Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

VIN plate Commando 850 Mk.lll

Forums

Good afternoon to all, I have a 850MK3 with clear engine and frame numbers (stamped in frame). When the bike was restored in 94 the vim place was replaced but not sure it was done correctly.

The bike is now under going another restoration so can some tell me if it is the engine number or the frame number which goes in the serial box. RGM are saying the frame number however past post say it should be the engine number.

Oh and what figure goes in the horsepower box.

Thanks Phil

Hi Phil, I have a 76 MK3 and I believe the HP is 59.

Yes the Frame and engine numbers match as they left the factory, they match on mine but there may be exceptions.

My frame was nylon coated via RGM back in 1989, it went with the vin plate on and came back without it! (Hence I can't confirm the HP box after all this time)

I looked at getting another plate as Les Emery at the then Fair Spares was supplying them but then decided money would be better spent on other things.

Previously philip_parker wrote:

Good afternoon to all, I have a 850MK3 with clear engine and frame numbers (stamped in frame). When the bike was restored in 94 the vim place was replaced but not sure it was done correctly.

The bike is now under going another restoration so can some tell me if it is the engine number or the frame number which goes in the serial box. RGM are saying the frame number however past post say it should be the engine number.

Oh and what figure goes in the horsepower box.Thanks Phil

Hi Phil, this subject has been discussed so many times on here. After 1973 most of the frames for the 850 were made by an Italian frame manufacturer named Verlicci ( I believe pronounced "Verlichi") who stamped their own frame numbers on the headstock They start with the letter F and then 6 numbers usually starting 10 (if there is no "F" prefix then its a good indicator its one of the very few frames made by Renolds tubes. By my experience The number on the VIN plate is the Norton globe symbol followed by 850 then the engine number but the number on your V5 registration document could be either..... I have a Mk2A 850 that has the Verlicci F number on the V5 and also a Mk3 850 that has the engine number on the V5 in the place for frame number. I suppose it depends on the shop that registered the bike for the first time. The application for first registration document will have been filled in by a shop worker, some may have written down the fairly easy to see F number stamped into the headstock and others may have simply written down the number on the VIN plate ie. the engine number. Sooooo to answer the question, the number on the VIN plate is the Norton globe symbol followed by 850 thenengine number(which should also be stamped into the top of the gearbox). I dont recall ever seeing a "horse power box" on any plate used on UK Nortons only a year of manufacture box which my Mk 3 has 77 stamped into it, indicating 1977 as the year of manufacture. Hope this answers the question but no doubt will be contradicted by someone.

Cheers Big Alan Clarke Shenstone branch sec.

Previously alan_clarke2 wrote:

Hi Phil, this subject has been discussed so many times on here. After 1973 most of the frames for the 850 were made by an Italian frame manufacturer named Verlicci ( I believe pronounced "Verlichi") who stamped their own frame numbers on the headstock They start with the letter F and then 6 numbers usually starting 10 (if there is no "F" prefix then its a good indicator its one of the very few frames made by Renolds tubes. By my experience The number on the VIN plate is the Norton globe symbol followed by 850 then the engine number but the number on your V5 registration document could be either..... I have a Mk2A 850 that has the Verlicci F number on the V5 and also a Mk3 850 that has the engine number on the V5 in the place for frame number. I suppose it depends on the shop that registered the bike for the first time. The application for first registration document will have been filled in by a shop worker, some may have written down the fairly easy to see F number stamped into the headstock and others may have simply written down the number on the VIN plate ie. the engine number. Sooooo to answer the question, the number on the VIN plate is the Norton globe symbol followed by 850 thenengine number(which should also be stamped into the top of the gearbox). I dont recall ever seeing a "horse power box" on any plate used on UK Nortons only a year of manufacture box which my Mk 3 has 77 stamped into it, indicating 1977 as the year of manufacture. Hope this answers the question but no doubt will be contradicted by someone.

Alan,

Thank you for your reply, agree and so do Dave cotton, Andover Norton and atlanticgreen.com. My frame number is very clear on the head stock and is not cover by the VIN Plate (Verlicci Frame). The V5 states the correct frame and engine number. The VIN plate has been restamped to the engine as it should be. For purpose of the electonic MOT I will ponit out my clear frame number.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Previously alan_clarke2 wrote:

Alan,

Thank you for your reply, agree and so do Dave cotton, Andover Norton and atlanticgreen.com. My frame number is very clear on the head stock and is not cover by the VIN Plate (Verlicci Frame). The V5 states the correct frame and engine number. The VIN plate has been restamped to the engine as it should be. For purpose of the electonic MOT I will ponit out my clear frame number.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

My 1975 registered but 1974 made 850 has no frame number on the headstock [nor anywhere else as far as I can see]. My V5C hasdifferent engine and chassis numbers.There arefour holes on the headstock which I presume is where the VIN plate should be fitted, is this correct? Do I really need a VIN plate? How much do they cost?

Thanks Roger

Roger,

VIN Plates cost £8.90 plus vat from RGM. The four holes on the headstock is where the VIN Plate is fitted. I like my Mk 3 to be as accurate as it can be hence refitting the VIN plate. Whether it is worth refitting is a matter of personal choice however interestingly it would be good to know if you had any issuse getting it MOT'd without a vin or chassis number.

Phil

All I can say is that the frame, engine and gearbox numbers all match on my My 76 Mk 3 and I have never found not having a VIN plate an issue. Mine since 1988.

I actually thought that Norton stopped buying in Italian frames around 1973 (First of the 850's) when they consistentlyfailed the 'Donkeys Dick' jig test.

One of my Commandoâs has the âFâ number on the V5 & after the computerised MOT system was introduced, I found it best to remove the VIN plate as the MOT tester would, as they should, enter the 318*** number from the VIN plate into the system & end up with a not recognised warning & couldnât continue until the correct number (as stated on the V5) was entered. Without the VIN plate, they will use the number stamped into the frame & have no problem. It was a bit confusing at first, as my other Commando has the VIN plate number on the V5, so that has to be used.

Iâve also recently had a letter from DVLA regarding the Navigator, on the V5 the engine & frame numbers started 19D***** but as stamped on the frame, there is no D. After being MOTâd several times now with the tester entering what is stamped, ie no âDâ, this year, the system allowed him to continue with the test, but then I get an enquiry from Swansea saying all was not as it should be. I had to fill in a form stating what was stamped on the machine, what was stated in the V5 & what was entered on the last two MOTâs & include a photo of the frame stamping. There was a suggestion that they would want to inspect the bike, but as it was, they just sent me a revised V5 with the âDâ omitted from the chassis/frame number & requested that I send the old V5 back to them.

Not sure how it works if you have no number showing on the frame, there used to be a cut off date that they are not required, which if I remember correctly was sometime in 1972, & the tester can enter âNot displayedâ but Iâm not sure of the date or if thatâs still the case, itâs about 15 years ago that I was last MOT-ing cars & bikes.

Regards, Tim

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans