Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

600/650 piston rings

Forums

Hello All after two days of looking on the inter-web for Norton STD 68mm piston rings BHB or Hepolite Type Original items, And I found nothing At all on there So It looks like that Pistons and rings are getting thin on the ground , and I Do not mean the after Market ones like JP or GMP , these are there if you need a re-bore, where you can machine the bore to fit the piston, and in some cases machine the piston as well as the ring do not fit into the groves, But if you do Not need to re-bore then you need the original piston rings, After market Piston Rings Do Not Fit the original pistons like BHB or Hepolite as the radius's are different,Has I found out too my cost, And if you fit them it will only end up seizing the engine up, And then you have to have a re-bore and new Pistons and rings , sound expensive to me, But I have been save By Dale Middelhurst The Club Norton Heavy Twin Expert, Thanks Dale You are A Star, All I need Now is some Plus 10 over size one for my spare set of BHB pistons I bought From the Club spares scheme , So if any of you guys are reading this the Club Spares Needs Some Good 68mm Piston Rings Like the Original Items IE BHB or Hepolite ones, when it come to my engine I like parts that there where made in England , Not Any were else in the world, yours AJD

Hi Anna.

I too have .010 oversize BHB pistons from the club and obtained rings from F.W. Thornton, Shrewsbury, I think you put me on to them, my contact was a guy called Richard who was very helpful.

They could only supply plus .020" and I regaped them to fit. they assured me that is was ok and they are ok for BHB pistons.

Have you obtained gudgeon pins for them? if so could you advise on this?

Best regards.

Steve Coleman

Previously wrote:

Hi Anna.

I too have .010 oversize BHB pistons from the club and obtained rings from F.W. Thornton, Shrewsbury, I think you put me on to them, my contact was a guy called Richard who was very helpful.

They could only supply plus .020" and I regaped them to fit. they assured me that is was ok and they are ok for BHB pistons.

Best regards.

Steve Coleman

Hello Steve Did It work out OK , and Witch Rings Did You Get, Yours Anna J

Hello Anna. The rings I received appear to be GMP which I know you,re not keen on. I have not used them yet, but in light of your comments I have checked thier fit in the BHB pistons thoroughly.

There is no radius on the inside of the rings or withine the piston grooves and the rings appear to fit ok. There is a small chamfer on the top outer edge of the scraper ring that perhaps differs from hepolite.

The radial clearance is ok and the side clearance is .004" which may seem a tad high, but the old Bracebridge Steet maintenance manual (publication P94) states .004" as correct.

I believe it is ok to regap to fit a + .020"ring for a +.010" piston and bore.

I would very much wecome yours or anyones comments on this as I certainly do not want to risk a seizure.

Have you sourced pins for these pistons?

Best regards.

Steve Coleman

Previously wrote:

Hello Anna. The rings I received appear to be GMP which I know you,re not keen on. I have not used them yet, but in light of your comments I have checked thier fit in the BHB pistons thoroughly.

There is no radius on the inside of the rings or withine the piston grooves and the rings appear to fit ok. There is a small chamfer on the top outer edge of the scraper ring that perhaps differs from hepolite.

The radial clearance is ok and the side clearance is .004" which may seem a tad high, but the old Bracebridge Steet maintenance manual (publication P94) states .004" as correct.

I believe it is ok to regap to fit a + .020"ring for a +.010" piston and bore.

I would very much wecome yours or anyones comments on this as I certainly do not want to risk a seizure.

Have you sourced pins for these pistons?

Best regards.

Steve Coleman

Hello Steve well Dale Middelhust Said to me that GMP Piston Ring do not fit correctly so ring Dale and see what he says Yours Anna J

Previously wrote:

Hi Anna.

Best regards.

Steve Coleman

Hi Steve, My 99 runs plus 10 650 pistons with rings from Bratby and the orriginal 99 pins, I did have to polish up the pins well as they seemed a bit tight and the ring gaps were all over the place ,but with carefull work and running in all has been ok, I have heard of useing plus 20 rings in a plus 10 bore with no problems ,not tried it myself.

Hi Robert. Do you have a contact number for Bratby? Were these Hepolite rings? I have spoken to Dale and he says the problem with GMP rings in BHB or Hepolite pistons is the wrong radial clearance (back of ring to piston)

Many thanks for your reply.

Steve.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans