Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 crank turn

Forums

Hi , I’ve removed the head on my 750 , while it’s off I imagined I should be able to turn the crank with a socket on the engine sprocket shaft and check bores , when I turn it locks at top of stroke ? when I turn back it locks when pistons have gone down , never done this work before am I missing something , I thought I would turn crank and the pistons would freely move up and down . Appreciate any advice,

Allan

With the head off, the only resistance to rotating the crank will be the piston rings. Typically the greatest resistance is when the piston are halfway up (or down) the bore 'cos crank rotation here results in the greatest piston movement. At TDC and BDC you can usually rock the crank back and to very easily.

If your engine doesn't feel like this you should probably lift the barrel.

Was it running before you took the head off ?

If so, theres no reason why it should lock up. Can you turn it over with the kick start ?

Is the primary drive still fitted ? Could something in there be jamming ?

I've had a Stellite foot fall off a follower and wedge a camshaft.

Flywheel bolt getting passionate with a conrod?

Something like a chunk of piston ring in a main bearing, across the drive pinion gears inside the oil pump or a timing chain problem.

An issue with the camfollower guide plate

Ok, now spotted the culprit , I put the 3 inner chain case bolts finger tight into the crankcase holes just so I didn’t loose  them !

the crank was touching one on its way round , No damage done as I obviously wasn’t trying to force anything,  The reason I took head off is to investigate a oily left exhaust port , would this be the valve guide ?

Thanks for you replies 

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans