit has triangulated stops cast in on each side of the stand but dimensionally it appears the same as the original. Would a later one be suitable? Advice welcomed.

Regards, Paul

Hello Paul,

Iâm assuming you mean the featherbed framed Dominators.

The featherbed centre stands did evolve and it makes for very interesting research.

I no longer feel inclined to post any details on this message board, for various reasons.

If there is any way of contacting you, I will try & put you in touch with one of the top UK experts on featherbed twins, who has owned pretty well every example.

If you have been collecting original parts for your â54 88, youâll most likely know who it is.

Paul

Previously wrote:

Paul Webb previously wrote on Wednesday 13th June 2012 at 14.32hrs:

Regards, Paul

Hello Paul,

Iâm assuming you mean the featherbed framed Dominators.

The featherbed centre stands did evolve and it makes for very interesting research.

I no longer feel inclined to post any details on this message board, for various reasons.

If there is any way of contacting you, I will try & put you in touch with one of the top UK experts on featherbed twins, who has owned pretty well every example.

If you have been collecting original parts for your â54 88, youâll most likely know who it is.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Any information would be appreciated. You can contact me direct spwebb1@btinternet.com

Regards, Paul.

Hi Paul,

Of course your '54 "88" has the featherbed frame, or it wouldn't be an "88"! I have a similar bike, 58th birthday for it next month (see pages 18 & 24 of Member's Bikes Gallery). If you have a spare centre stand fit it, only an "Anorak" will notice the difference. My bike is not 100% original, but there are no modifications that would not have been made by an enthusiast in the 50's (I know, I was riding a '53 model in '54). I think you will agree, my bike "looks right" Also it is used, not taken to shows on a trailer. John.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans