Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Singles / Rear wheel retaining nuts

Rear wheel retaining nuts

Up to Singles

Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by George Phillips at November 16. 2017

Having lost yet another sleeve nut from the rear wheel (fortunately now replaced) I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for tightening these fairly inaccessible nuts.

My method this time was to fit an open ended spanner over the nut pointing towards the rear of the bike, place a long bar or tyre lever under the spanner and at right angles to the line of the bike and heave upwards.

Anyone got a better idea?

 

Cheers

George

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by ian_goodhall at November 16. 2017

If you mean the cotton reel type hub, I have a 3/8" drive socket that with 2 long extensions on will pass through the holes in the hub and let me tighten them pretty dammed tight. Don't tell anyone but I use an 11mm socket too. I have also used a whitworth combination spanner with some success before I realised the socket would fit.

Ian

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by George Phillips at November 16. 2017

Cheers Ian. I tried something like that but the speedo drive partly blocks the holes opposite the nuts. George

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by jim_hill at November 17. 2017

Previously George Phillips wrote:

Cheers Ian. I tried something like that but the speedo drive partly blocks the holes opposite the nuts. George

Why don't you remove the rear wheel spindle then remove the speedo gearbox , replace the spindle without the speedo gearbox,use a socket and an extension to tighten the sleeve nuts a bit of loftier here won't hurt,then when happy remove spindle and re- assemble.I assume you have ensured that ensured that no paint or powdercoat material is between the mating surfaces to ensure metal to metal contact.sorry if there seems to a interruption in this text but it has been masked by the upcoming events panel,so I can't check the continuity of my text!!!!

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by jim_hill at November 17. 2017

Previously jim_hill wrote:

Previously George Phillips wrote:

Cheers Ian. I tried something like that but the speedo drive partly blocks the holes opposite the nuts. George

Why don't you remove the rear wheel spindle then remove the speedo gearbox , replace the spindle without the speedo gearbox,use a socket and an extension to tighten the sleeve nuts a bit of loftier here won't hurt,then when happy remove spindle and re- assemble.I assume you have ensured that ensured that no paint or powdercoat material is between the mating surfaces to ensure metal to metal contact.sorry if there seems to a interruption in this text but it has been masked by the upcoming events panel,so I can't check the continuity of my text!!!!

FOR LOFTIER READ LOCTITE ,!

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by jim_hill at November 17. 2017

Webmaster, please can you rectify the problem regarding the"upcoming events " panel masking the text field when replying to comments ! Jim hill

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by ian_soady at November 17. 2017

I've always thought the design was a weak point. On the cotton reel hubs, once the nuts get slightly loose then the countersinks they fit into wear and the nuts can never be tightened properly. On the Commando, if the nuts are a bit loose then the studs can move in the brake drum.

I know the answer is to check them regularly.......

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by David Cooper at November 17. 2017

I've been trying to understand this problem.  Was it an unforeseen consequence of a design change - that only affects a small number of years?  My 1937 bike has the four sleeve bolts on the right of the front hub, and the brake drum is on the left with the speedo drive emerging from it.  So any simple spanner will fit.

Either the WD manual or Franks's book suggests they be drilled and lock wired.

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by George Phillips at November 17. 2017

Hi Jim - ref the wheel removal. Yes I realise that's an option. I was trying to find a solution that didn't involve all that faffing about as I was on a time limit.I think come February when I plan major maintenance I'll do the wheel removal bit. Thanks for your input. George

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by philip_ham at November 20. 2017

George,

To make sure I don't lose the sleeve nuts I've drilled a small hole though the hexagon head and then inserted a small "R" after the nuts are done up.  The R clip will stop the nut unscrewing, and is quicker to take off than using tying wire.

I've noticed that there are two different tapers used on Norton sleeve nuts, the early ones, like on my 1955 ES2 are at a steeper angle than the later ones on the full width hub of my Mercury.  Make sure you're using the correct ones.

Phil.

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by George Phillips at November 21. 2017

Forgive my dumbness this morning Phil, but do you drill through both the retained bolt and the nut? I'm picturing how the "R" spring would stop the nut loosening.having trouble. Mine's '55 also so thanks for the info on the taper. I was unaware of that. George

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by philip_ham at November 21. 2017

Previously George Phillips wrote:

Forgive my dumbness this morning Phil, but do you drill through both the retained bolt and the nut? I'm picturing how the "R" spring would stop the nut loosening.having trouble. Mine's '55 also so thanks for the info on the taper. I was unaware of that. George


George,

Just drill through the hexagon head, then the little R pin pushes through and is long enough to stop the sleeve nut undoing.  If it undoes it'll be loose but you won't lose it.  Strangely, I've never lost any of my nuts or them coming loose, but my Dad who used to do trials with a 500T suggested that they should be wired on.  I'll try and take a photo for you tonight.

Phil.

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by jonathan_newton at November 21. 2017

Previously George Phillips wrote:

Forgive my dumbness this morning Phil, but do you drill through both the retained bolt and the nut? I'm picturing how the "R" spring would stop the nut loosening.having trouble. Mine's '55 also so thanks for the info on the taper. I was unaware of that. George

George I think the  head or tail  of the  "R"  clip hits the cotton reel and therefore will not rotate.  If you need any of the tube nuts let me know.  I have some spare.

Serrated washers might do the trick also...   ....  especially if you think the taper is  bottoming out before the flange is tight.

 

Cheers

Jon

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by George Phillips at November 21. 2017

Thanks Phil and Jon. That explains things although the pic will be good. I'll check tomorrow the length of R-pin I need to prevent rotation. Luckily they're al tight at the moment so I don't need any spares and would not wish to take them just for the sake of it. Very kind of you, Jon.

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by philip_ham at November 21. 2017

George,

I'll try and attach a photo of the sleeve nut and R pin.  The R pin is 35mm overall length.

Phil.

Attachments

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by George Phillips at November 22. 2017

Excellent Phil. Just how I'd finally come round to imagining the set up. I'll make sure mine are tight then put a dab of Tippex on the face that gives the least movement before the pin touches the hub the remove them and drill the holes. Many thanks for your most useful idea. George

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by anna jeannette Dixon at November 22. 2017

Previously George Phillips wrote:

Having lost yet another sleeve nut from the rear wheel (fortunately now replaced) I'm wondering if anyone has any bright ideas for tightening these fairly inaccessible nuts.

My method this time was to fit an open ended spanner over the nut pointing towards the rear of the bike, place a long bar or tyre lever under the spanner and at right angles to the line of the bike and heave upwards.

Anyone got a better idea?

 

Cheers

George

 

Hello try a 1/4 inch box spanner  that fit ok  fit a socket on the other end    yours  anna j

Re: Rear wheel retaining nuts

Posted by Barry Carson at November 22. 2017

i would also check to see if theres any paint or similar between the mating surfaces. the nuts will loosen off if there is

Powered by Ploneboard
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme