Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 sump plug

Forums

my long term commando rebuild (10 rears!) is coming to an end and I've managed to loose the sump plug. I've ordered a new one but it does not fit.its the right size but a different thread.Does anybody now if there are different sump plugs available for the commando?

sump plug on my 71 is, I believe, 3/8 16 tpi whitworth. There are much larger diameter ones that have the filter in them on some machines. I have seen plugs on that well known auction site that have a 3/8 bsf thread and mention commando. These of course would be 20 tpi and wouldn't fit. Maybe you have one of those.

My recollection for norton heavy twin is 1949 to about 1952 are 3/8 BSF toward the rear of the engine/sump.

1953-1971 had the screened sump filter only. it went from brass to steel and the hex size went from British to later imperial hex.

72-73 200000+(combat breather) 750 was front 3/8 UNC.

All 850 had both front drain 3/8 unc and on the rear they went back to the original style screen filter.

I own all these variants of NHT engine within 30 feet of where I now sit. Yours may be different but I would be surprised.

On a commando isn't the gearbox drain 3/8 BSF?

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans