Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1959 Dommie fuel

Forums

Will my 1959 600cc Dominator 99 run on modern unleaded petrol?,or should I use a petrol additive?, if so what should I use? any help would beappreciated.

Thanks.

Oooh...another fuel thread...

Without wishing to be drawn into controversy, I shall simply state what I use in my Nortons...Super Unleaded 98 as it is reputed to have a lower ethanol content and Miller's VSP as I've had problems with water build up in the carbs and this also provides valve stem lubrication.

Based on the reports that I've read, it certainly can't hurt.

Previously richard_payne wrote:

Oooh...another fuel thread...

Without wishing to be drawn into controversy, I shall simply state what I use in my Nortons...Super Unleaded 98 as it is reputed to have a lower ethanol content and Miller's VSP as I've had problems with water build up in the carbs and this also provides valve stem lubrication.

Based on the reports that I've read, it certainly can't hurt.

Thanks Richard, I am not road ready yet but I will take this on board for the Spring (says he hopefully).

If you are worried about valve seat recession, don't. Dominator alloy heads have valve seat inserts which are hard enough to cope with unleaded fuel. Always use the expensive petrol, ideally BP Ultimate if it's available near you. Enjoy the bike, they are a great way to get around. My somewhat upgraded one does everything I want. I even sold the Honda some years ago as I had just stopped using it.

Agreed Gordon, BP Ultimate if you are not in South West England. Currently, there is zero Ethanol in this. Good idea to fill a petrol container before the election, just in case we get a Green leaning government!

If you only have one or two old bikes, it is far easier and less wallet busting to change components to ethanol proof than if you have a garage full. Hence I make a bit of noise about this unwanted solvent.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans