Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

Commando 850 Mk.1 exhaust downpipes

Forums

I have been lucky enough to secure the purchase of an early mk1 850 USA Import Commando. It came without exhausts so looking to purchase a set. The only problem is I'm having great difficulty in identifying what I need to buy. The Mk1's all seem to not have a cross tube, but none of the exhaust suppliers list a set of pipes for the Mk1. The Norton 850 Parts List only lists pipes with a cross tube. In all probability I need to buy a set for a 750. Can any one advise on whether 750 down pipes will fit.

Paul Gibbons (Bromley Kent)

I believe the balance pipe was there from the word go as far as the 850s were concerned, though of course many would have lost them by now.

My Mk3 came with single pipes and peashooters, Armours provided a 'balanced' system which fitted and looked fine, though it's NOT based on the final set up with spherical washers and matching collets, so matching nuts (!) are also necessary...

Not certain but think the balance pipe was first introduced on the Mk 1A (which I have)while the Mk 1 850 was without and as per MkV 750 -which were both beingproduced in parallel at the factory for a few months in '73.

Had no trouble getting newpaired 850 pipes both with and without thebalance pipe acouple of years ago at Kempton and other classic bike shows.

Previously james_fanning wrote:

Not certain but think the balance pipe was first introduced on the Mk 1A (which I have)while the Mk 1 850 was without and as per MkV 750 -which were both beingproduced in parallel at the factory for a few months in '73.

Had no trouble getting newpaired 850 pipes both with and without thebalance pipe acouple of years ago at Kempton and other classic bike shows.

I have a MK 1 850 which has balance pipes from new.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans