Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Mk 111 rear disk

Forums

Hi

Can anyone please give me the part number (I have a 1977 commando ES).

Where is the best place to buy one - I have seen them on fleabay but they are made in India.

Many thanks

Jake.

Look at Andover Norton's distributor list. We now list dealers in the order of the Genuine Norton Factory Parts content in their spares offerings.

I have bought samples of the pirate discs and let's just say I would not put them on a Commando that my kids or I will then ride.

While on the subject,is converting from rear drum to disk brake a matter of only swapping parts, or are there any special frame lugs/extensions/levers etc.? I don't seem to be able get any noticable effect from the drum.

If you exchange enough parts, it is simple. Least complicated is probably if you exchange one part- your current bike- for another part- an 850Mk3.

The Mk3 was effectively a new bike- you'd be surprised how many parts are different and not interchangeable with the pre-Mk3 models. Easy to see is you need a different rear wheel with brake and swinging arm. But what is with a hydraulic rear master cylinder etc? How do you fit it to your current footrest setup? I have seen a lot of people try but very few succeed.

Tom, I managed a decent conversion on my rear drum to twin leading shoe hydraulic. I used a Mini front wheel brake plate and shoes and a Triumph Herald (remember those?) master cylinder. It allowed me to have a short brake pedal pivoting on the footrest. Most rearset rear brakes rely on a very short brake pedal and the rear brake is worse than it ever was. My conversion has been on the bike for about 27 years, I wouldn't go back now.

You could fit a Mk3 rear wheel and retain the LH brake pedal. The hydraulic line would have to cross over to the right but it's not rocket science. Some method of mounting the caliper could be fabricated from a few bits of 3/8" alloy plate. This all presumes a little engineering knowledge and unlimited time in the man cave, now that is the problem

Considering the amount of new parts needed to convert to disk, I will probably work a little more on the drum. Fortunately the front disk has got a new lease of life, with the Andover Norton master cylinder conversion. Works very well, only drawback is the enourmous lump of aluminium now positioned next to the throttle!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans