Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Light Twins / Kickstart spring

Kickstart spring

Up to Light Twins

Kickstart spring

Posted by John Pullen-Appleby at August 07. 2018

Hello All,

I have found the awful noise but now have to tension the kickstart spring.  Am  I right to think that the inner gear housing has to come off to do this?

 

Also--I bought a kickstart at the kemptom jumble some time ago with some splines left.  It my to a Matchless lightweight one which I now hear are not the same.  It slipped the other day (I was just turning the engine over)  I had not tightened it up properly but it does not bode well.

 

Cheers

JPA

Re: Kickstart spring

Posted by Dan Field at August 08. 2018

I've just looked at my manual and have copied the section below. I think you only need to remove the outer cover.  It doesn't separate the early from late gearbox so assume they are the same?

 

 

Re: Kickstart spring

Posted by John Pullen-Appleby at August 08. 2018

Previously Dan Field wrote:

I've just looked at my manual and have copied the section below. I think you only need to remove the outer cover.  It doesn't separate the early from late gearbox so assume they are the same?

 

 

Hello Dan,

Thanks for that--I suspect this may be the new one---mine has no anchor stud or slot but holes in the k/start shaft and the cover.

Re: Kickstart spring

Posted by patrick_mullen at August 08. 2018

John,

I last fitted a kickstart spring at least ten years ago so memory might be wrong but I am 99.99% certain that it is NOT necessary to remove the inner cover.  The Maintenance Manual for the early box says ' Fit kickstart return spring to shaft and pull hooked end round to engage hole in casting. '  It says this in the section on re-assembly and it comes after the inner plate was fitted - I hope that makes sense.

BUT there have been so many odd things that you have found with your engine/box !!.

Patrick

I have just re-read the Manual.  It does say to fit the 'kickstart axle with the crosshole for the return spring also pointing upwards '.  This should be done before fitting that inner plate.

But hopefully as you had a spring fitted this might be in the right place.

Re: Kickstart spring

Posted by John Pullen-Appleby at August 09. 2018

Previously patrick_mullen wrote:

John,

I last fitted a kickstart spring at least ten years ago so memory might be wrong but I am 99.99% certain that it is NOT necessary to remove the inner cover.  The Maintenance Manual for the early box says ' Fit kickstart return spring to shaft and pull hooked end round to engage hole in casting. '  It says this in the section on re-assembly and it comes after the inner plate was fitted - I hope that makes sense.

BUT there have been so many odd things that you have found with your engine/box !!.

Patrick

I have just re-read the Manual.  It does say to fit the 'kickstart axle with the crosshole for the return spring also pointing upwards '.  This should be done before fitting that inner plate.

But hopefully as you had a spring fitted this might be in the right place.

Hello Patrick,

Sadly not I fear.  I was following the 'Descartes' instructions as far as I remember which seems to advise loading up the ratchet and then fitting the inner end cover.    My hole is only at the top when the kickstart is at the fully down position--when it is at its fully up postition (where the ratchet should hold it--it is 90 degrees or so out.

 

Also the spring is bent (the end that goes in the hole is at a near 45 degree angle which I suspect is something to do with it escaping --Ironically--I think the gearbox is OK at the moment (or no worse that when I assembled it)--I have not heard back fully from Andy yet but suspect I'll need a another new spring.

 

JPA

Re: Kickstart spring

Posted by david_payne1 at August 09. 2018

Hello John,

I have just read about your problem with the gearbox and wondered if this info I received from the club is of any help - see attached.

Dave

Attachments

Re: Kickstart spring

Posted by John Pullen-Appleby at August 10. 2018

Previously david_payne1 wrote:

Hello John,

I have just read about your problem with the gearbox and wondered if this info I received from the club is of any help - see attached.

Dave

Thanks David--this is what I did as far as I can tell--it seems to come form the 'Descartes' piece

Powered by Ploneboard
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme