Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1953 Model 7 rear guard and stays

Forums

Is the 1953 ES2 rear guard the same as Model 7 if so where can I buy one

Hi Ernest,

It is the same part but they only made this for circa eighteen months and they are extremely rare. It may take years to find a real one, they are just not around. What you've also got to be aware of is that there are two different mudguards; a short hinged type that hardly any have survived and a full length hinged type.

The only replicas made are Indian and are AWFUL. Not a single detail is right.

Pic attached of a REAL one modded for a 55 model bike (hole positions and numberplate different) to give you an idea of what you are looking for.

Jim

Attachments dscn11950-jpg

Try Renovation Spares as they used to do that sort of mudguard for Norton twins, as i saw some thing like those in the pictureondisplay at the Kempton Park autojumble a few years back.It is now being run by Simon Stevens, phone number is 01527 402654, mobile is 07976 695435. His email is renovationspares@mail.com

Is the Model 7 rear brake pedal the same as the ES2 models, from the late 1940's to the 1950's, with the ridged frame?

Hi Anthony,

It isn't the same part. My 1955 partslist shows the number as H12/498 so it wasa new partfor 1953 and was used for both singles and twins (checked against the singles list for the same year).

Jim

I too have a 1953 Model 7 and had the same problem of locating a suitable set of guards for it's restoration. My solution was to use a rear guard from a 50's Matchless. The guard is almost identical. I had to do a little cutting and reshaping around the swinging arm pivot and where the chain guard fits. Tha main difference is that it has a rib running up the middle. I decided to live with this as it does not look out of place. It wouldn't be too dificult to flatten the rib on an english wheel. The shape size and construction are identical. If any members would like a picture of mine just email me. I picked mine up on ebay for £100 so much cheaper than a Norton one.

Paul Gibbons

Hi Paul,

Sorry but they are nothing like the same. AJS/Matchless guards have completely different valancing for a start. They are also narrower as the Norton guard is 7" wide while the AMC is 5 1/2".

Side by side they look completely different.

At the end of the day a mudguard is a mudguard but the wrong one will never look right. I've seen a few Model 7's with the wrong tinware and they don't look at all right.

Jim

Dear Ernest.

I have a 1955 model 7 swing arm, the club spares scheme supplied my rear mudguard, the stuff from Renovation spares use to be rubbish, not sure about current supplies, be ware, go and see before you buy.

Nick

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans