Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

850 clutch problem!

Forums

New to the club so please be gentle!

i have run into a problem re-assembling the clutch on my 850 interstate. It has a belt drive and needle bearing conversion.

The clutch has been slipping under power so I decided to clean the plates, which I have now done. Upon reassembly, and refitting the clutch, the clutch lever will not move at all. I have taken it all apart and the clutch push rod is moving fine, but with the clutch diaphragm spring refitted it refuses to budge, the clutch lever is impossible to pull and the diaphragm doesn’t “spring” at all. I have even assembled it without any clutch plates fitted and it is still solid.

I have carried out this job before with no problem, this time I have obviously done something stupid or is it possible I have damaged the diaphragm spring such that it is stuck in a solid position and has lost its spring? If so I guess a new one is in order? 

Any advice welcome!

Cheers

Andy

andy,

check that the  clutch lever moves without the clutch fitted,it may be the lever in the gearbox end has moved,apply the clutch  lever place your finder on end of push rod,you should be able to move it using the lever

Hello Anthony,

Thanks for your reply.

yes, I’ve checked that the clutch lever moves without the clutch fitted, and the push rod therefore moves,  that’s what is so perplexing!

Cheers

Andy

Andrew

It will be the lever in the gearbox needs to be positioned correctly.

It can drop down and lock giving the symptoms you are describing keep trying you will sort it. I believe the position is shown in the workshop manual.

Hello John,

Thanks for that, I had assumed that because the clutch lever push rod was moving that the lever in the gearbox was in the correct position. I’ll have a look and report back!

kind regards

Andy

A picture tells a thousand words, get your lever into this position, slack off the clutch adjusting nut to be able to get the lever aligned correctly.Picture of lever position

Well, of course it was the lever that had slipped down out of position, now sorted! As I said, I was fooled by the fact that even in that position it was moving the clutch operating rod, but obviously not enough and without any force.

Many thanks to Anthony and John for your advice.

Cheers

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans