Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Tuning an 850 in the 1970s

Forums

French newbie in Norton's world, I was just wondering how, in the 70's, was tuned an 850. What was available at this time like knowledge and parts for example? For engine and also frame, brakes and all this. I saw once a double double cam brake? And is it possible to find those kind of parts today?

No answers? Is this in the good place?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Christian,

Dunstal aftermarket parts were popular for engine, body parts, rear sets, clip-ons. Frames from Seely and others. All 850s came with disc front brake. The double leading shoe front brake you mention is likely from Grimeca, common. Others used the double leading shoe front brake from a Suzuki GT750, also know here in th US as a water buffalo due to it's liquid cooled two stroke engine. I would think you can still find these items second hand, but they are going to be expensive.

Hello everybody,

What a surprise! I taught I was going to have loads of answers...

On the whole NOC website, only one US guy, thanks to him, in a month, had some ideas about how was prepared a Commando in the 70's. Should I have asked for a 750?

Look here: www.andover-norton.co.uk/Service Informations.htm and choose "Tuning for Racing". These were the official notes given out by Norton.

All contemporary racing parts that werre available from the factory you find in the catalogue for Production Racer parts NV112, see under www.andover-norton.co.uk/News.htm the November 2012 news.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans