Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Proper tank/seat/mudguard for US 1962 650SS

Forums

I know both the 'small' tank and large petrol tank were available on the 1962 650SS. Factory records don't contain info on this, so does anyone know - did all bikes shipped to the US have the Manxman-style smaller tank, 'short' seat, and matching mudguard with the rear seat fixing further forward, or were there a mix of these and the larger tank/standard seat/standard mudguard (as in the UK) variations shipped over?

The first batch of the Manxman 650 numbered about 300. The records indicate that all of these had the smaller tank, high bars, double bend exhaust pipes and silencers unique to this model. There was lots of chromed bits and the frame was painted the same colour as the tank. Again, according to the records some of this first batch had red seats but the majority were black. The total production number of this version of the Manxman was about 660. But........the second part of this group of machines, contained some with black frames and other differences.

By September 1961 the planned Standard650, De-Luxe 650 and 650SS machines were being produced. All of these had the larger tank and different exhaust and silencers. The chromed bits on the early bikes were now only available as an option for the UK market. However, for the US export market the name Manxman mark 2 was used probably in an attempt to have some continuity along with lots of the shiny bits. Tank colours now included metallic blue, metallic red and some silver. The problem with these bikes being they were essentially the 650SS model with just a different name. So the tanks, exhausts, silencers, black painted frames etc were straight off a UK style 650SS.

To add a little more confusion to the identity game..........some of the mark 1 Manxman were damaged in shipment and others were damaged by their owners. Replacement parts, shipped from the UK were generally from the 650SS model which then led to hybrid models and huge problems for retorers 50 years later.

Hopefully, Anna will add to this thread and fill in any gaps or bits of useful info I have omitted.

Previously peter_bowman wrote:

I know both the 'small' tank and large petrol tank were available on the 1962 650SS. Factory records don't contain info on this, so does anyone know - did all bikes shipped to the US have the Manxman-style smaller tank, 'short' seat, and matching mudguard with the rear seat fixing further forward, or were there a mix of these and the larger tank/standard seat/standard mudguard (as in the UK) variations shipped over?

Hello well phil i think you just about coved everything , but the Engine and frame numbers and I can tell this member better

yours Anna J Dixon

Thanks Phil and Anna. My bike, 101350, is missing the tank, seat, and mudguards, so I don't know what it orignally had. I do know for a fact that a lot of 1962 models here in the US had the smaller tanks and equipment - even Jay Leno's 650SS, which is later than mine, has the smaller tank. I had 1962 ES2 with the small tank also. So I guess I can go either way and have it correct! And my bike was traditinal silver and black, which it will be again.

Your engine/frame number puts the date of production into early 1962. Possibly February of that year. My own 650SS is just a few hundred numbers on and was an April production machine. As I said in my previous posting, the factory had moved on to the Mark 2 Manxman with the later syle tank well before the end of 1961. The official start number of the 650SS run was bike 100099.

However, I see from my records that abatch of 50Manxman bikesfrom111651 went toBerliner USA Jan/Feb 1965 and also a batch of 24 export650 SS onJan/Feb 1965. My money would be on the first 50 being the mark 2 version ie. 650SS in disguise.

TheLast Manxman by number ( but not by date was )111850 also to Berliner 19.1.65.

Previously Phil Hannam wrote:

Your engine/frame number puts the date of production into early 1962. Possibly February of that year. My own 650SS is just a few hundred numbers on and was an April production machine. As I said in my previous posting, the factory had moved on to the Mark 2 Manxman with the later syle tank well before the end of 1961. The official start number of the 650SS run was bike 100099.

However, I see from my records that abatch of 50Manxman bikesfrom111651 went toBerliner USA Jan/Feb 1965 and also a batch of 24 export650 SS onJan/Feb 1965. My money would be on the first 50 being the mark 2 version ie. 650SS in disguise.

TheLast Manxman by number ( but not by date was )111850 also to Berliner 19.1.65.

Well the last batch manxman were not like the early Manxman's at all but were 650ss really they were all in black and silver for start and had the bigger tank and 650ss silencers so you could not really class the last lot as the manxman , the early Norton Manxman's were the best of the lot , even better than the 650SS as it lost all the chrome, parts its was built some what cheaper, AMC real run down the proud Name of Norton to a final collapes, in 1966, that was the real end of the Norton has we know them, the rest was people trying to keep the name afloat, and serviceing the demand from the export market, this is still the case today, with the 961, But new models are all ready wanting, if the proud Name is going too survive, and a all new electric bike has to come like them or not, the market will be going down its road , as climat change policys come into effect, by the EU directive , like it or not, its has to be, my personnel vue of a future Norton is one without wheels, ! it levitates in a magnetic field we have this technology now, but its been superessed but because of the petrodoller, !

they still want the world to run on oil, but its killing the planet,

these are the real hard facts, Norton Or No Nortons, were all too blame,

so enjoy them wile it lasts, as there going to be more enforcement on clean vehical technology, by 2020 , we may have to buy cabon off setting

to ride our out dated Norton machnies , that lest this is the thinking the EU, Directive, and what else will the green and clean people have up there sleeves , now back to the last Norton manxman's from plumstead ,!!

Just not the same some how, Yours Anna J

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans