Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 Mk.lll rear sets

Forums

Having owned a mk111 for about 30yrs, i am considering adapting the footrests to a more comfortable position.

I have an idea for the left foot, which involves a short connecting rod and rose joints for the gear shift, but the brake side has me stumped. Has anyone made any nice neat rear sets for this bike ?

CheersHT

Norman Hyde's website shows no Norton items any more other than some generic peashooter silencers(or at least I can't see them). The Suppliers & Services Directory on this website returns 4 suppliers if the keyword 'rearsets' is entered into the search facility.

Previously wrote:

Having owned a mk111 for about 30yrs, i am considering adapting the footrests to a more comfortable position.

I have an idea for the left foot, which involves a short connecting rod and rose joints for the gear shift, but the brake side has me stumped. Has anyone made any nice neat rear sets for this bike ?

CheersHT

Hi Hans,

I;ve posted a wanted advert on NOC for a set ofstandard foottests for my manxman , to replace my rear sets as fitted, do you know if your standard set will fit my manxman and my rearsets fit your commie, if so perhaps a deal is possible!

best wishes

BobPresley

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

CheersHT

Hi Hans,

I;ve posted a wanted advert on NOC for a set ofstandard foottests for my manxman , to replace my rear sets as fitted, do you know if your standard set will fit my manxman and my rearsets fit your commie, if so perhaps a deal is possible!

best wishes

BobPresley

Thanks for the offer Bob , but I dont think the Manxman has the same sort of disc brake set-up that the Commando has.

Previously wrote:

A friend of mine has a Mk3 with rearsets. I believe they originate from Norman Hyde. They look well made.

Thanks David, any chance of a name or a photo ??

Cheers

Previously wrote:

Previously wrote:

CheersHT

Hans,

RGM Motors market a rear set kit for the MK111, check it out on their web site.

Previously wrote:

CheersHT

Hans,

I am also quite interested in rearsets for my Mk3. Whilst Hyde do not advertise these any more, my memory suggests that Alan Seeley fitted Hyde rearsets to his Mk 2a about 3 or 4 years ago, so they might still be available, but probably best to ring Norman Hyde. They are rather crudely finished in black paint I rememeber Alan writing however.

The3 other options appear to be RGM, Colorado Norton Works (they are testing the Mk3 versions at present but they are milled ally and quite expensive) and I think there is Clubman Racing from the US which offer them as well http://www.clubmanracing.com/rearsets.phpfor $329 which seems reasonable (plus VAT, Shipping and duty of course).

Kind regards

Luke Albanese

Previously wrote:

Norman Hyde's website shows no Norton items any more other than some generic peashooter silencers(or at least I can't see them). The Suppliers & Services Directory on this website returns 4 suppliers if the keyword 'rearsets' is entered into the search facility.

Having just spoken to Norman Hyde's this morning, although they no longer do Commando stock, they will consider requests for Mk3 rearsets (or at least they are actively doing so now), and the quoted price is quite modest (£150 plus VAT) so worth giving them a call. Might be possible to get them in bare steel and have them Chromed or finished to your requirements by someone else.

Kind regards

Luke Albanese

Has anyone fitted the Hyde Rearsets? I have acquired a pair for my Mk2a Roadster, but they don't fold far enough to clear the kickstart.

Richard

Previously richard_fincher wrote:

Has anyone fitted the Hyde Rearsets? I have acquired a pair for my Mk2a Roadster, but they don't fold far enough to clear the kickstart.

Richard

Hi Richard, I have a set of Hyde rearsets for the mk 111 Commando, I have had them for about 30 years but no longer have them fitted to the bike. I remember in order to get the kickstarter in the place it will work it has to be almost horizontal so it is actually under the footrest. The problem is that in this position after you have taken up the backlash you only get a small degree of kick, which is enough to get it going on most occasions but might be a challenge when its cold in winter. Sorry I havent got a photo of the lever position.

Cheers Big Alan Clarke, Shenstone branch sec.

Previously alan_clarke2 wrote:

Previously richard_fincher wrote:

Richard

Hi Richard, I have a set of Hyde rearsets for the mk 111 Commando, I have had them for about 30 years but no longer have them fitted to the bike. I remember in order to get the kickstarter in the place it will work it has to be almost horizontal so it is actually under the footrest. The problem is that in this position after you have taken up the backlash you only get a small degree of kick, which is enough to get it going on most occasions but might be a challenge when its cold in winter. Sorry I havent got a photo of the lever position.

Cheers Big Alan Clarke, Shenstone branch sec.

Thank you Alan - After writing this I tried that and couldn't work out any other way of doing it either and nearly dislocated my knee, so figured there might be a more elegant solution. But clearly not. I'll see about another set at some point.

If, despite reading the above, anyone wants a set for a right-hand shift model, I will sell them. No, really.

Thanks again. I will try to get to the Shenstone meet one evening because I have family in the area.

Richard

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans