Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Help needed with 1970 commando

Forums

Good morning all, I am hoping a long standing member from the Hampshire/Dorset area might be able to help me with a problem. I have acquired a 1970 Norton Commando with many parts missing including, unfortunately, the log book and number plate. The bike has been off the road for 40 years. The owner has passed away and I am unable to find much information regarding the bike from the next of kin. I have been notified by the club that according to the vin,it left the factory on 31st July 1970 and was delivered to Glanfield Baldet Ltd of Northampton. The last known owner who had it from the mid 70's was Robert (Bob ) Webb who lived in Southampton and was a member of the club and who had owned a few Nortons in his time. All I have is a picture of the bike taken in 1976, does anyone remember Bob from maybe the Solent branch or Dorset branch and does anyone have any pictures ideally of his bike showing the number plate. I know this may be a long shot but surely worth a try, many thanks Dean.

The picture I have shows the bike with an Interstate tank, although it left the factory with a roadster tank and craven panniers and rack. It is black in colour and has the "halo" type headlight mounts.

If Bob lived in Southampton then the chances are that he was a member of the Southampton Branch NOC, which was actually based in nearby Eastleigh. In the middle 70s John Hudson was also a member along with a small group from Park Road Motorcycles, a big local Norton dealer at the time. The Southampton Branch were well into Club Racing and held many events at Thruxton in the 70s. A couple of clues in the above might help track down someone who knew him.

Thanks for the reply, yes I remember Park Road Motorcycles in Shirley High Street as in 1978 I started work at Alex Bennetts in Portswood. The strange thing is I may have even served Bob with parts whilst I worked on the spares counter.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans