Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 Mk11A Original Fitments

Forums

Hi, after a 38 Year absence I,m happy to be back in the club and ready to start restoration of a sadly neglected Commando. Just a couple of quick questions with regard to some of the parts I have and not sure about. The front wheel has a badly corroded chrome rim and the rear is alloy rimmed is this normal ? also one side panel is steel and the other fibreglass ? Finally with ref to the tank paintwork should it have a twin or single gold pinstripe around the perimeter.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Regards

Dave

Both wheels would have had steel rims, and both side panels would have been either steel or fibreglass depending on model. Can't remember the pinstripes.....

Rims were steel front and rear wm2 19, mainly Dunlop but some Jones stamped ones are around. All 850,s had double pinstripes 750 had single. My MK2a came with 2 fibre glass side panels and I replaced them with steel based on preference.

Thanks to both members for the really quick replies and answers, think I'll go along with the steel preferences. Also before I inundate the forum with lots of Questions I have I am based in the North East of Scotland so if any members can recommend any professional help with restoration within travelling distance (basically Scotland) with regards to wheelbuilding etc. it would be appreciated.

If anyone has a line on MK2A side panels, preferably fibre glass, I could use a black, battery-side one for my Interstate. Last time I looked I didn't find any, cheers.

Hi Colin,

I have a pair of Mk IIA side panels and battery box etc. Battery box was blasted and treated with zinc phosphate prior to powder coating (black) including ignition key plate. Side covers are immaculate but in candy apple red with silver decals & pinstripe with clear-coat. I have to locate these as we are in a post house move carton city. Let me know if you are interested?

Rgds Steve

Thanks Steve,

I've often pondered a candy apple red makeover! It's a glorious colour. But I'm curious, pinstriping on Interstate side covers, they're definitely not for a Roadster? No matter, but tbh if they are Interstate side covers and not Roadster items, and I took them off you, I'd strip them and turn them black with new decals. Plus I'm far from flush at the moment â if I were flush I might have another think about a candy apple red makeover, but as it is I'm not sure I can do you justice financially for both panels and the battery box! And I wouldn't expect you to part with just the one side panel. Take your time with those boxes, I know what it's like!

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin,

Let me find them; I am sure there are no pinstripes just the clear coated decals. But beware, 'I may be away for some time'

Rgds Steve

Thanks Steve,

You're very kind â understood, but please don't go to any great lengths on my behalf! It's not super urgent, it's just that the MK2A side panels seem to be a design all of their own, AN don't offer them, and nor, it seems, does anyone else, so any mention of them and I pop up! My oil tank cover is fine really, and the battery cover is perfectly serviceable, but â many years ago, when my MK2A was my only bike and I rode it a lot I had electrical troubles, and missed having an ammeter. So, unaware of its rarity, I fitted one into the battery cover! Shocking, I know â but things like Al Osborne's gizmos weren't available then, not that I know of anyway! You can't watch my ammeter while you're riding, but it's there to glance at when stationary etc. Now I'd rather have the gizmo and an entire side panel.

Cheers,

Colin

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans