Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1975 MK3 Commando dual seat problem

Forums

Hi again everyone I hope you have all had a good xmas and have and a happy new year, I have what is almost definitely a repro seat which fits surprisingly well and looks as it should, but it does not have a fitting hole threaded or otherwise for the cable that stops the seat moving to far over on the hinge and as I have never had one on it I have no idea of the proper positioning of it, would someone please be kind enough to post a pic of the seat open showing cable fitting locations at both ends so I can devise a way to implement mine many thanks Chris

Hi Christopher. I’m not a Commando rider/owner so don’t know the exact configuration or position of the seat restraint, but I had a similar conundrum with my ‘68 Bonneville. I simply purchased the standard Bonneville seat check cable from TMS in Nottingham (at least I think it was from there) and then held it up against the frame and seat (with the seat opened by the desired amount) to work out suitable fixing points. I attached the cable to the seat base with a pop river and washer. It’s been on there like that for 5 years with no problems. Maybe you could use the same seat cable for your bike - unless of course you are looking for 100% originality.

Hope that helps

Regards

Tony

A threaded hole sounds incredibly sophisticated. I'm pretty sure Wolverhampton used a self-tapper. I have a couple of original bases. I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Richard, the parts catalogue lists a screw that the A-N listing shows as self-tapper, do your memory seems accurate!!

Self tapper with a washer into seat base, hex screw and nut with washer as per AN parts page through shock/lock mounting. 

I think this is an original interstate seat base as it has a dog leg in the hinge mounting plate to clear the screw heads which the pattern ones don`t seem to have.

seat base

shock/lock mounting

seat hinge

Regards, Al.

Thanks everyone for your answers which appear to be 100% correct I must have been having a senior moment as a self tapper did not occur to me, anyway while looking at this area I was quite disgusted with the appearance of my frame tubes so decided to tidy it up around the seat area and air filter area so after a lot of rubbing down and masking I set about making it all look tidy with a halfords rattle can and I used Halfords gloss black and a better match would be very hard to find there is no code it is just there own brand gloss black spray paint over grey primer so if that helps anyone there it is anyway happy new year Chris

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans