Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 Commando buying advice

Forums

hi,

Im going to have a look at a 1970 750 Commando very soon and I'd very much appreciate any pointers on what to look out for.

The bike is claimed to be in quite good condition and to have matching numbers. Could somebody let me know the range of serial numbers it should be within.

Many thanks for any help.

Cheers Paul

Paul,

About 135140 to 141716, but you can go a little either side.

If it is well pre 135140 then it could be a 69 model registered late. That the case, ensure it has had the frame bracing mod under the spine to the headstock.

There were at least a handful of colours available for 1970, if originality is what you are looking for.

For me, I would take a sample of oil in the tank. It will tell you most of what you need to know.

Good luck.

Previously Neil Wyatt wrote:

Paul,

About 135140 to 141716, but you can go a little either side.

If it is well pre 135140 then it could be a 69 model registered late. That the case, ensure it has had the frame bracing mod under the spine to the headstock.

There were at least a handful of colours available for 1970, if originality is what you are looking for.

For me, I would take a sample of oil in the tank. It will tell you most of what you need to know.

Good luck.

Previously paul_mccarty wrote:

Thanks very much for the info. I've seen the bike and subject to a test ride it's a thumbs up.

cheers Paul

You won't regret It I have had a few ISSUES but once in the Saddle It all disappears .

Pay close attention to the state of the rear chain and sprockets and also the isolastic mountings. I recently saw a Commando that had been sold for over £6000 and these two components needed renewing. The bike had been viewed on behalf of the buyer by a NOC member who had given it a thumbs up, It wasn't running too well either. Disappointing really.

I think it's my machine that Dave refers to in the post above and I would second his advice about having a good look at the isolastics and the chain and sprockets and factor into any offer the cost of replacing these if necessary.

As Dave mentions, an NOC member did look at the bike on my behalf before I bought it but, in fact, gave me a very accurate and critical assessment of its condition which I then ignored and went ahead and bought it anyway!

You may well have bought a machine already but, if not, my advice would be to ask an NOC member to view the bike alongside you. If your heart is set on something you can all too easily find yourself blind to even obvious faults.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans