Navigation

You are here: Home / Messages / Electrical / Norvil 14" disc rattle

Norvil 14" disc rattle

Up to Electrical

Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Dave townsend at February 23. 2017

Has anyone had any ideas how to stop this annoying disc rattle,or replacing with another disc 5bolt hole ,done less than 4000 miles norvil should be ashamed of this very expensive upgrade

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Dave townsend at February 23. 2017

Previously Dave townsend wrote:

Has anyone had any ideas how to stop this annoying disc rattle,or replacing with another disc 5bolt hole ,done less than 4000 miles norvil should be ashamed of this very expensive upgrade

Sorry guys this thread was supposed to be in the commando section and I can't seam to move it

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Martin Freeman at February 23. 2017

Is this the disc that floats on a toothed Alloy centre, or one held with 'buttons' and are you using original caliper mounted further out or a different one? This rattle wouldn't be more of a clang when brake is applied?

I was given one of the floating cast ones on an alloy centre because of this issue as disc was too lose on carrier. My solution was rather brutal, As original disc did not float why should this one, fortunately carrier is thicker than disc and the alloy is malleable so an anvil and hammer made a permenant solution!

regards Martin

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by john_holmes at February 23. 2017

Access Norton has 3 threads on the Norvil disc rattle, you can buy new inserts  but the issue will come back. Only long term solution is to buy a replacement from another supplier.

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Fritz Wettstein at February 24. 2017

Previously Dave townsend wrote:

Has anyone had any ideas how to stop this annoying disc rattle,or replacing with another disc 5bolt hole ,done less than 4000 miles norvil should be ashamed of this very expensive upgrade

Norvil has a solution for this issue, part# 069578

Fritz

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Martyn Watson at February 25. 2017

The wavy washers should have been installed into the assembly as new, if the light aluminium carrier is worn in an unreasonably low mileage it really should be replaced by norvil as being unfit for purpose.

I have no experience of this norvil item but i had brembo discs on my race ducati that went rattly and i ignored it, they still braked fine. Eventually they got so bad that they rattled enough to knock the pads and pistons back into the calipers and when i went to grab the brake it was conspicuous by it's absence. Took a couple of pumps to make the pistons come out and grab the disc. Needless to say the pistons weren't the only things to get pumped out and my leathers had worse skid marks on the inside than on the outside.

My laboured point is; it's not just annoying, it could be potentially dangerous. Kick up a stink about it or you may end up with a stink in your trouser area. Or worse.

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Dave townsend at February 27. 2017

Previously Martin Freeman wrote:

Is this the disc that floats on a toothed Alloy centre, or one held with 'buttons' and are you using original caliper mounted further out or a different one? This rattle wouldn't be more of a clang when brake is applied?

I was given one of the floating cast ones on an alloy centre because of this issue as disc was too lose on carrier. My solution was rather brutal, As original disc did not float why should this one, fortunately carrier is thicker than disc and the alloy is malleable so an anvil and hammer made a permenant solution!

regards Martin

It's the button type with carrier and there is so much back lash that it sounds like the head race bearings are hanging out of it until you squeeze the brake ,very annoying

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Dave townsend at February 27. 2017

Previously Fritz Wettstein wrote:

Previously Dave townsend wrote:

Has anyone had any ideas how to stop this annoying disc rattle,or replacing with another disc 5bolt hole ,done less than 4000 miles norvil should be ashamed of this very expensive upgrade

Norvil has a solution for this issue, part# 069578

Fritz

If it's the wavy washer I've already tried them ,still have movement back and forth ,so the carrier I assume is worn or overbored

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Martin Freeman at February 27. 2017

Ok Dave,

You have the button type and have tried the wavy washers, is there enough sideways play to get one of these washers on each side of the disc or 2 on one side?

another thing you could try to minimise free play is remove each button and add a suitable o ring behind each wave washer so that you have to lightly compress to get circlip on.

It would seem rather extreme to have a set of oversize buttons made, however it might be worth enquiring about replacements for different makes in case a slightly larger one exists.

regards Martin

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Dave townsend at February 27. 2017

Previously john_holmes wrote:

Access Norton has 3 threads on the Norvil disc rattle, you can buy new inserts  but the issue will come back. Only long term solution is to buy a replacement from another supplier.

Thanks think I'm gonna try 320mm brembo disc and calliper from Ducati wheel I've just bought ,watch this space

Re: Norvil 14" disc rattle

Posted by Dave townsend at February 27. 2017

Previously Martin Freeman wrote:

Ok Dave,

You have the button type and have tried the wavy washers, is there enough sideways play to get one of these washers on each side of the disc or 2 on one side?

another thing you could try to minimise free play is remove each button and add a suitable o ring behind each wave washer so that you have to lightly compress to get circlip on.

It would seem rather extreme to have a set of oversize buttons made, however it might be worth enquiring about replacements for different makes in case a slightly larger one exists.

regards Martin

Thanks Martin ,my problem seems to be not side to side but front to back movement  that is giving me the horrendous noise if I could find oversized buttons and someone to machine them I would go with that ,but I think that the centre carrier is soft or the buttons are or both ,don't buy one of these discs they have no longevity

Powered by Ploneboard
Upcoming Events
Norfolk branch camping weekend May 12, 2017 - May 14, 2017 — Whitwell and Reepham railway station, Reepham, Norwich NR10 4GA 01603 871694
CRMC Track Parade - Mallory Park May 20, 2017 - May 21, 2017 — Mallory Park,Church Rd, Kirkby Mallory LE9 7QE
Surrey Branch at the Kempton Park Classic Motorcycle Show & Auto-jumble May 20, 2017 09:30 AM - 04:00 PM — Kempton Park, Staines Road East, Sunbury on Thames, Middlesex TW16 5AQ
Tay Valley Branch - lunch meeting May 21, 2017 11:00 AM - 04:00 PM — Ben Lawers Hotel,Loch Tay, Aberfeldy, Perthshire, PH15 2PA
Yorkshire Branch at the Sowerby Bridge Classic Bike & Scooter Show May 28, 2017 10:30 AM - 04:30 PM — The Wharf, Sowerby Bridge HX6 2AG
Upcoming events…
This is Brio Diazo Plone Theme