Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mk.lll 850 exhaust downpipes

Forums

I'm looking to replace the original balanced front pipes with unbalanced but need some advice where I can source a pair that will actually fit, and at a reasonable price.

I have read through previous messages to find a suggestion that Mick Hemmings would be the place to go, but that message was posted September 2013, I was wondering if anyone has had a more recent experience.

Previously ray_robson wrote:

I'm looking to replace the original balanced front pipes with unbalanced but need some advice where I can source a pair that will actually fit, and at a reasonable price.

I have read through previous messages to find a suggestion that Mick Hemmings would be the place to go, but that message was posted September 2013, I was wondering if anyone has had a more recent experience.

I would still say go with Mick Hemmings I have bought silencers from him this year and he always has the correct exhaust/silencers in stock. However I also have used Norvil and Andover in the past for these items and had no problems.

John Mc

Previously John McNicoll wrote:

Previously ray_robson wrote:

I would still say go with Mick Hemmings I have bought silencers from him this year and he always has the correct exhaust/silencers in stock. However I also have used Norvil and Andover in the past for these items and had no problems.

John Mc

Norman White does some hand made pipes which can be made to "traditional" style or "tucked in," although not cheap.

I got my Stainless one's from Armour in Bournmouthyou can find them inthe services directory.

Regards Alan

I bought an exhaust pipe from Armours and now find my kick start fouls the silencer, so I'm not impressed! In all other respects the quality looks good.

David

I bought a pair silencers for my Dommie from Armours about 20 years ago, & they were/are excellent. I subsequently had to replace one after it was damaged in an altercation with a foreign lorry, & this was equally as good as the originals. So when I needed a pair of unbalanced down pipes for my mk2a Commando a couple of years ago, I went to Armours for these. Both had to have the flange ground down so that they would fit the head, Armours excuse for this was that they deliberately made them oversize in case the head was worn, that way they would still fit tightly. ???? (I think they thought they were just a push fit like Triumph etc) The right hand pipe made the silencer sit out so far that the kick start would not pass at all & the left hand pipe would not fit without removal of the primary chain case, it had such an upward sweep. I complained to Armours & they said it was my bike that was at fault, not their pipes. After much argument, & on return of the originals, they sent me another pair which were just as bad a fit, & also had a terrible finish, it was like mig spatter had been chromed over, they felt like sand paper, & there were signs of rust spots developing. I sent these back, demanded my money back & bought a pair of Toga which went straight on & fit well, thereâs loads of clearance for the kick start, the silencers sit nice & level at the rear & both angle out from the bike the same amount & after two seasons riding still look almost new, no blueing or discolouration & no sign of any rust or chrome defects. Best of all, they were significantly cheaper than Armours. In summary, I canât fault their silencers, but their down pipes were, for me, useless & dreadful quality, & their attitude when I complained was not good either. I will be reluctant to spend money with them again.

Regards, Tim

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans