Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1972 Commando

Forums

Hi

I have recenty bought a 1972 Commando, which was originally an Interstate but when I got it has been turned into Fastback.

Iam fitting indicators to the bike the one I have brought have 2 problems 1 front blinkers, the thread is too short (1") long to screw into the headlightand 2 where do you mount the rear blinkers?

The headlight spacers look the correct lenght but the thread only screws into the nuts about 1 1/2 turns.

the spacer plate, bolts and small spacers for the rear mudguard lower mount is missing and looking at the parts list it looks like it mounts either on to the horn mount or onto the horn it's self which doesn't look right?

I am thinking that they mount to the rear number plate and that they need to be mounted up high. I have made 2 brackets to do this but would like them somewhere near original.

Any help appreciated

Best Regards

Mark

Original Commando indicators were Lucas and there were various different versions depending on year and model - both long and short stalks plus different lengths of the threaded part. A very good place to look for these are autojumbles like Kempton , etc - depending on your location - where a good selection of Lucas pattern indicators are always on offer.

Hi Mark. I have a 72 commando. that i can poss send some pics if thats any help. i also have an original parts book that does show varying parts fitted ie;like different types of seat, head lamps, panelsect.but to be honest it only shows one type of indicator, i can list the part numbers for youif required. Alternativly if your close to Essex you are welcolme to have look.

Mark

The Fastback wasn't listed after 1972 and for that year, indicators had been an optional extra. I'm fairly certain that I've seen Fastback rear number plates with the indicator bracket fitted. A similar style to the other models, simply a length of folded plate with a hole at each end welded to to the inside of the number plate.

If you make your own, it will allow you to get the indicators as close in as you like.

I think my Fastback's near original. Yes the rear indicators are attached to the number platewith a bracket thats welded on, and you need the long stem indicators to give them the reach. However I'm not sure this can be recommeded because I've broken two of those brackets because the indicator pair get into a big resonance with the engine vibrations.Being on the long stem doen't help. There is possibly a better way...perhaps a wider bracket with short stems.

The Fastback may not have been listed after 1972 but there are a good many, on the NOC database, shown as new bike registrations for several years after that date. Far more than people realize.

These include bikes with frame numbers before 150*** which generally makes them pre-72 productions and also quite a few after 200*** which is early 1972.

There were examples of new Fastback Nortons, with drum front brakes, for sale at both Portsmouth and Southampton dealers right up until 1974. I believe that one was still for sale at Burnetts Motorcycles, in Southsea, until 1980.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans