Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Italy 2016

I've just been having a read through this months Roadholder and noticed the 2016 international rally is in Rimini, Italy and would coincide nicely with a rally I do every year in northern France. I then had a look on google maps and realised I'd need to be doing 250-300 miles a day to get to the NOC rally after leaving the French run on Monday morning. Maybe a bit much on my 65 year old ES2!

I know its very early days yet, but, just out of interest, would anyone else be thinking of riding there?

Thanks Alan

Looks like a good option, I'll have to try and get to this one as I've not done many NOC rallies yet.

Andy

Hi Alan

I have just been to the railsavers website by clicking on the link you gave me and got the following message... Back to the drawing board I guess.

Regards

Andy

--------------------------------

SAD NEWS

Dear David,

EETC Vakantietreinen informs you that, inspite earlier informations, the Autoslaap Trein to LIVORNO, ALESSANDRIA & KOPER will be discontinued.

Best regards,

On the behalf of EETC,

This email was received by us at 16.12 yesterday afternoon Tuesday 22 April. Instructions, advice regarding alternatives,refunds,channel crossings will be emailed to effected clients by 10am GMT.

Everybody at Railsavers are dreadfully sorry that EETC have waited til so late in the year to cancel. It is completely unfair and we have nearly 4000 clients effected.

Our offices will remain open for extended hours as long as help is required

DWC EvansACIBManaging Director Railsavers (Europe) Ltd

I just got back from the rally in France this year so thought I'd have a look at the website and see if they gave prices etc... Was rather dissapointed when I saw that, I think I'd miss half the NOC rally if I rode all the way there!

Im riding over with Mal from Essex branch, Looking at going Portsmouth to LeHarve and then riding through France to Germany, Black Forest and then the passes in Switzerland and then onto the Rally in Italy. I will be sorting out routes on tomtom soon and be downloadable, also will have hotels all prebooked en-route but all payable on the night and happy to have anyone to join us. Happy to post hotels and routes here as I have them if you are interested?

Cheers

Dom

Hi Dom

That would be good. Will be interested to seen where you are heading. How long you planning on taking to do it?

Andy

Previously dominic_loram wrote:

Im riding over with Mal from Essex branch, Looking at going Portsmouth to LeHarve and then riding through France to Germany, Black Forest and then the passes in Switzerland and then onto the Rally in Italy. I will be sorting out routes on tomtom soon and be downloadable, also will have hotels all prebooked en-route but all payable on the night and happy to have anyone to join us. Happy to post hotels and routes here as I have them if you are interested?

Cheers

Dom

Hello Dom,

I'm interested in riding there and would like to have pre-booked hotels en-route so please keep me advised. The guys from Yorkshire would probably sail from Hull to Zeebrugge overnight and maybe meet up at your first hotel stop.

Andy.

Previously gino_rondelli wrote:

Hdere's a unique suggestion, why don't we ride our motorcycles there?Ok a bit zany but worth a try?

"why don't we ride our motorcycles there? "

Maybe its something to do with people getting older and more infirme. Certainly incontinence and odema following surgery for cancer, and debiitating lethargy from the ongoing treatment didnt make my ride to and from Ireland on a rigid single any easier. There is also the fear of health complications or bike problems while being hundreds of miles and a sea crossing from home when you dont speak the language or know if you will have the strenth to deal with it.

Its easy to deride those who dont ride their Nortons to the rallys unless you have walked in their shoes. Or rode in their incontinence pants.

Linda and I intend to ride to the rally in Italy. A long way but we just view as 4 or 5 days of normal riding. The NOC is in preliminary discussions with a transport company who are experienced in shipping bikes and cars on a low loader. Bikes would have to be delivered to Asford in Kent which I appreciate is not ideal for those further north. The cost will be very reasonable perovided the numbers work out. Ryanair will fly you to Rimini at a reasonable cost. There may even be scope to arrange transport one way thereby leaving the option ride the other way.

Having read Gino's depressing list of woes they would undoubtedly explain why some will be unable to ride to the rally but if you can get yourself there it promises to be a great event. As none of us are getting any younger, best to do things now if we still can.

Tim H

I'm up for riding to this but it will be on my ES2, so will probably not ride with a group due to a difference in speeds. Anyone else mad enough to do it on a single?

Andy

Hi Andy, I have driven to Italy about 12 times ,I do not pay Road tolls (appart from the Swiss one) I usually take 3 days to Northern Italy including the crossing day. I camp on a couple of French (cheap!) sites usually on the Mosel river.I usually don't exceed 65 mph. There is also a good site south of Mons which i aim for for the first night. There is a Cafe /takeaway near . If you want any recommendations please ask.

Hi All

The Mudge family from the Isle of Wight will be driving down with a van with two Nortons in the back(hopefully 2) through France across to Northern Italy taking 4 days with hotels already booked with book now pay later web site and return journey through Austria, Germany, France. Well that's the plan but it could change.

Travelling to North Italy may take you through Switzerland or Austria, Who will charge you to use the motorway system. One charge lasts a year and covers the tunnel under the Alps so its worth using the same route both ways. Difficult to avoid so its worth paying it.Italy charges tols on most motorways. Go by Lille/luxembourg Free motoways plus a cheap fill up in Lux where all the outlets seem to charge the same even on the motorway.Belgian Motorways are badly maintained...,bumpy!.

A group of us are looking to cross from Plymouth to Roscoff, then head across France. It looks as though the E62 morphs into the E25 just south of Geneva, without actually crossing into Switzerland, which should save a 40 Euro charge.It will incur the Mont Blanc tunnel toll though, currently about E29 one way, or E36 return. Or, we may take the scenic route, along the Cote-d'Azure.....

The easiest crossing for me would be Dover-Calais as I'm only a couple of hourse from Dover. It would then be about 900 miles by a fairly direct route to Rimini, trying to avoid motorways wherever possible! However I wouldn't mind riding to another UK port if it meant joining up with another group and not riding it on my own.

I know there is an option to ship the bikes down there, and these companies will normally take riding gear and maybe camping gear as well, but would it be possible to put camping gear etc in the container without a bike? Save having to carry everything on the back of the bike all the way there!

You would be charged for the cost of transporting the bike, Andy. The ones I have used who ship bikes out to track days in Spain, Portugal etc have dedicated crates which you strap your bike into, then stow what you can around it. They are not designed to carry small stuff, so I think they would say no to just luggage, even if a few of you teamed up. Anyway, you will need stuff for the journey, and your tools won't be any good to you in a crate if you break down! Maybe a group are riding down in convoy with a van? That is the best way to get your luggage there. I am sure these plans will evolve over the coming months.

Roscoff to Rimini is about 1050 miles using a fairly direct route. I don't know how easy it will be to avoid motorways from southern France into Italy, though.

Driving down the spine of Italy the commercial traffic can be heavy ,Avoid cities as they can be hard to find a way through. A satnav will help a lot.

Previously andy_marks wrote:

Thanks Ian. Was just a thought. What bikes will you be riding down on?

I will probably take my wideline 650SS. There could be two 961's, maybe a Triumph 955, maybe a rotary,and Commando's; but nothing is decided yet. We expect 2 overnight stops on the way.

Providing I'm fit enough to travel, my plan would be Calais to Nurburgring, then onto Garmish Partenkirken, over the Brenner pass and maybe the Stelvio pass, then on down to Rimini. Three stops maybe four depending on the Stelvio bit. Might invest in one of those airhawk seat padsblush

Just come back from Italy so I don't think I dare ask for a pass for this one!. If I were to do it ,I would wimp out and go in a van with a couple or three bikes and some camping gear,Cheap way to do it and could take my time and do some lakeside riding on the way.

The van option is a good one from the point of view of recovering a broken machine, taking plenty of camping kit and overall economy. Three Nortons at 50 MPG each as opposed to a transit at 40 MPG. One vehicle ferry price. The only downside is errrr.

If it occures that the club organise a container to take the bikes there, I may send my single down in that, with my camping gear, then ride a modern bike down to the rally.

So it will be a trouble free ride there and back, and I will have a Norton there for the rally

Hi Andy

Not sure yet, but If I go it will be on my Model 50, From Yorkshire, so if I can get my pass out I would be pleased to ride with you, at a fairly sedate rate!I would prefer to stay in hotels on the journey to and from the rally though, (Never a shortage in France and Italy) 200-300mls a day shouldn't be a problem

Kind regards John O

Many campsites have Tents /cabins/ caravans for hire and in italy there is always somewhere to eat ,often to late in the evening ,not like France where after lunch everything shuts.

I have 2 options in mind.

1: Do our other rally in France then leave Bailleul on Monday morning and aim to cover about 300miles a day and be in Rimini Wednesday afternoon for the start of the rally. This would involve going through France, Switzerland and into Italy.

2: Skip the French run and spend 5-6 days riding down through Germany, Austria and some of the passes into Italy. Less than 200 miles most days and having time to stop and enjoy the trip a bit more.

It largely depends what other people are doing to get there, I can't say I am fussed about riding down on my own so will try and go with a group.

Previously Andy Marks wrote:

I have 2 options in mind.

1: Do our other rally in France then leave Bailleul on Monday morning and aim to cover about 300miles a day and be in Rimini Wednesday afternoon for the start of the rally. This would involve going through France, Switzerland and into Italy.

2: Skip the French run and spend 5-6 days riding down through Germany, Austria and some of the passes into Italy. Less than 200 miles most days and having time to stop and enjoy the trip a bit more.

It largely depends what other people are doing to get there, I can't say I am fussed about riding down on my own so will try and go with a group.

Hi Andy 2 maybe 3 of us intend riding down from South East London no firm plans yet other than its going to happen

It looks as though us Tamar Valley lads are fading out on this trip. The reality of 5 days riding there and 5 days back from Cornwall/W Devon for 5 days at the rally is not looking practical, and with the transport options not viable from this far west, we are having pass on it

Previously peter_holden wrote:

Andy

Perhaps you could give details of the Bailleul rally you refer too.

peter.

i am looking at the best way to attend the rally.

as i have not yet retired riding there would be great but don,t want to use best part of two weeks holiday.

i have arranged for a bike to be delivered to [brescia] about 180miles from the rally site.with a nice ride to and from the wearhouse and a flight to bergamo [40 mls] away.

i will have to crate the bike and deliver to the haulage company.

they will keep my crate until i return the bike.

£300 is what i,ve been quoted.

tony

Ian, Taymar Valley lads, (and anyone else).

When you say 'transport options not viable from this far west' you are aware that the courier option is from your door, and any other door in the UK, to the rally site in Italy? No central distribution base to get your bike to, and the service is either way, or both. Also,all your camping and /or bike gear can travel with the bike.

Robbie, the courier, runs a limited company, with vehicles based in the UK and Italy. He delivers the new 961s from Donington, and came recommended by Karen at Norton. All fully insured, using a large van, and purpose built box trailer, to make up the maximum of eight, and with no mimimum requirement.

I live in the far west (of Wales) and will be using this service both ways.

Roger.

I'll be riding my Mk3 Commando there and back. Cant understand the reluctance to riding all the way, health and vintage bikes excepted, you'll be missing out on some fantastic roads and a fantastic experience.

Possible route is Poole to Cherbourg, then head in a south east direction following the old Bol d'Or route in the direction of Clermont-Ferrand, then Le Puy, Gap, into Italy and follow your nose to the rally. Return journey head north into Austria then across into Germany, taking in the Black Forest and as many twisty roads as possible - and maybe another rally or two.

Lots of bike rally info athttp://www.lpmcc.net/rallies

Roger. We appreciate anything can be done, if it is within one's budget, but there are other considerations, including flights, which only seem to be from London or Manchester, which are 500-700 mile round trips from here. Certainly none from SW airports. Also, as has been mentioned, we will be missing out on a great ride there; it seems a bit of a cheat really, so for those and other reasons, I am out!

Simon - add to your reasons 'time' and 'budget'. Otherwise, I agree. In an ideal world it wouild be a great way to spend 2 1/2 weeks.

We will experience it vicariously no doubt, through the reports of those who go. Enjoy!

Looking at the info thats now available I would like to stay in one of the mobile homes, mainly to save me carrying a tent etc all the way there and back. However they are for 3 people, are there any groups of 2 looking for a 3rd person to fill one?

Andy

I will probably meet on Tuesday, May 24th 2016 with two other 961 riders near Lucerne, Switzerland. They are riding further to Rimini, International Rally.

If anybody is interested to meet up, let me know. We will meet at this place:

http://www.acecafeluzern.ch

Please consider for your route planning that some of the passes in the Alps might be either still closed or difficult to ride depending on climate in May...

Regards

Raphael, Switzerland

Previously raphael_vonaesch wrote:

I will probably meet on Tuesday, May 24th 2016 with two other 961 riders near Lucerne, Switzerland. They are riding further to Rimini, International Rally.

If anybody is interested to meet up, let me know. We will meet at this place:

http://www.acecafeluzern.ch

Please consider for your route planning that some of the passes in the Alps might be either still closed or difficult to ride depending on climate in May...

Regards

Raphael, Switzerland

Come on guys there must be a bunch of us up for this !!!! I'm definitely in..

Terry

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans