Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1930s panel tanks

Forums

Hi,

I have a 1934, 1937, 1938 panel tanks that I am restoring and they have been re chromed and the panels satin chromed.

I was told that that a black line was painted on the tank following the shape of the top panel, can anybody confirm this.

The person who prepares the tanks for chroming mentioned that he noticed a 20mm discolouration in the chrome around the top panel which he said is normally as sign of old paint.

Also did the panel have a rubber beading.

Looking foward to any reply.

Cheers

Andy

I'm looking forward to definitive answer...maybe Roger Deadman? All old photos seem inconclusive both on tank top lines and rubber strip but I thnk it is a 'no' on both. Some USA restorations have thin red line inside the beaded edge on the panel. Looks good but I dont think its correct. One thing though... the top panel should be matt chrome and not satin. Mine was matt on both sides after the crude paint came off. Sadly the plater messed up and gave a shiny satin finish. Life's too short to lose the panel to get it done as I wanted.But on both my oil and fuel tanks the best remaining original chrome was where the original black lines had protected them from rust. So if that was clear on your panel then perhaps it did have the line. Mine showed no such signs.David Cooper

And another thing... the red line was outside the black and direct on the chrome in 1937 and maybe 1938. Bacon's 'Norton Singles' gives the dates and it's visible on old pics.

Hello,I have a copy of a road test of a 1933 Norton 16H with a panel tank and it looks like it is a painted area around the panel but It is a bad copy so I am not absoluteley sure!!

Svein.

Hello I have just bought a 1930 16H with the provision for the speedometer. in the petrol tank. However the speedometer is missing. Does anyone have any information or a picture of the correct instrument.

Mike Chadwick

Previously svein_marken wrote:

Hello,I have a copy of a road test of a 1933 Norton 16H with a panel tank and it looks like it is a painted area around the panel but It is a bad copy so I am not absoluteley sure!!

Svein.

Even after fitment became compulsory in the UK in 1936, Nortons continued to list speedos as extra cost options. Purchasers could choose between 80 / 120 mph, illumination, trip / non-trip etc, all with savings or extra cost of a few shillings.

There is no standard pre-war speedo and for 1930, most owners probably fitted their own after purchase.

The earliest brochure that I have a scan of is 1936 :-

Apparently the dull-chromed panel was lacquered.

Also attached, an enlargement from the 1938 brochure.

Attachments 1936-04-2-jpg 1936-05%20-2.jpg technica

Attached is photo of my 1937 16H. The speedo has a maker's plate dated 1937 so it came either with the bike or at the same time.Also the dull plated panel before it was spoiled. I should have kept it but it would have looked wrong with a newly plated tank.Attachments dscn2866-jpg

The speedo looks bang-on, David. The chroming industry's failure to understand what dull chroming was and its complete inability to replicate it remains a major annoyance to me.

It can't be that difficult or obscure. Even cheap bicycles had components finished in this way well into the 1960s. Someone somewhere must know how it was done !

I would like to add to the query on Dash panel tanks: I have a tank to restore for my 1936 M18 but I am not sure what type of light switch should be fitted. Would it be the standard Lucas switch as fitted to the headlight? If so, the hole for it in my dash panel is too big. Could it have been the earlier type which fitted to the rear of the earlier type headlight (my tank is stanped as 1933). Also, what was the little switch at the bottom of the panel for? Could it be for dash lights?

Cheers

Ross

...little swich.. yes. Gauge lamp. One bulb lights both speedo and ammeter through apertures in their side.The switch is visible in the panel picture above. Do you want the diameter?

Thanks for your reply David. Does the switch have the light bulb attached to it or is it mounted separately ie closer to the speedo and ammeter? If I could get a picture of the little switch (not just the knob), that would be usefull. I wonder if the switch is available, I have been unable to find a Lucas part number and even the knob. Is the switch simply a two position job - on off?

Cheers

Ross

Underside of panel. The small switch is of course at the right.The single bulb on the bracket shines rather dimly into the sides of both the speedo and the ammeter. The blurred prong sticking up is the reset for the odometer trip. Best of luck - DavidAttachments panel-underside-jpg

Thanks David, that is exactly what I needed. If I could find the Lucas part number for that switch and it is available somewhere, it would be icing on the cake.

Thanks again

Ross

Previously ross_luff wrote:

Thanks David, that is exactly what I needed. If I could find the Lucas part number for that switch and it is available somewhere, it would be icing on the cake.

Thanks again

Ross

Prewar the Lucas switch was a model PS6 and Part No was 31276 which was superceded by the post war part no 31356. Post war had the arrow on the black switch but is dimensionally the same.

regards

Hi Richard , 

came across your post regarding queries on panel tank instruments from back in 

2014. My question is do you know where I can get the fixing bolts for the panel ? 

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards , Roy. 

I bought new ones at Russell Motors in 2014. Don't know if Les is still working in these times. I've called several times and it's either engaged or mo answer.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans