Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Nortons - General / Doherty Levers


This message board is a technical forum for Nortons in general. Club related and non-technical items should be put in News and Views and if posted here, will be deleted

Doherty Levers

Up to Nortons - General

Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at February 13. 2018

Hi,

Does, anyone know if  genuine Doherty levers can be identified by distinguishing marks or stampings?

 

 

Many thanks

 

 

John H

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by ian_soady at February 13. 2018

I suspect that the fakes will have them as well......

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at February 13. 2018

I bought some Lever S/H with no marks on them sold as genuine originals!

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by richard_payne at February 13. 2018

What era of levers are you talking about ? Norton used Doherty pre-war and it would seem that they must have asked for parts without maker's name.

As far as I'm aware, they can only be identified by the style or, in the case of the A/R and choke levers by the rather well made friction arrangements which are probably the subject of a registered design somewhere or other that I ought to look up.

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at Thursday 17:11

I suppose they are late 50s or 60s they are Ball ended, kind of like what I had on my 1970 BSA.

 

When did Ball-ended levers appear?

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at Thursday 17:25

Previously richard_payne wrote:

What era of levers are you talking about ? Norton used Doherty pre-war and it would seem that they must have asked for parts without maker's name.

As far as I'm aware, they can only be identified by the style or, in the case of the A/R and choke levers by the rather well made friction arrangements which are probably the subject of a registered design somewhere or other that I ought to look up.

These are the ones!

Attachments

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at Thursday 17:26

And also...

Attachments

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at Thursday 17:27

I  now need cable adjustment inserts!

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by steve_adkins at Thursday 18:29

Hi John,

Maybe these will assist?

https://www.venhill.co.uk/controls-amp-handlebars/cable-controls/venhill-levers/941-006.html

Otherwise, I have purchased some good quality levers from:

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Cables%20&%20Control%20Levers.pdf

WITH correct 7/8" centers and with or without adjusters as per needs.

Good luck.

Steve

 

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by ian_soady at Friday 10:30

I've used AMC spares (Steve Surbey) as well and agree excellent levers.

Villiers Spares (http://villiersservices.co.uk/ ) also do 7/8" pivot levers much cheaper although I haven't seen their product.

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at Friday 20:44

Previously steve_adkins wrote:

Hi John,

Maybe these will assist?

https://www.venhill.co.uk/controls-amp-handlebars/cable-controls/venhill-levers/941-006.html

Otherwise, I have purchased some good quality levers from:

http://www.amcclassicspares.com/Cables%20&%20Control%20Levers.pdf

WITH correct 7/8" centers and with or without adjusters as per needs.

Good luck.

Steve

Thanks will check this out!

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by john_hall1 at Friday 20:46

Previously ian_soady wrote:

I've used AMC spares (Steve Surbey) as well and agree excellent levers.

Villiers Spares (http://villiersservices.co.uk/ ) also do 7/8" pivot levers much cheaper although I haven't seen their product.

 

Cheers,  Ian will check this out too.

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by ian_soady at Saturday 10:27

If you buy the Villiers ones, let us know what they're like!

Re: Doherty Levers

Posted by anna jeannette Dixon at Saturday 17:29

Previously john_hall1 wrote:

Hi,

Does, anyone know if  genuine Doherty levers can be identified by distinguishing marks or stampings?

 

 

Many thanks

 

 

John H

Well AMAL levers Are the Original Levers and controls  for all motorcycles  I have the big AMAL MANUEL  with them all in,  and carburettors to all marks  from day one, every GP types 1 type 2 and type 3   and TT 10 and TT15  and type 27 twin bowl, and type 74/75/76//89 pre monobloc and monobloc  374 375 376 389, and concentric types  and carburettor tuning of all types    yours  anna j

Powered by Ploneboard

This message board is a technical forum for Nortons in general. Club related and non-technical items should be put in News and Views and if posted here, will be deleted

This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme