Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 dommie breathing through the dynamo

Forums

Just started my test runs on a rebuilt dommie, i had an issue with oil coming through the dynamo, upon inspection and replacing the seal i am not sure i have cured it, i am realy asking if the seal garter spring should be visable looking at the drive end behind the drive cog or have i fitted it the wrong way around.i have followed the threads about crankcase breathing but did not modify my crankcases so i had the timed breather exiting the rear of the bike. i have now modified this to asmall catch tank with top breather that should be clear , added the cylinder head breather and still got the oil tank breather, no tower of fittings on the 1954 oiltank to take the engine breather to.

other basic mistakes , got excited and did40 miles instead of 5 or 10 so shed my nuts aliong the highway before i got back and tightened everything up. spent happy hours sitting the bike on avon road riders by modifying the front mudguard bridge /stays , these low profile tyres have certainly lowered the bikebut now its heavy onto the stand, and goes lovely on righthanders but grounds the side stand on lefts, and does not "fill "the mudguard to tyre to the eye as the old avon sm, you live and learn.thanks in anticipation arthur.

thank you Skip i will have another go and perhaps change the bearing retaining ring it runs on as well this time though there were no wear marks.thanks again arthur

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans