Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1971 Fastback Petrol Tank

Forums

Hello All.

I recently bought a Commando Fastback 750, 1971 on eBay. It's in 'barn find' condition, but quite sound and turns over with good compression. I can't see any reason why it won't run, given some careful preparation before I try.

The main worry is the fuel tank, which has had stale fuel in it for some time, so I guess it'll either hold petrol successfully or not! To combat ethanol, I've bought a resin liner from C. Wylde of Leeds. Any thoughts on that? Also, the gel coat colour appears to be Canary Yellow. Does anyone know if was available as a special order, as I can't find that colour in any of the brochures. Many thanks.

Hello again,

Just a line to say that I'm really not so worried about the colour question in my post, but has nobody had a go at making a fibreglass Fastback tank ethanol proof? Any personal experiences with this problem would much appreciated. Of course, it may be that the tank will be fine with modern fuel, but my understanding is that this is a problem. Many thanks..

Hi,

Just on the colour question a member of our local NOC has an original canary yellow fastback even though theydon't appear to have been listed.

Previously Alaster Bentley wrote:

Hello again,

Just a line to say that I'm really not so worried about the colour question in my post, but has nobody had a go at making a fibreglass Fastback tank ethanol proof? Any personal experiences with this problem would much appreciated. Of course, it may be that the tank will be fine with modern fuel, but my understanding is that this is a problem. Many thanks..

Hi I used Caswell to treat my fibreglass tank 3 or 4 years ago and have had no problems with it.

Regards Alan

Previously Alan Blackhurst wrote:

Previously Alaster Bentley wrote:

Hello again,

Hi I used Caswell to treat my fibreglass tank 3 or 4 years ago and have had no problems with it.

Regards Alan

Dear Alan and Graham,

This information is just what I was looking for. Colour and and success with a sealant, so thanks for that.

Regards, Alaster.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans