Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Swinging arm pivot end cap 1974 Mk.ll

Forums

Hello

The manual shows the end cap with a thin bolt going through it but mine only has a grease nipple .I've tried pumping 140 oil into the s'arm via the nipple but when the s/arm is full the pressure of the oil inside the s/arm pops the cap off then the oil pours out! Has anyone got the method of fitting the end cap; glue ,perhaps, or maybe it's meant to be friction fit?

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris, the end cap should have a long screw that goes right through and screws into the 'far' end cap, part # 060873

the two end caps are different 'near one is part060868 and the 'far' one 060869 this one has a nut inside to locate the long rod into. Hope this helps, I can't see how else you could keep them in place.

Regards Les Noble

Previously les_noble wrote:

Hi Chris, the end cap should have a long screw that goes right through and screws into the 'far' end cap, part # 060873

the two end caps are different 'near one is part060868 and the 'far' one 060869 this one has a nut inside to locate the long rod into. Hope this helps, I can't see how else you could keep them in place.

Regards Les Noble

Brilliant thanks Les, (I had suspected that a previous owner must have fitted the wrong part in there).

Cheers

Chris

Previously chris_moorhouse wrote:

Hello

The manual shows the end cap with a thin bolt going through it but mine only has a grease nipple .I've tried pumping 140 oil into the s'arm via the nipple but when the s/arm is full the pressure of the oil inside the s/arm pops the cap off then the oil pours out! Has anyone got the method of fitting the end cap; glue ,perhaps, or maybe it's meant to be friction fit?

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris

The later 850 mk2's have the mk3 set up with shorter swing arm spindle andbusheswithwelch plugs. have a look at the parts list on Andover Norton website mk3. I have drilled and tapped a M5 hole in my welch plug to pump oil in. Mick.

Previously mick_green wrote:

Hello

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris

The later 850 mk2's have the mk3 set up with shorter swing arm spindle andbusheswithwelch plugs. have a look at the parts list on Andover Norton website mk3. I have drilled and tapped a M5 hole in my welch plug to pump oil in. Mick.

Hi Mick

Well, that's certainly shed some new light on this conundrum.

Thanks Mick.

Chris

When you have fitted the long screw be careful when you pump the oil in as its possible to snap the screw with to much pressure. I changed the locating set screw in the middle of the swinging arm to a stainless one with a hole drilled from the bottom of the thread and one drilled from the side, by slackening off the screwuntil the side hole can be seen means the oil can be topped up, with out the risk of snapping the long screw and you can see when the swinging arm is full of oil.

Regards Alan

Hello

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris

Hi Mick

Thanks Mick.

Chris

Hi Mick

How is the welch cap secured,interference fit or loctite?

Chris

Hello

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris

Hi Mick

Thanks Mick.

Chris

Hi Mick

Chris

Hello Chris

mine had a light interference, I tapped them home with a piece of wood and when bottomed out gave them a really good thump to spread and tighten them. (the welch plugs are concave)

Mick.

Previously alan_blackhurst wrote:

When you have fitted the long screw be careful when you pump the oil in as its possible to snap the screw with to much pressure. I changed the locating set screw in the middle of the swinging arm to a stainless one with a hole drilled from the bottom of the thread and one drilled from the side, by slackening off the screwuntil the side hole can be seen means the oil can be topped up, with out the risk of snapping the long screw and you can see when the swinging arm is full of oil.

Regards Alan

Clever stuff Alan , thanks. CM

Hello

Cheers

Chris

Hello Chris

Hi Mick

Thanks Mick.

Chris

Hi Mick

Chris

Hello Chris

mine had a light interference, I tapped them home with a piece of wood and when bottomed out gave them a really good thump to spread and tighten them. (the welch plugs are concave)

Mick.

Hi Mick

Thanks I'm onto it !

CM

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans