Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Commando oil consumption (not 961)

Forums

Is there a normal level ? The reason I ask is that having just come back from the IOM I calculate I have used oil at the rate of 835 miles to the pint. I'm not sure whether this is good, bad or average ?

This included a cross country run from Bristol to the Wirral/R.Mersey and return from Liverpool at a pretty brisk pace down the M62/M6/M5 all two-up and havily laden. The remainder was round the Island, in part leisurely and at other times getting a move on - again all two up. Did 625 miles in total.

Alan Elstob

Alan,

I reckon 1,000 miles pp is normal for my 850 Mk3. You are not that far behind. Mine does not leak any engine oil, if your does then that could be the difference, also I have known crank seals to start to leak (Not saying that yours has) and started to fill the primary case. If you have no clutch slip then suspect all is well there.

I don't know what grade of oil you are using but I have found improvements since I went back to 20-50 (Though I still believe straight oil is best in singles but 20-50 in Norton twins for me)

If you have no black smoke and dirty oil then I would think all was well if it were my bike, others may think different?

PS: I see why you said not 961, now!!!

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans