Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 Mk.lll colour scheme

Forums

I own a 1977 850 mk111 Roadster,this was bought by me 1979.At that point in time it had the JPN colour scheme,white tank with red & blue stripe.Was this a standard colour for that year?

Thankadvance for any responses.

Paul Kelly

The White / blue / red scheme was used on a few late 1974 Mk2As and was listed for the 1975 production Mk3s. In theory it remained an available colour although all the 1977 last-build Mk3s that I've seen or read about seem to have been silver Interstates but that doesn't mean that a buyer couldn't have asked (and dealers were known to swap parts).

Andover Norton may have a record if you ask Joe Seiffert nicely. You may also still be able to ask DVLA for a copy of their microfiche records which should list any colour change and may include the original application.

Is it a Mk3 Roadster tank (with no seam around the headstock) ? It should be possible to tell if the paintwork is a factory job.

I also thought that 77 build bikes were all silver Interstates untill I got my hands on an original candy apple red one .

sam

Previously richard_payne wrote:

The White / blue / red scheme was used on a few late 1974 Mk2As and was listed for the 1975 production Mk3s. In theory it remained an available colour although all the 1977 last-build Mk3s that I've seen or read about seem to have been silver Interstates but that doesn't mean that a buyer couldn't have asked (and dealers were known to swap parts).

Andover Norton may have a record if you ask Joe Seiffert nicely. You may also still be able to ask DVLA for a copy of their microfiche records which should list any colour change and may include the original application.

Is it a Mk3 Roadster tank (with no seam around the headstock) ? It should be possible to tell if the paintwork is a factory job.

Hi Richard,thanks for reply.After accident on way to north west 200 circa 1980 i changed tank to interstate model as i was attending a lot of rallies at the time.I kept original roadster tank and had this repaired & resprayed [black] and returned bike to original roadster spec a couple of years ago.Bike had roadster side panels fitted as well as roadster tank when purchased in 1979 and had 2,000 miles on clock but i wasnt aware all mk3 bikes from 1977 were Interstates.

Paul, I don't know for sure that all the '77 production were Interstates but I do remember the publicity and must have pressed my snotty seventeen year old nose againt the window of every dealer in the south-east of England who had one for sale, wondering how I'd ever find £1200.

I only remember Interstates but that doesn't mean that there weren't any others.

Something odd happened to the Roadster tank in 1975 as they lost the seam and gained a much more hand-beaten shape underneath so I can't help wondering if there were supply problems with that tank.

The big dealers had heaps of trim parts back in the late '70s. I'm sure that if a customer had asked for another version, it would have been supplied.

Hi Richard,

Contacted Andover Norton about colour scheme for 1977 mk3 roadsters,they were very helpful and confirmed that JPN colours were an option for that year.

Paul, I don't know for sure that all the '77 production were Interstates but I do remember the publicity and must have pressed my snotty seventeen year old nose againt the window of every dealer in the south-east of England who had one for sale, wondering how I'd ever find £1200.

I only remember Interstates but that doesn't mean that there weren't any others.

Something odd happened to the Roadster tank in 1975 as they lost the seam and gained a much more hand-beaten shape underneath so I can't help wondering if there were supply problems with that tank.

The big dealers had heaps of trim parts back in the late '70s. I'm sure that if a customer had asked for another version, it would have been supplied.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans