Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

750 clutch issues!

Forums

Twice now, the clutch fixing nut has spun off rendering the clutch useless. The tab washer wing opens up allowing the nut to turn. Last time I reassembled the clutch and torqued up the nut and bent over the tab but it has happened again after only 100 miles or so. Any ideas why this would happen?

The nut needs to be torqued to 70 lbft as per the manual, new gearbox mainshaft circlip fitted. Many owners recommend 40lbft, this might work if you ride slowly. Make sure there is no play between clutch hub and mainshaft splines, renew if play exists. Also check condition of nut and mainshaft threads for play,

Simon.

Previously simon_ratcliff wrote:

The nut needs to be torqued to 70 lbft as per the manual, new gearbox mainshaft circlip fitted. Many owners recommend 40lbft, this might work if you ride slowly. Make sure there is no play between clutch hub and mainshaft splines, renew if play exists. Also check condition of nut and mainshaft threads for play,

Simon.

Thanks Simon. I used a 70lbft setting. There doesn't appear to be any play anywhere. Will continue checking through the entire system. Thanks again.

Alright Andrew,

strange you're having a problem. Before I purchased the appropriate torque wrench 50 lbft was the max. I tightened the nut to and it came loose regularly, especially after long, high speed motorway riding.

Have you installed a suitable plain washer aswell as the tab washer? To be honest I don't think the tab washer does that much in keeping the nut tight. Didn't mention I also apply a strong, thread locking sealant. One other thing worth checking is primary chain alignment. Out of alignment could be creating a high frequency vibration that is loosening the nut,

Simon.

Previously simon_ratcliff wrote:

Alright Andrew,

strange you're having a problem. Before I purchased the appropriate torque wrench 50 lbft was the max. I tightened the nut to and it came loose regularly, especially after long, high speed motorway riding.

Have you installed a suitable plain washer aswell as the tab washer? To be honest I don't think the tab washer does that much in keeping the nut tight. Didn't mention I also apply a strong, thread locking sealant. One other thing worth checking is primary chain alignment. Out of alignment could be creating a high frequency vibration that is loosening the nut,

Simon.

Thanks again. I agree about the tab washer not doing much. I haven't used loctite but will now. And no, there isn't another washer. I'll try this also a well as checking alignment.

Andy

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans