Skip to main content
000000 000003 000006 000009 000012 000015 000018 000021 000024 000027 000030 000033 000036 000039 000042 000045 000048 000051 000054 000057 000060 000063 000066 000069 000072 000075 000078 000081 000084 000087 000090 000093 000096 000099 000102 000105 000108 000111 000114 000117 000120 000123 000126 000129 000132 000135 000138 000141 000144 000147 000150 000153 000156 000159 000162 000165 000168 000171 000174 000177 000180 000183 000186 000189 000192 000195 000198 000201 000204 000207 000210 000213 000216 000219 000222 000225 000228 000231 000234 000237 000240 000243 000246 000249 000252 000255 000258 000261 000264 000267 000270 000273 000276 000279 000282 000285 000288 000291 000294 000297 000300 000303 000306 000309 000312 000318 000321 000324 000327 000330 000333 000336 000339 000342 000345 000348 000351 000354 000357 000360 000363 000366 000369 000372 000375 000378 000381 000384 000387 000390 000393 000396 000399 000402 000405 000408 000411 000414 000417 000420 000423 000426 000429 000432 000435 000438 000441 000444 000447 000450 000453 000456 000459 000462 000465 000468 000471 000474 000477 000480 000483 000486 000489 000492 000495 000498 000501 000504 000507 000510 000513 000516 000519 000522 000525 000528 000531 000534 000537 000540 000543 000546 000549 000552 000555 000558 000561 000564 000567 000570 000573 000576 000579 000582 000585 000588 000591 000594 000597 000600 000603 000606 000609 000612 000615 000618 000621 000624 000627 000630 000633 000636 000639 000642 000645 000648 000651 000654 000657 000660 000663 000666 000669 000672 000675 000678 000681 000684 000687 000690 000693 000696 000699 000702 000705 000708 000711 000714 000717 000720 000723 000726 000729 000732 000735 000738 000741 000744 000747 000750 000753 000756 000759 000762 000765 000768 000771 000774 000777 000780 000783 000786 000789 000792 000795 000798 000801 000804 000807 000810 000813 000816 000819 000822 000825 000828 000831 000834 000837 000840 000843 000846 000849 000852 000855 000858 000861 000864 000867 000870 000873 000876 000879 000882
English French German Italian Spanish

Indian Interstate tank

Forums

For anyone who is interested, I have just this minute ordered a black and gold interstate tank from Vintageindia13. The big delivery date is from 10th March to 20th March. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. If you are not racked with arthritis, please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I paid £330 inc postage. Sigh!

If anyone needs a fibreglass interstate tankthat would look its best in a landfill, feel free to collect.

Kev.

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

For anyone who is interested, I have just this minute ordered a black and gold interstate tank from Vintageindia13. The big delivery date is from 10th March to 20th March. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. If you are not racked with arthritis, please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I paid £330 inc postage. Sigh!

If anyone needs a fibreglass interstate tankthat would look its best in a landfill, feel free to collect.

Kev.

Well done Kev. I have also ordered one for a roadster from khanmousin2010 should be here from 7th March.Have to see how they turn out............
Permalink

Hello If it's anything Like the 1954 Dominator tank Brought It May not fit right in the Front area Has I found with India made tank I now Have at the cost £290

yours anna j

Permalink

I have contacted the seller to ensure that I will be sent a black tank with gold logo and pin stripe, as when I ordered, my request for same wasn't answered and I was worried I might get a silver tank; I initiallyjust receivedthe usualgeneral orderacceptance.

The seller has replied, andassures me that I will get 'black and gold'.

I was wondering how long it would take before 'doom and gloom' pervaded this thread. Well done Anna. As if its not enough to see money flowing out of our accounts, we have to listen to tales of horror and the unexpected.

Good luck with yours John.

Kev

Permalink

  1. Previously Martyn Watson wrote:

Can you post some pictures of the roadster tank when it arrives? What made you go for that seller?

Hi Martyn

Yes of course I'll post photo's.

I used this seller because it's painted, free P+P and he took a lower bid (I know that customs will take their slice) also worked out the cheapest.

Just wait now to see if it hold petrol,and fits

Hopefully it won't be damaged

Permalink

Previously john_alexander wrote:

  1. Previously Martyn Watson wrote:

Can you post some pictures of the roadster tank when it arrives? What made you go for that seller?

Hi Martyn

Yes of course I'll post photo's.

I used this seller because it's painted, free P+P and he took a lower bid (I know that customs will take their slice) also worked out the cheapest.

Just wait now to see if it hold petrol,and fits

Hopefully it won't be damaged

I noticed there were several cheaper ones advertised, is it a case of you order it and then the seller contacts you and says he's made a mistake and wants more money before despatching? I've had that happen to an item that appeared reasonable.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-Commando-Interstate-fuel-tank-gas-tank-made-out-of-toolings-top-quality-/152417949282?hash=item237cd15662:g:DiEAAOSwr81UN5qW

Permalink

I'm informed that my new Interstate tank is on its way, but I'm having trouble tracking its whereabouts. Delivery date is now between 10th and 15th March. I'm hoping that I get a little more detailed information so that I can be sure of where it is in real time, and when I'm likely to have to answer the knock at my door.

My crossed fingers are beginning to ache.

Kev

Permalink

It will be interesting to see how these tanks work out. I am sure that the early versions would have been poor but the ever resourceful Indian sub-continent is a fast learner. I wouldn't mind betting that before long, if not already, these tanks will fit and will be of serviceable quality.

Looking at a couple of my original Interstate tanks, they require different numbers of packing washers to level them up so they were by no means a precision item in the first place. The front fixings weren't exactly an engineering miracle either so how critical should we be?

I also wonder how many actual manufacturers there are: probably not as many as the number of sellers out there. There's also the question of which of the three main sizes of Interstate tank they used as their template.

Permalink

Martyn. I guess the one you provided a link to is in bare metal, hence the price difference. May be the way to go, with less initial outlay, and import tax. Also, that way you see it 'in the flesh', and can get your favourite local painter to finish it. Depends on the standard of Indian paint prep I suppose. Money-wise it shouldn't work out too much different. You pays yer money etc...

Just noticed, £45 p&p on that one, free postage on others.

Has anyone spotted an aluminium, or even steel, Proddie Racer tank?

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

For anyone who is interested, I have just this minute ordered a black and gold interstate tank from Vintageindia13. The big delivery date is from 10th March to 20th March. I'll keep this post updated as things progress. If you are not racked with arthritis, please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I paid £330 inc postage. Sigh!

If anyone needs a fibreglass interstate tankthat would look its best in a landfill, feel free to collect.

Kev.

Hi Kev, I expect there are a lot of Commando owners hoping for good news from you. I too had to replace my fibreglass tank but luckily purchased a good 2nd hand steel tank through the NOC. I do have my fingers crossed for you and look forward to hear about your new tank.Regards, Alan
Permalink

Well my roadster arrived yesterday.I ordered it painted and with cap.Well packaged.

All threads are 5/16 UNF (other han petrol taps)only needed to tap one ,and that's only to clear the paint.

Found some small amount of cloth inside.While shaking it out the petrol cap fell off! It has the standard size tension pin is fitted,but the cap and tank are 4 m/m so had to get a larger pin(halfords)haven't fitted that as yet.

Cap has a small mark on it.

The back of the tank is closer to the frame.I've used slightly thicker padding to get around that.Everything lines up,and it's held petrol overnight.

Well pleased.Recommended.

Attachments 20170314_161418-jpg
Permalink

Well everyone, here we go!

The tank turned up on the 13th. I was lucky; I was in at the time. I'd had no warning and the tracking option didn't work. I was so gob smacked to have the guy standing at my front door that I never even thought to check out the drivers particulars. I signed for the box and he'd driven off before my jaw left the floor and my mouth closed.

Before I begin the autopsy I should say that I'm not going to tell anyone whether they should buy one or not. That is up to the purchaser alone. All I'm going to do is give my feed back. Its up to everyone else tocome to their own conclusion.

I first noticed that the box wasn't much bigger than the tank. It then looked as if the box had been opened and re-taped shut. It occurred to me that a nice Customs man may have taken a look inside. I opened the box and found that what little foam packing there was, was positioned rather hap-hazardly. I then realised that a plastic bag that the tank should have been in, had justbeen chucked back into the box along with the tank and because of that, sticky tape on thepacking had stuck to the tank. I lifted the tank out of the box.

Somehow, a mark like a vampire bite had left two nicks in the paint at the front on the top left hand sideof the tank. For some odd reason I then turned the tank over to take a look underneath and noticed that the edge that it sits on if you place it flat on the floor was scuffed quite badly in places as if it had been put onthe edge of a rough shelve, pushed further on, then pulled back off, too many times. I then noticed that for me, the fuel cap istoo loose on its pinwhen fully opened, though it looks as if it will do its job when closed.

By now I had it in my shed and on the bench under quite harsh light, it quickly became apparent that thepaint finish is rather disappointing. It looks as if it was given a last polish with a very fine emery cloth. I have to say though that I am getting results with T cut; howeverthe lacquer is rock hard and It looks like its going to take a while. The fine marks are mostly longitudinal, so with a proper polishing motion it is easy to see them slowly disappear.

I then turned the tank around. Arghhhhhh! Yesboys and girls; a dent; just under the Norton logo on theleft hand side. (Undamaged paint). I replaced the tank in the box and sure enough,it looks likethe damage was done in transit. Its not a huge dent, but it is obvious andI'm going to have to see if an organisation like Dent Doctors can sortit out.

I'm also concerned about the threads in the holes for the rubber mounts. I'll have to run a tap down them as the bolts don't seem to go in very far.

Obviously I haven't checked how leak resistant it is yet, but looking at the general build quality, I have to say that it seems fairly bomb proof. The filler neck lets it down a little, in that I think welding the filler neck on must tend to warp the surrounding sheet steel. So just around the neck its ateenzy bitwoozy.

Total marks out of ten. 6.5 / 7

Now this is where everyoneis likely todisagree with everyone else. I'm putting the tank on a well worn, much used bike. (I did 60 miles justlast nightattending the new Suffolk Branch meeting at the Gardners Arms, Tostock). I've been out on her quite often just lately, and as most of you know, I can take her abroad tothrow her at an Armco just like the best of us. For me, the tankis almost fit for purpose and after a bit of TLC, as long as it doesn't leak,it will do just fine. If I'd wanted perfection I'd havebeen prepared to pay double. If I'd received the tank expecting perfection, I'd have given it3.5 out of 10.

I paid£330total.

So to sum up. The manufacturer is not the only possible fly in the ointment! Customs, who want to know what it is and can't be arsed to re-pack it properly. The consignor for minimum packaging, the delivery company for the dent, the storage expert with the gravel shelves, the slightly wonky welder and the painter/polisher who shouldn't polish in straight lines.'How weird is that'!

I still live in hope that when you see the tank you will say."Hmm! That's not too bad".

Now make your own mind up!

Kev

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

Well everyone, here we go!

The tank turned up on the 13th. I was lucky; I was in at the time. I'd had no warning and the tracking option didn't work. I was so gob smacked to have the guy standing at my front door that I never even thought to check out the drivers particulars. I signed for the box and he'd driven off before my jaw left the floor and my mouth closed.

Before I begin the autopsy I should say that I'm not going to tell anyone whether they should buy one or not. That is up to the purchaser alone. All I'm going to do is give my feed back. Its up to everyone else tocome to their own conclusion.

I first noticed that the box wasn't much bigger than the tank. It then looked as if the box had been opened and re-taped shut. It occurred to me that a nice Customs man may have taken a look inside. I opened the box and found that what little foam packing there was, was positioned rather hap-hazardly. I then realised that a plastic bag that the tank should have been in, had justbeen chucked back into the box along with the tank and because of that, sticky tape on thepacking had stuck to the tank. I lifted the tank out of the box.

Somehow, a mark like a vampire bite had left two nicks in the paint at the front on the top left hand sideof the tank. For some odd reason I then turned the tank over to take a look underneath and noticed that the edge that it sits on if you place it flat on the floor was scuffed quite badly in places as if it had been put onthe edge of a rough shelve, pushed further on, then pulled back off, too many times. I then noticed that for me, the fuel cap istoo loose on its pinwhen fully opened, though it looks as if it will do its job when closed.

By now I had it in my shed and on the bench under quite harsh light, it quickly became apparent that thepaint finish is rather disappointing. It looks as if it was given a last polish with a very fine emery cloth. I have to say though that I am getting results with T cut; howeverthe lacquer is rock hard and It looks like its going to take a while. The fine marks are mostly longitudinal, so with a proper polishing motion it is easy to see them slowly disappear.

I then turned the tank around. Arghhhhhh! Yesboys and girls; a dent; just under the Norton logo on theleft hand side. (Undamaged paint). I replaced the tank in the box and sure enough,it looks likethe damage was done in transit. Its not a huge dent, but it is obvious andI'm going to have to see if an organisation like Dent Doctors can sortit out.

I'm also concerned about the threads in the holes for the rubber mounts. I'll have to run a tap down them as the bolts don't seem to go in very far.

Obviously I haven't checked how leak resistant it is yet, but looking at the general build quality, I have to say that it seems fairly bomb proof. The filler neck lets it down a little, in that I think welding the filler neck on must tend to warp the surrounding sheet steel. So just around the neck its ateenzy bitwoozy.

Total marks out of ten. 6.5 / 7

Now this is where everyoneis likely todisagree with everyone else. I'm putting the tank on a well worn, much used bike. (I did 60 miles justlast nightattending the new Suffolk Branch meeting at the Gardners Arms, Tostock). I've been out on her quite often just lately, and as most of you know, I can take her abroad tothrow her at an Armco just like the best of us. For me, the tankis almost fit for purpose and after a bit of TLC, as long as it doesn't leak,it will do just fine. If I'd wanted perfection I'd havebeen prepared to pay double. If I'd received the tank expecting perfection, I'd have given it3.5 out of 10.

I paid£330total.

So to sum up. The manufacturer is not the only possible fly in the ointment! Customs, who want to know what it is and can't be arsed to re-pack it properly. The consignor for minimum packaging, the delivery company for the dent, the storage expert with the gravel shelves, the slightly wonky welder and the painter/polisher who shouldn't polish in straight lines.'How weird is that'!

I still live in hope that when you see the tank you will say."Hmm! That's not too bad".

Now make your own mind up!

Kev

The fact that you have the bike on the road and are using it says it all. I have an Alloy tank and the filler cap neck is glued on. You could stick to an original tank and end up like the attached picture. Now that was an original tank. Good luck

Attachments page13-1041-full-jpg
Permalink

Like Chris's alloy tank, my Bartel alloy tank also has the filler cap ring glued in, whilst it hasn't come loose (yet) the line of glue round the inside of the neck has disappeared into the fuel.

Kev, you could complain to customs, I waited weeks for carbs from the States before I found by my own inquiry that they were sitting in a postal depot waiting for import duty to be paid. They would still be there now had I not chased them down.

Permalink

I suppose I could complain to everyone who had anything to do with the transaction, and there in liesthe problem. At the end of the day, all anyone can really do is decide if the risk of spending £300 on an Indian tankis worth taking. Complaining won't improve the tank. I'm fairly certain that the tank was dented during its journey, but I can't prove it. About the only thing I can de sure of to complain aboutis the paint work (finish) and the scuff marks on the bottom edges. I'd rather keep the tank than go through endless hoops with no certain outcome.

One other thing worth thinking about!

Although the tank looks good shape wise, I feel that had I had control of the artwork I could have improved on the general finished look of the tank. Positioning of the logos and pin striping could have been a little better, but that's justme being picky.

If you buy an unpainted tank, you get to see the metal, you get to sort any problems before you have it painted, you get to talk to the painter, he does it how you want it and you get to spend a whole lot more money on your project.

Kev

Permalink

O.K. Dominator, not Commando, fuel tank. I would rate the tank I bought 9 out of 10. Supplied chromed, withfull decals, fuel cap, and tap, with knee rubbers supplied loose. Like Anna, I found it was not a perfect fit at the front, but repositioning the front mounting rubbers solved this. The only slight disappointment was the colour, more silver than the original. In the unlikely event of needing another I would use the same supplier, but order the tank chromed, but unpainted. Packing was excellent, and, here in Spain, there was no import duty. Oh, one "nit pick" there was no seal on the filler cap.

Permalink

Well people, after a fair bit of work, but not as much as I expected. the tank is fitted. It seems to be holding on to its contents and looks quite reasonable. I'll post a picture when I get the chance. The tank has a somewhat subtly different shape. It is slightly taller than theruined f g one and therefore looks squatter, which gives the bike a scrunched up look, as if it is getting ready to pounce. Now I've written it, it sounds daft, but that's how I see it.

I had to clean out the threads, but positioning of the mounting points was well within tolerable limits. It does seem to sit harder against the seat and I had to push it back to stop the forks from hitting it on full lock. This makes me think that it must be larger than it looks.

It needed a good wash out before I could use it. It was full of swarf and slag. I'm expecting to have to clean the tap filters quite soon.

All in all, I'm a happy bear. It's just a shame about the dent.

Kev.

Permalink

Its early days, only four with fuel in the tank, but today I noticed something that could possibly change the whole game. The tank seems to have developed a tiny little 'spot' about half way back along it on the left where the top of the tank rolls over into the side. The spot definitely wasn't there yesterday, so I'll be keeping a beady eye on it. If there is a pin hole in the metal, or it proves to be something breaking out from under the paintthen I will be looking at complaining to eBay,because as far as I'm concerned, the tank won't be fit for purpose. Shame, as I was rather getting to like it.

Kev

Permalink

That's sad if it does leak. I wonder if there is an endemic problem with hand welded tanks? I assume that original mass produced steel tanks were hand welded (there were no robots) but I bet the skills took a lot of time to gain. Welding is pretty much always defective. They cannot be deliberately selling faulty goods since these stories are harming their future business growth. But if it's practically impossible to make them perfectly without the welders having decades of prior experience, we might end up without being able to buy them at all.

Maybe you'll have to put up with occasionally rubbing a bar of soap around the bottom seam?! That's the traditional tank sealant, isn't it? I wonder if soap is ethanol proof?

Permalink

There seem to be 2 types of Interstate tank available from India.

1. Traditional Indian low tech made from a number of flat panels beaten and then welded together so lots of seams.

2. One made from a top half pressed on a tool and then welded to a bottom half, so less length of seam to go wrong.

I believe this is one of the 'from tooling' Interstates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTON-COMMANDO-INTERSTATE-FUEL-GAS-TANK-GAS-TANK-TOP-QUALITY-/162387238302?

Permalink

The story goes on.

About to throw away my FG tank, I decided it would be foolish to chuck it withits filler cap, so I took the capoff. Realising again how easy they come off with the right size drifts, I thought I'dtry improvingmy new tank as the filler cap waved about in the wind when it was open. Selecting the right drift I carefully tapped the end of the roll pin. I might as well have asked a passing ant to pull the ruddy thing out it came out so easily. It was a size too small and I discovered that the pin from the FB tank was far more of an interference fit. After some careful walloping I had the cap fitted with the right size pin and it was then that I discovered why they fitted it with an undersize pin. It would now only open 'slightly'. The hinge area isn't aligned properly and as the cap opens, the rear end of it makes contact with the mounting.

They had gone some way to overcoming this problem. They had removed the rear spring in the cap, ground part of the cap away to allow it to swing back and fitted the undersize pin. This ensured that it was loose in almost every position. Only all this allowed it to open fullyand I was worried about a rubbish seal allowing fuel to leak out.

I've now used another cap with its spring intactand the right size roll pin. I did have to grind awaysome of the cap carefully and now it opens far enough to get a nozzle in for fuelling. I put a new seal on it and now when its closed its closed tight. Also, when its open it certainly doesn't flap about.

I haven't got any leaks yet. I think whatever has caused the tiny dimple in the paint is something trapped under the paint that has reacted.

So far I feel I've improved the tank quite a bit, but do I need this hassle? Probably not!

I remember being surprised when they told me that they would fit a cap to the tank for no extra cost. I know why now. The part that the cap hinges on lets the build quality down and a lot of people would not have the ability to improve it. Also, its a painted tank and easy to damage.

After all this, if it does leak you can be sure that I will be complaining to EBay.

Kev

Permalink

Previously john_holmes wrote:

There seem to be 2 types of Interstate tank available from India.

1. Traditional Indian low tech made from a number of flat panels beaten and then welded together so lots of seams.

2. One made from a top half pressed on a tool and then welded to a bottom half, so less length of seam to go wrong.

I believe this is one of the 'from tooling' Interstates

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NORTON-COMMANDO-INTERSTATE-FUEL-GAS-TANK-GAS-TANK-TOP-QUALITY-/162387238302?

I wouldn't bank on anything being definitely different from any of theseemingly alternatefuel tank manufacturers. Many of them seem suspiciously the same if you compare them closelyand have 'vintage' as part of their name. What does 'Top Quality', a phrase that they all seem to enjoy using, mean anyway. Its all relative. There are some people who can produce 'wonders' by hand, and some who's tooling would make youcringe. At the end of the day buying one of these tanksis just a leap in the dark.

Kev

Permalink

For any of you who are still interested, here is the latest update.

I am now asking Vintageindia13 for my money back. Since fitting the fuel tank to my Commando and putting fuel in it, it has proved to have at least two pin holes in the steel thathave caused the paint to bubble. One hole is opposite the filler cap on the top of the tank at the other sideand the other isat the front, hidden close to the steering yoke.

Trouble is, that isn't the worst problem. The bike conked out on me on Thursday evening, but I managed to nurse her home. One minute she was flooding and the next she was starving. On Friday I removed the carb and discovered that it was full of what looks like brick dust. Something in the tank has been washed into the fuel and contaminated the whole fuel system.

I have drained and removed the tank and won't be using it again. Even draining it proved problematical, as the fuel taps kept blocking. I dread to think what damage this might have done to the engine.

In summary, it was dented during transit, the tank cap was ridiculously loose, the paint finish was disappointing, it has at least two pin holes in the steel that fuel fumes can escape through and bubble the paint, it is contaminated with something that can cause the engine to stop and I have had enough.

I am currently in contact with Vintageindia13, so I won't say any more until this has been settled. I have told them that if I don't get my money back I will ask eBay to take over.

These are the facts so far. Please take note!

Kev

P.S. I did tell them before I made the purchase that I would be posting my findings on the Norton website.

Permalink

One of our Tay Valley guys got a fastback tank from India for similar money, unpainted , it fitted OK after some work and looks good, I decided to go for the RGM option, over £600 bare (ouch) it's. Still in my attic and my fastback unused. I've been quoted 4-500 pounds to paint it in the original metal flake blue so over £1k for a bloody tank for a bike that's a rough and ready "user" , it's all getting rather silly.

BTW just replaced the fibreglass tank on my 70 roadster with a Second hand metal one (expensive paint job again) last week, bloody ethanol!!!!!!!!!

Permalink

Previously gino_rondelli wrote:

One of our Tay Valley guys got a fastback tank from India for similar money, unpainted , it fitted OK after some work and looks good, I decided to go for the RGM option, over £600 bare (ouch) it's. Still in my attic and my fastback unused. I've been quoted 4-500 pounds to paint it in the original metal flake blue so over £1k for a bloody tank for a bike that's a rough and ready "user" , it's all getting rather silly.

BTW just replaced the fibreglass tank on my 70 roadster with a Second hand metal one (expensive paint job again) last week, bloody ethanol!!!!!!!!!

It is a point worth noting I think Gino, that yes, it is the ethanol that has caused these problems in the first place, but my main gripe is that when I buy a fuel tank that is supposed to be the finished article, I expect to be able to chuck it onto the bike and use it without problems, even if it does only cost £330. I don't expect to have to ruin it by having it weldedin an attempt to fix it.It seems to me that as so many people are after fuel tanks that can be trusted, maybethe NOC should take a look at getting some decent ones made that meet our requirements. I realise it won't be cheap, but at least we'd be able to trust the damned things. I'd pay fairly silly money for that trust, but £600 bare is over the top somewhat.

I have a T shirt that says the following.

Motorcyclist.

A person willing to take a container of flammable liquid, place it on top of a hot engine and then put the whole lotbetween their legs.

I draw the line at doing that when it leaks.

Kev

Permalink

Always said we should be spending the clubs money on stuff that's uneconomic for the "real" spares dealers to make. Not supplying spares that are readily available commercially but it seems no one listens. That's why we end up buying crap and product testing ourselves.

Can of worms opened ?

Permalink

It's difficult Gino, if the Indians are making tanks for £300 then 2/3rds of the buyers will go for them regardless.

I have a friend in the trade who supplies Andover, Lockheed and other pukka parts but 100% of Triumph owners and 60% of Norton owners choose the cheapest available, whether it's shite or not. They have no shame. They always ask for something cheaper and even haggle about £10 oil filters.

To the owners who visit the local old bike club twice in a summer to claim bragging rights before selling the ex-eBay project on again, it really doesn't matter very much.

It's sad but those of us with a long-term committment to making these old clunkers something approaching reliable are really a tiny minority.

Permalink

Richard, true I suppose, I forgot they were for polishing and admiring and I stupidly used mine. Damn, now I know why it wears out.

i had a conversation years (Decades ago) ago with Rodger at RGM, he had a particularly bad batch of chocolate speedo gearbox's made, he told me that if he made them so they would work for a long time, nobody would buy them as the price would be prohibitive.

Its funny that most of us will have a pile of useless speedo gearbox's in a box, mines are next to the pile of 3 lobe cam shafts !

i still love them though

Permalink

Right then Gents. How do we go about lobbying the Club to have fuel tanks made?

Do we collect signatures and hand them in atthe Chairman's front door, or do we just generally moan and gripe for ever more. Perhaps this is the first really reallyMAJOR manufacturing purchase that the clubneeds to make, or at least getan idea of the cost. It seems to me that the EC could decide how much could be put to one side for fuel tank manufacture and then see if the job could be done within that price. As fibreglass tanks are being eaten alive, new Interstateswould be the logical first build, I think!There must be someone out there that could make a batch of six for a 'sensible' price.

What say you all?Yes or no?

Perhaps we need a 'Club PriorityPurchase'page on the web site for NOC Members to append their names to. Or perhaps we have and I've missed it.

Kev

Permalink

I have found the above posts very informative. I have purchased one of these Indian tanks in bare metal and so far have only primed it. We should consider these tanks in the same light as used second hand ones fron the breaker; They need testing before spending a fortune on paint.

Two things stand out from the posts, assume they are full of muck and rinse out with parrafin before fitting and secondly use them with plenty of petrol in to find any pin holes that need a spot of braze. Steel tanks with leaks are nothing new and can be fixed, and to me are a better idea than 40 year old fibreglass -lined or not.

regards martin

Permalink

Previously Martin Freeman wrote:

I have found the above posts very informative. I have purchased one of these Indian tanks in bare metal and so far have only primed it. We should consider these tanks in the same light as used second hand ones fron the breaker; They need testing before spending a fortune on paint.

Two things stand out from the posts, assume they are full of muck and rinse out with parrafin before fitting and secondly use them with plenty of petrol in to find any pin holes that need a spot of braze. Steel tanks with leaks are nothing new and can be fixed, and to me are a better idea than 40 year old fibreglass -lined or not.

regards martin

Unfortunately Martin, they sell these tanks in finished condition. I.e. painted.One hopes that a finished tank would be exactly that. I am not naÃ?ve enough to expectnot to have to clean one out, but I didn't expect that the fuel would wash off an inner coating and block the carb. Nor did I expect a painted tank to leak through pin holesand cause the paint to bubble. Brazing apainted tank would have called for a re-spray.Had I washed the tank out vigorously I would probably have damaged it. The supplied and fitted tank cap was so loose, it was obviously bodged to fit and wouldn't hold fuel.It was so loose (undersized roll pin) that the fuel washed off the paint around the fillermouth within hours.

You are lucky to have bought an unpainted one. I wish you luck with it, but I suggest a pressure test under water before you go any further.

Kev

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

Right then Gents. How do we go about lobbying the Club to have fuel tanks made?

Do we collect signatures and hand them in atthe Chairman's front door, or do we just generally moan and gripe for ever more. Perhaps this is the first really reallyMAJOR manufacturing purchase that the clubneeds to make, or at least getan idea of the cost. It seems to me that the EC could decide how much could be put to one side for fuel tank manufacture and then see if the job could be done within that price. As fibreglass tanks are being eaten alive, new Interstateswould be the logical first build, I think!There must be someone out there that could make a batch of six for a 'sensible' price.

What say you all?Yes or no?

Perhaps we need a 'Club PriorityPurchase'page on the web site for NOC Members to append their names to. Or perhaps we have and I've missed it.

Kev

What Ho Kev.

I'm saying this in a hushed voice with a cupped hand. I think you have a good point. I hope you don't live close to me because I don't want to be in the vicinity when the NOC EC lightning bolts begin to rain down.

By the way this isn't me and I reserve the right to be tried by a jury.

Permalink

I have a spent a little time in dealing with Indian suppliers. I think there are craftsmen over there very capable of producing what we want at a very cheap price.The problem is that they don't know what we want or expect. There is also a comunication problem caused by several layers of middlemen who have no technical understanding of what we need and little interest. Items are being produced by tradesmen who have never seen a Norton , ridden one and dont have a bike to measure. Think how different this is to the situation back in the day at Nortons or AMC and you will get a feel for what is the likely result.The quality control needs to be done at the point of manufacture if the product is to get the feedback it needs to improve.Usually the mark up is so large that the dealer justs accepts the loss on returns and does not bother to pass on the issues back to the maker.

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

Right then Gents. How do we go about lobbying the Club to have fuel tanks made?

Do we collect signatures and hand them in atthe Chairman's front door, or do we just generally moan and gripe for ever more. Perhaps this is the first really reallyMAJOR manufacturing purchase that the clubneeds to make, or at least getan idea of the cost. It seems to me that the EC could decide how much could be put to one side for fuel tank manufacture and then see if the job could be done within that price. As fibreglass tanks are being eaten alive, new Interstateswould be the logical first build, I think!There must be someone out there that could make a batch of six for a 'sensible' price.

What say you all?Yes or no?

Perhaps we need a 'Club PriorityPurchase'page on the web site for NOC Members to append their names to. Or perhaps we have and I've missed it.

Kev

I'll sign up to that Kev and for all the other Norton parts currently not available. But wouldn't it be better to first tackle the root cause and lobby government so that we might have a real choice in fuel. Currently we are ruled by targets for no good reason.

Permalink

A company called Holtworks will make aluminium tanks if you order minimumâ 10. They do look good check out there web site

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

Previously Martin Freeman wrote:

I have found the above posts very informative. I have purchased one of these Indian tanks in bare metal and so far have only primed it. We should consider these tanks in the same light as used second hand ones fron the breaker; They need testing before spending a fortune on paint.

Two things stand out from the posts, assume they are full of muck and rinse out with parrafin before fitting and secondly use them with plenty of petrol in to find any pin holes that need a spot of braze. Steel tanks with leaks are nothing new and can be fixed, and to me are a better idea than 40 year old fibreglass -lined or not.

regards martin

Unfortunately Martin, they sell these tanks in finished condition. I.e. painted.One hopes that a finished tank would be exactly that. I am not naÃ?ve enough to expectnot to have to clean one out, but I didn't expect that the fuel would wash off an inner coating and block the carb. Nor did I expect a painted tank to leak through pin holesand cause the paint to bubble. Brazing apainted tank would have called for a re-spray.Had I washed the tank out vigorously I would probably have damaged it. The supplied and fitted tank cap was so loose, it was obviously bodged to fit and wouldn't hold fuel.It was so loose (undersized roll pin) that the fuel washed off the paint around the fillermouth within hours.

You are lucky to have bought an unpainted one. I wish you luck with it, but I suggest a pressure test under water before you go any further.

Kev

By the way Martin, if you haven't done so already, and before you get it painted, you might also want to fit a tank cap to your tank with a correct size roll pin to see if the cap will open properly.

Kev

Permalink

Previously robert_tuck wrote:

I have a spent a little time in dealing with Indian suppliers. I think there are craftsmen over there very capable of producing what we want at a very cheap price.The problem is that they don't know what we want or expect. There is also a comunication problem caused by several layers of middlemen who have no technical understanding of what we need and little interest. Items are being produced by tradesmen who have never seen a Norton , ridden one and dont have a bike to measure. Think how different this is to the situation back in the day at Nortons or AMC and you will get a feel for what is the likely result.The quality control needs to be done at the point of manufacture if the product is to get the feedback it needs to improve.Usually the mark up is so large that the dealer justs accepts the loss on returns and does not bother to pass on the issues back to the maker.

Robert, you are absolutely right. The problem is undoubtedly caused by a complete lack of understanding of what is wanted and expected by people who actually ride our motorcycles. I have no doubt that Quality Control would not evenknow where to start, and why should it when customers are thousands of miles away and unlikely to bite back.I have alsonoticed recently that toys for my grandchildren that have been made in Chinacan be a total let down. They can be quite deplorable; so bad in fact that I fume at the thought of wasted effort and resources. I refuse to buy them, but those who have lesser expectations in the family do, and are continuously underwhelmed.

Is it that our expectations are to blame here? Are they too high? Then again, is it just a case of, 'getting what you pay for'?

It is noticeable that Vintageindia produces a legion of 'stuff'. I can't help wondering what their other'stuff' is like. If its what I have now come to expect, I'll stay well clear.

Kev

Permalink

Here is the final chapter in what has turned out to be a total disaster.

The seller agreed to take the tank back and to refund me my money. He also agreed to refund me my postage costs if I agreed not to leave feedback. Postage to India. £72.

I returned the tank by courier and four days later the courier company contacted me to say that the seller was refusing to accept the item, and that I would have to contact Customs in India if I wanted them to try to deliver it again, otherwise I would have to pay to have it returned to me.

I contacted eBay and they discovered that it had been delivered. So I contacted the seller who explained that it was going to cost him £170 to have it released from Customs and that as hewasn't prepared to accept it, he had decided to send me another brand new, non leaking tank for free.

As leaks were only part of the problem I had with the first one, I told himto stick his free tank where the sun don't shine. I then contacted Ebay and asked them to intervene. They refunded me thecost of the tank straight away. I then reminded the seller that he owed me £72 for the postage and that if I didn't get it, I would start leaving some pretty awful feedback.

The courier company contacted me again asking me what I wanted to happen to the tank I'd returned, as it was gathering dust in a Customs warehouse in India. I told them to chuck it in the skip.

After quite some time, and a refusal to answer myemails itseems I'm £72 out of pocket. I said at the beginning that I would not take sides, and that I would leave people to make their own decisions regarding whether to buy from Vintageindia13or not.

DON'T DO IT!

And think about this. Is he just a middle man, supplying the same junk as all the other middle men?

That has to be by far the worst purchase I have ever made, anywhere, ever.

Kev

Attachments After%2024%20hours%20with%20fuel%20in%20tank.jpg Butchered%20fuel%20cap.jpg h
Permalink

I bought some plated brass vintage levers from India after seeing photos of the product on E-Bay. They were cheap. They arrived promptly and were well packed. They would fit a bar somewhere between 7/8th and 1" but not either. The cable nipple hole was undersize, the clamping arangement was at 90 degrees to those in the advert,the pivot was too small for safe use. I tossed them into the box of new junk bought from British Norton specialists. I emailed the supplier with sugestions how they could improve the product at no cost yet sell it for 3 times the price. No reply. E-Bay refunded me ,the supplier said keep them. I re-engineered them and they are now in use.

Permalink

Rather than callingon the clubto find a suitable small business to manufacture a limited number of one off tanks.

Should weas a club approach Andover Norton, they have the product drawings and I presume tooling drawings and a bill of materials required to produce an Interstate tank for example.Combined with existing trading relationships with a network of trusted suppliers.

There is obviously a world wide market for aOEM quality tank. AN investment in the product would seeahealthy return.

The end product would definitely be more expensive than the misshaped leaky junk on eBay but then you get what you pay for!

Anyone from AN care to comment?

Bestregards

Esme AKA Katherine Scott

Permalink

Katherine, already been down this route. Joe S of AN replied that it has to be commercially viable for them to tool up to manufacture new lines.

This is where the club comes into it; for the club it should be about providing a service above making a profit. (As long as the club remains solvent)

However, I see no reason why the Norton specialists can't help the club with advice and possible suppliers. How long will we wait and will we live long enough to see some action?

Hopefully, wideline lifting handles in Stainless should be available via the club any time soon? (I got mine)

Permalink

In the end, there are three choices:-

1. Spend anything up to £1,000 on a tank made, and painted in the U.K. (which may still not be perfect).

2. Sell, or keep the bike in the garage, complaining parts are unobtainable.

3. Take a chance on what IS available from India, or elsewhere, and get back on the road!

Barring an unforseen catastrophe, my Dominator will be at the international rally. Apart from the slightly incorrect colour, the Indian tank is almost indistinguishable from original. Anyone interested is welcome to inspect this product. I doubt if there will be another '54 model 88 (with an 80 year old rider) in attendance.

Permalink

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Katherine, already been down this route. Joe S of AN replied that it has to be commercially viable for them to tool up to manufacture new lines.

This is where the club comes into it; for the club it should be about providing a service above making a profit. (As long as the club remains solvent)

However, I see no reason why the Norton specialists can't help the club with advice and possible suppliers. How long will we wait and will we live long enough to see some action?

Hopefully, wideline lifting handles in Stainless should be available via the club any time soon? (I got mine)

Which club? Thin ice.

Permalink

Hi Richard, your options, of buying a second-hand tank, is fine, but, only if you have more than one bike to ride. By the time you have located a suitable replacement, arranged for delivery, then had it refurbished, months could go by. Maybe I was lucky, my tank arrived, undamaged, and was ready to fit.

Permalink

Previously andy_chetwood wrote:

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Katherine, already been down this route. Joe S of AN replied that it has to be commercially viable for them to tool up to manufacture new lines.

This is where the club comes into it; for the club it should be about providing a service above making a profit. (As long as the club remains solvent)

However, I see no reason why the Norton specialists can't help the club with advice and possible suppliers. How long will we wait and will we live long enough to see some action?

Hopefully, wideline lifting handles in Stainless should be available via the club any time soon? (I got mine)

Which club? Thin ice.

Andy, the Norton Owners Club, if they get their fingers out?

I bought my wideline lifting handles direct from the manufacturer to my spec as the club wideline rear mudguard replica ran a different length between the hole centres.

Permalink

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Previously andy_chetwood wrote:

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Katherine, already been down this route. Joe S of AN replied that it has to be commercially viable for them to tool up to manufacture new lines.

This is where the club comes into it; for the club it should be about providing a service above making a profit. (As long as the club remains solvent)

However, I see no reason why the Norton specialists can't help the club with advice and possible suppliers. How long will we wait and will we live long enough to see some action?

Hopefully, wideline lifting handles in Stainless should be available via the club any time soon? (I got mine)

Which club? Thin ice.

Andy, the Norton Owners Club, if they get their fingers out?

I bought my wideline lifting handles direct from the manufacturer to my spec as the club wideline rear mudguard replica ran a different length between the hole centres.

Permalink

Neil

While sucking air thru' teeth. I really enjoy your posts but beware 'The Sword of Damocles' or EC.

I'm not sure if that's irony or sarcasm; probably the former as it's not directed at anyone in particular.

Andy

Permalink

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but why is it that quite often the subject matter of topics on this web site goes down the toilet. Thisthread started regarding 'Indian' fuel tanks and has now gone on to wide line lifting handles, Club rear mudguard replicas and 88 year oldriders with 54 model 88s.

I'm not 'having a go' Neil or John, but it seems to me that the web site needs splitting up a little more. Perhaps fuel tanks need a separate heading. Wheels, seats, frames, paint, painters,electrics would all probably benefit.

I've noticed that people sometimes ask a question that has been asked before, simply becausea previous answer to the same questionhas becomeburied deep ina thread somewhere and is too difficult to find.

If anyone wants to know how I'm getting on with the fuel tank lining, please go to that thread.

Kev

Permalink

Previously Kevin Feltoe wrote:

Not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, but why is it that quite often the subject matter of topics on this web site goes down the toilet. Thisthread started regarding 'Indian' fuel tanks and has now gone on to wide line lifting handles, Club rear mudguard replicas and 88 year oldriders with 54 model 88s.

I'm not 'having a go' Neil or John, but it seems to me that the web site needs splitting up a little more. Perhaps fuel tanks need a separate heading. Wheels, seats, frames, paint, painters,electrics would all probably benefit.

I've noticed that people sometimes ask a question that has been asked before, simply becausea previous answer to the same questionhas becomeburied deep ina thread somewhere and is too difficult to find.

If anyone wants to know how I'm getting on with the fuel tank lining, please go to that thread.

Kev

Love to know how you are getting on with your tank?

The thing is that all these things are linked and that's why your tank may not always be at the centre. The wideline lifting handles were an example of what the club, I believe, should be producing for us and good quality tanks come into that category as you, yourself mentioned at the end of the first page. John, on the other hand had a good experience with an Indian tank and gives some balance to the thread, though on your account I wouldn't want one.

Please be thankful I didn't mention the E word. I was tempted as this substance was the route cause of why you bought the Indian tank in the first place. Just saying!

Andy, no tongue in cheek or drawn swords, I meant what I said and said what I meant. There is work to be done.

 

Norton Owners Club Website by White-Hot Design

Privacy Policy