Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Dunstall 850 Commando cafe racer...

Forums

Greetings from sunny Florida, I am considering the purchase over here of a genuine factory Dunstall 850 Commando cafe racer and I was wondering what other members' opinions of these might be? The price is around 5,300 pounds sterling equivalent, in black/gold, with all the Dunstall goodies and around 1,700 recorded miles, in apparently nice condition. So, should I avoid this like the plague, or seize it immediately? How available might replacement Dunstall parts now might be and from where? Recently missed a genuine Dresda Triton also, but still potentially in the market for such a toy, if anyone ever might encounter one for sale... Ride safely, Dr. Zip. >>>--->

Previously wrote:

Greetings from sunny Florida, I am considering the purchase over here of a genuine factory Dunstall 850 Commando cafe racer and I was wondering what other members' opinions of these might be? The price is around 5,300 pounds sterling equivalent, in black/gold, with all the Dunstall goodies and around 1,700 recorded miles, in apparently nice condition. So, should I avoid this like the plague, or seize it immediately? How available might replacement Dunstall parts now might be and from where? Recently missed a genuine Dresda Triton also, but still potentially in the market for such a toy, if anyone ever might encounter one for sale... Ride safely, Dr. Zip. >>>--->

I don't think Paul Dunstall ever tuned any 850 Commandos. His conversion was from 745cc to 810cc with an alloy barrel and his racing machines had needle roller camshaft bearings and an oil feed to the cam lobes. There is some info on the access norton website but the alloy barrels are a little fragile. Even if it is not original, a Commando for that price would be worth persuing. The exhaust should be 2 into one into 2, rearsets, alloy rims, fibreglass seat and tank etc. I would think new spares are unobtainable.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans