Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Inner cover center stud installation on 1975 Mk.3

Forums

Greetings everyone! New member here... I am in the middle of sorting out a few issues with my chaincase (leaking mainseal, maladjusted backfire device and a few other worn out parts) and have a question about the center mounting stud. Which way does it go? Andover's diagrams have the long, fixed hexagonal portion of the stud up against the cover and my factory manual seems to have it the other way around. Alternately, does it really matter as long as in the end it is adjusted properly so the cover is not bent or stressed. Any advice? Many thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome....

On my Mk3 the hexagonal portion is against the engine plates, with the nut and washer against the rear of the inner cover. I've always tightened this by feel after the four crankcase bolts have been tightened, but have also seen mention of it being used to adjust the rotor air gap if there are clearance issues... but only to the left and right of, not above and below.

Enjoy!

Previously charles_claxton wrote:

Hi and welcome....

On my Mk3 the hexagonal portion is against the engine plates, with the nut and washer against the rear of the inner cover. I've always tightened this by feel after the four crankcase bolts have been tightened, but have also seen mention of it being used to adjust the rotor air gap if there are clearance issues... but only to the left and right of, not above and below.

Enjoy!

Thank you for posting so quickly! I was starting to think my Sunday Norton- time was going to be wasted in uncertainty.

Regarding orienting the part, that was my feeling as well but wanted at least one person to confirm. Seems like it would be easier to adjust this way. When I took it apart, it was turned around the other way (stud against the cover), with the work done by a reputable shop in California by the previous owner. In any case, hopefully you can see my confusion. Ultimately it may not matter. I have, in fact been riding it that way for over a year without anything awful happening. I launched on taking the chaincase apart because the backfire device starting unacceptably slipping.

I also read about using this to adjust the rotor air gap but am leary about this. That seems like a good way to stress the case unless one takes care to use proper spacers. One step at a time, I suppose. Again, thank you for the response.

Mind you, the 'official' books can be off mark, too. In the Mk3 Workshop Manual they show the gearbox ratchet plate mounted on the inner cover in two different illustrations.... I can only assume they've duplicated earlier practice, as this can't be done with the Mk3 assembly...

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans