Skip to main content
English French German Italian Spanish

1954 Dominator rear brake plate torque arm

Forums

hello i wonder if anyone knows the correct length of the rear brake arm for a 1954 dominator, the one on my bike is 8.5 inch hole centres and did not look correct when i fitted it ,it throws the brake pivot arm directly in line with the rear wheel adjusters on the forkedend of the swinging arm,another possible is i have the wrong brake plate? does the brake leverarm/cam point go above the swinging arm or below as you look eye level to the swinging arm, i have a downward pointing brakearm.thanks in anticipation Arthur.

Hi Arthur, By coincidence, I am currently overhauling the brakes, on my own '54 Dominator. By brake arm, I assume you mean the anchor, between the frame and brake plate, 8.5 " between centres is correct.

Looking from the side, the brake lever should be downwards, and below the swinging arm, and axle centre. Check that there is no play in the connection between the brake can shaft and lever. The slot in the brake lever can become worn, making it almost impossible to adjust the brakes correctly (Norvil stock brake cams, bushes, and levers).

Previously John Shorter wrote:

Hi Arthur, By coincidence, I am currently overhauling the brakes, on my own '54 Dominator. By brake arm, I assume you mean the anchor, between the frame and brake plate, 8.5 " between centres is correct.

Looking from the side, the brake lever should be downwards, and below the swinging arm, and axle centre. Check that there is no play in the connection between the brake can shaft and lever. The slot in the brake lever can become worn, making it almost impossible to adjust the brakes correctly (Norvil stock brake cams, bushes, and levers).

Hello John My 54 has up ward looking brake arm and I have a downward looking brake arm has well I have tryed both of them and the up ward looking brake arm has the best pull out of the two . so what dose thay say !! yours Anna J

Possibly there maybe a slight difference, between an upward or downward lever, however the original was downward. Are your levers the same length? A longer lever would put more pressure on the shoes, but more travel, or a modified brake pedal would be required. Since a serviceable brake can lock the back wheel, why fix what ain't broke!

Hello firstly sorry for the delayed reply i was called away, thank you John for the info, i may have an incorrect brake plate though i have dug around in the workshop and the only other i have is exactly the same, or perhaps the lug on the swinging arm has been moved rearwards in years gone by as the brake arm pivot point is in line with the rear wheel adjusterin the centre of the fork arm, i fitted new chains and when i take upadjustment i know the drum will move rearwards asthe adjuster thread moves out but it is close, the two pressed tin ovals in the brake plate line up just a mm or two below the swinging arm forkfinger centre line. i am re-typing as i tried to add a picture but it is too large an attachment so sorry if this message appears twice.passed mot ok earlier this year and does work i will check some more bikes out as i am out and about this summer.thanks again Arthur

Hi Arthur, no apology needed. This may sound silly, but, are you sure the brake lever is fitted the right way round? A design flaw makes it possible to fit front, and rear, levers in two positions. The pivot centre, in line with the axle is correct. I don't know how much experience you have of the Dominator, or your mechanical ability, so, do not want to "dumb down" down my reply. If you want to contact me directly, you will find my email address on my profile.

Norton Owners Club Website by 2Toucans