Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1971 Dunstall 810 - help needed

Forums

Hi

I am restoring my Dunstall Norton and need advice on the following:

• What is the finish on the finned exhaustcollars - cad, chrome or?
  • Where can I source engine internal parts such as pistons, rings, head and base gaskets etc?
  • If a rebore is needed can 850 Norton pistons be used for example?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Brent

Attachments dunstall-ready-lh-042913-jpg

If the bike shown is its current state ,I would say that it has been stored in ideal conditions . Unless you are very competant ,the last thing you should do is " restore" it.An oil change with some oil poured into the exhaust rocker area ,A minor clear through the carbs ,a peek into the bores to check for rust where the rings have sat,new tyres ,brake check and battery and away you go. I can't imagine it has done enough miles to need engine work.I would get the exhaust nuts satin chromed as that is the finish used on proper Nortons ,No idea what the AMC erks did.

Thanks for that reply Robert.

The bike looks better in the photo than it is. Only 4,700 miles on the speedo but probably had a hard life as the engine and gearbox have been apar and all the nuts rounded off in the process. It was crashed lightly when nearly new and repainted inexpertly in red - it was blue from the factory. The original Dunstall stickers have been painted over.

So the engine is tired but running and cosmeticallythe bikeis far from original and pristine hence I have made the decision to upgrade it and maybe repaint it in the original blue. I have coated the tank internals prior to filling it.

Do you have any leads on the parts I need?

Brent

Hi Brent, Sadly I can't help much, I did have an Atlas which came with many Dunstall parts and I was riding and visited Dunstall shop "in the day", I have heard that the 810 conversion was not always better than standard,but can't remember why.From what you say about the state of the fastenings perhaps a close look would be prudent. I do remember that a proper Dunstall Atlas was an awsum beast ,easily the most desirable macho machine of that time. I watched the actual machine Tested by British Magazines to over 130 mph perform at Johnstons A20 ton up cafe , I was totally gobsmacked!.

Have a look at this site. I can't make it work but may just be my rubbish PC. It used to work ok but Java won't function. John Woodgate was/is a well known NOC member and may have been on the committee once.http://www.woodgate.org/dunstall/index.html

On the parts front the pistons are 76mm, 850 are 77mm and unfortunately the liners are too thin to bore out. Base gaskets are 750, head are probably copper in special size. RGM used to have a few parts but you would need to contact them. Put this request up on http://www.accessnorton.com/norton-commando-f1.html. There are a few owners on there with Dunstalls or 810 parts.

Thanks K. I will try them although that Dunstall website is no longer operational. I think the last movement on it was around 2000.

Brent

Previously K Glassborow wrote:

Have a look at this site. I can't make it work but may just be my rubbish PC. It used to work ok but Java won't function. John Woodgate was/is a well known NOC member and may have been on the committee once.http://www.woodgate.org/dunstall/index.html

On the parts front the pistons are 76mm, 850 are 77mm and unfortunately the liners are too thin to bore out. Base gaskets are 750, head are probably copper in special size. RGM used to have a few parts but you would need to contact them. Put this request up on http://www.accessnorton.com/norton-commando-f1.html. There are a few owners on there with Dunstalls or 810 parts.

Brent,

Yes its not easy to get in but if you googlewww.woodgate.org.dunstall you'll find all the pages which are still readable ok. Its worth a go although the info is oldish. Best of luck.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans