Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 Commando quick build lessons?

Forums

Hi

Well I thought when I saw this bike I thought it would be a quick restoration and get me back on a Norton quick, that was a big mistake, and I should have known better!

Issues, no points/points plate, carbies worn out totally, alternator burnt out, no compression, wiring a total mess.

Fitted TriSpark ignition how easy was that?

Adjusted valve clearance and got reasonable compression, at least enough for it to run.

Fitted 200W 3 phase alternator and regulator, rewired to suit, fitted blinkers in the process, as they were an option in 1972.

Fitted new 32mm Premium Amals (RGM), cam is a Combat cam and the carbies fitted were 32mm.

Right ready to start, no problem started first kick, but no oil pressure.

Removed timing cover, no seal on oil pump to timing cover, no oil seal to ignition. Fitted new seals,restarted and oil pressure, OK 55 PSI cold and 20 PSI hot at idle.

Next problem smoking heavily out RH exhaust, oil spilling out the front of head about 3 fins down, check and find 2 missing head nuts and the rest loose.

Fit nuts off my other project (650ss), and tighten the rest, start again and oil still poring out, found that new gaskets were fitted on the rocker shafts, but old gaskets/half gaskets still thereas well, removed old gaskets and restarted no oil but lots of smoke.

Removed head and found 1 good bore and one damaged, also rh piston in back the front, lifted the barrel looked like gudgeon pin had moved at some stage and found barrel nuts all loose, also found only 2 rings on rh side and the piston + 0.020 oversize but lh side +0.010 oversize and barrel damaged too much, skirt missing lh side.

I found a second hand barrel +0.060" and had it bored to +0.080", someone had bored it oversize for the +0.060 pistons. Pistons fitted are EMGO (JCC), hope it works?

I have fitted new valve guides and valves as well as welding2 new fins on the head this weekend.Also fitted new cam followers as the old ones looked like they had been in a shipwreck, (RGM/Andover).

There have been a few other issues but I can only assume that some one has started on a restoration and got sick of it and just stuck it back together to sell it. I am the 3rd owner in its current state the other 2 didn't do anything with it maybe they had a better look than I did?

Other things I have done is rebuild the front end, new staunchions, seals bushes, rebuilt the brakes RGM master cylinder kit, new rear mudguard, painted the frame,tank and seat, exhaust system looks new, new brake pedal, new number plate.

The head is off to get the valve seats recut, and hopefully I will be able to refit it next weekend and fire it up again.

Regards

Mark

I hope that you didn't pay too much for it ! As you have got this far it's worth persevering as it will be good to ride once you have it sorted. Also the price is going up all the time for a good well sortedone so it will be a good investment.

JMac

I've never heard of a rebore of +0.080" things will be getting pretty thin around the bottom of the barrels.

Hi John and David

Paid $6500 AUSfor it, it does has some new parts with it.

The wall thickness is just OK at the bottom of the barrel any more though and it would not be.

Got the head back and assembled ready to fit and remenmbered I hand not checked the head gasket clearenceto the pistons, not good, have ordered a copper gasket which I will more thatn likely have to enlarge to suit.

The swing arm has been rebushed and new end plates and orings fitted these were missing also.

Also ordered new rims and spokes after that it should be close.

Another area I haven't touched is the iso mounts and shimming of same.

Best Regards

Mark

G'day Mark,

Get a set of vernier Mk3 iso's with new elastomer, otherwise you may be sorry!

Fit, set, forget, you may wish to upgrade the head steady while you are at it.

Good luck. How's the 650 doing?

Rgds Steve

hi Steve

Take your advice on the vernier adjustment and head steady not sure how she who must be obeyed will handle more money going out though. Spent another $600 on rims and spokes this weekend.

The 650SS is on hold as it will be my pride and joy that will recieve my greatest attention.. Have all the hard to get parts such as headlight, speedo, tacho and have most of the engine parts. Now need to get the crank reground,resleeve the barrels and strip the head fit new valves etc.

The mudguards are original so I will repair themand get them rechromed. The mudguard stays are missing so will have to buy replica ones.

The Commando should have been the quick build so I would have a Norton toride at the annual Easter rally at Bathurst.

Should all come together still as I have found RGM great for parts, order Sunday have them delivered on Friday from the other side of the world.

Best Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

Good luck with the "Rebirth" Commando; Mick Hemmings is also a good "Speedy" source. as are Andover Norton direct. Re- 650 SS mudguard stays I too am short of two front ones but have the rest. If you need sketches at some stage let me know, but be paitent got a full work & study load until July!

Rgds Steve

Hi

Commando is now ready for Bathurst rally starting this Sunday.

Fitted the veriner mounts and boy were the old rubbers shot!

Test run last Sunday went sort of OK, troubles encountered were, the left mirror come loose, carbies out of balance, brakes no good.

Tightened the mirror, adjusted slides, readjusted the resleeved master cylinder, result can now see out of themirror front still needs some bedding in, roll ons and off it pulls like a train, and brakes work, and it rained so now have to clean it again!

All the best

Mark

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans